basher2475
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
mathswatch question:
Prove,using algebra, that the difference between the squares of consecutive odd numbers is always a multiple of 8.

It is out of three but i keep on getting 2 even though i used the correct method:
2n+1+2n+3
(2n+1)²-(2n+3)²
-8n-8
-8(n+1)
-8(n+1) will always be a multiple of 8 to the difference between the squares of consecutive odd numbers(with or without this last statement i get 2 marks)

I NEED HELP URGENTLY!!! THANKS
mitchell2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by basher2475)
mathswatch question:
Prove,using algebra, that the difference between the squares of consecutive odd numbers is always a multiple of 8.

It is out of three but i keep on getting 2 even though i used the correct method:
2n+1+2n+3
(2n+1)²-(2n+3)²
-8n-8
-8(n+1)
-8(n+1) will always be a multiple of 8 to the difference between the squares of consecutive odd numbers(with or without this last statement i get 2 marks)

Where is this question from?
basher2475
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by mitchell2000)
Where is this question from?
NVM i tried a different way and got it right
mitchell2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mathswatch: algebraic proof
If it's out of three marks and you're saying that what you have is only worth two marks them I'm afraid I'm stumped xD! I can't see what else needs to be doing?

Perhaps showing your working multiplying out the brackets and then simplifying would be a mark?
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mathswatch question:

2n+1+2n+3
(2n+1)²-(2n+3)²
-8n-8
-8(n+1)

"Difference" means positive difference, i.e. the larger minus the smaller - for example, the difference between 5 and 7 is 2, not -2. Similarly here, you should be doing (2n+3)^2-(2n+1)^2, rather than (2n+1)^2-(2n+3)^2. Actually, even more elegant would be (2n+1)^2-(2n-1)^2 - can you see why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (860)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise