The Student Room Group

Can you help me ? I'm looking for Tocharian personal names and patronyms

Alright so as the title says, I've been looking for Tocharian names and despite the profusion of common names known in Tocharian B, I didn't find any personal name so far (only names transposed in Chinese, but that's not what I'm looking for).

Can anyone help me ?
Reply 1
They were Scythian, it should be fairly easy to at least find the names of some of their royalty and leaders
Reply 2
Original post by NJA
They were Scythian, it should be fairly easy to at least find the names of some of their royalty and leaders

No they weren't Scythian, you're probably talking about the Saka. But if you can find names of Tocharian royalty and leaders, I'll gladly take them.
Reply 3
Original post by Azekko
No they weren't Scythian, you're probably talking about the Saka.

So you say, I'd rather believe historians that were alive at the time:

"Most of the Scythians, beginning from the Caspian Sea, are called Scythian Daheans, and those situated more towards the east Massageteans and Saceans; the rest have the common appellation of Scythians, but each separate tribe has its peculiar name. All, or the greatest part of them, are nomads. The best known tribes are those who deprived the Greeks of Bactriana, the Asians, Pasians, Tocharians, and Sacarauls, who came from the country on the other side of the Jaxartes, opposite the Sacean and Sogdians."; (Strabo, 11-8-1)

He says that they, "together with the Assianis, Passianis and Sakaraulis took part in the destruction of the Greco-Bactrian kingdom in the second half of the 2nd century BC

These Tocharians have frequently been identified with the Yuezhi and the later (and probably related) Kushan peoples. Many scholars believe the Yuezhi originally spoke a Tocharian language. (source)

Heraios was a Kushan leader, you can see all the names in that line.

More on their coins.

Herodatus who actually lived witn the Scythians confirms that Sakae was the Persian name for the people the Greeks called Scythians.
The Behistun Rock shos that the Sacae were known to the Babylonians as the Ghimri, and Assyrians as Kumri which is the House of Omri, their name for the Israelites they took captive ... it is also wher the word Cymri comes from as they later migrated west.

Original post by Azekko
But if you can find names of Tocharian royalty and leaders, I'll gladly take them.
Tocharians were merchants. They travelled along the Silk Route through high plains, arid areas and mountain passes to China. M. Lin, in "Qilan and Kunlun-The Earliest Tokharian Loan-Words in Ancient Chinese," believes the Yuezhi to be the Tokharoi. He writes, "The Yuezhi people who came from Dunhtiang were called Tokharoi in classical Greek works and Tukhara in the ancient Indian texts"

The aforesaid highlights a prophecy given to Israel in Isaiah 49:9-12:

"I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages; That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places. They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them. And I will make all my mountains a way, and my highways shall be exalted. Behold, these shall come from far: and, lo, these from the north and from the west; and these from the land of Sinim".

Hebrew for "Sinim" is "a distant oriental region". Etymology of orient: c. 1727, originally "to arrange facing east," from French s'orienter "to take one's bearings," literally "to face the east" (also the source of German orientierung)
Latin orientem (nominative oriens) "the rising sun, the east, part of the sky where the sun rises," originally "rising" (adj.), present participle of oriri "to rise" (see "origin":wink:

They were driven out by the Huns and came to India. Tukhar or Takhar is still a Jat and Rajput clan name (Pawar 1993, 325). Moreover, it is a regular title used by Jat and Rajputs in certain regions, and by a kindred tribe known as Thakurs
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
A few here.

Quick Reply

Latest