The Student Room Group

3rd Year Uni dropout need help about possible transfer of Uni.

I was studying History and dropped out of Uni on my 3rd and final year due to a depressive state in my life.

I was given a Certificate of Higher Education and a transcript upon leaving, my question is would it be possible to finish the 3rd year at a different University?

Also how does this work with student finance if they assume I'm just finished with higher education?

Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kenja
I was studying History and dropped out of Uni on my 3rd and final year due to a depressive state in my life.

I was given a Certificate of Higher Education and a transcript upon leaving, my question is would it be possible to finish the 3rd year at a different University?

I was at a Uni in Yorkshire but am based in London, now my situation has changed, it essentially means moving to Yorkshire would not be ideal and personally I would not like to return to that Uni again. Would starting 3rd Year in a London Uni be possible, or am I looking at potentially having to resit the entire course again?

Also how does this work with student finance if they assume I'm just finished with higher education?

Thank you.

1. You could try and transfer credits to OU.
2. You will have to ask around the London unis to see if they will accept you and let you top up.
3. If you left for MH reasons then you could try a cpr claim to student finance. This would get you a year back and then youd dstand more chance to get in somewhere for second year.
4. If you have used 3 years funding then you have 1 year left based on a normal 3 year degree.
Reply 2
Thanks, guess I'll have to ring each Uni independently and ask around.

I didn't get an official MH reason as I just went AWOL about the whole thing. I have the 1 year left on student finance but I'm not sure ifi its expired on not because it's been like 2-3 years now.
Reply 3
Quick Update: I rung a majority of Uni's in London and they all said they don't accept 3rd year entry.

I had one interview with a University down south who was willing to consider 3rd year entry and I failed the interview.

Most of the Uni's were willing to give 2nd entry a shot for me, but since my gift year of student finance will be spent on that, it would mean I would have to pay for the 3rd year out of pocket which I don't think is possible for me at the moment.
(edited 5 years ago)
Have you considered the OU as someone has already mentioned? They will accept your completed second year (assuming you get a credit transfer either to history, open (history) or if modules you took are extremely different open) and only make you take 3rd year modules, you have a years funding and this would cover the cost of the course, you wont get maintance this year but there is talk you may get part time maintance in the future and you could work along side the OU if money is a problem.
Reply 5
I can undeestand what you're going through. I go to a private university and about a week back I had to drop out in my last year after 2 sucessful years. I live in India where we do not even have a top up year. I really doubt there is a way out of this situation. I researched a lot to see if transfers are possible now. But I guess we just got to start off again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending