alicewarren
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guy!! So basically I'm choosing my highers for S5 and I'm really stuck between RMPS and Philosophy. I actually want to do medicine so my other four at English, Maths, Human Biology and Chemistry, but I've heard another 'essay' based subject would be really helpful. However, I actually have no idea which one to choose, currently I'm doing GCSE Religious Studies and i LOVE it but idk if it would be best to do philosophy for a year for a change, idk!!! If anyone has any advice or has done/is doing the courses please help me!!!!!
MLM99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From my understanding, RMPS is considered better as an academic subject which may be worth considering if you are applying for Medicine. I would recommend looking at what is involved in each course (i.e. more essay writing in RMPS)

If you enjoy studying religion I can't see a reason not to pick RMPS but obviously, it's your decision.

Why are you studying a GCSE if you are in a Scottish school? I understand some schools in Scotland offer GCSEs and A-Levels but I thought that was only for subjects that weren't available in Scotland.
alicewarren
Rep:
?
(Original post by MLM99)
From my understanding, RMPS is considered better as an academic subject which may be worth considering if you are applying for Medicine. I would recommend looking at what is involved in each course (i.e. more essay writing in RMPS)

If you enjoy studying religion I can't see a reason not to pick RMPS but obviously, it's your decision.

Why are you studying a GCSE if you are in a Scottish school? I understand some schools in Scotland offer GCSEs and A-Levels but I thought that was only for subjects that weren't available in Scotland.
Thank you so much, this was really helpful!! I'm at school in England now but I'm moving to Scotland this summer so that's why I'm doing GCSE's
MLM99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alicewarren)
Thank you so much, this was really helpful!! I'm at school in England now but I'm moving to Scotland this summer so that's why I'm doing GCSE's
Well I hope you enjoy Scotland, pack an umbrella!

I'm going into S5 next year and will be sitting RMPS at Higher next year, quite excited for it.

If you have any other questions about the different system feel free to ask.
Hiyagriva
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Alice

RMPS would be the better choice because at Higher it is possible that Medical Ethics might be the morality option. It would be worth while finding out. Also at Advanced Higher there is in depth work on Medical Ethics although only about 50 schools in Scotland offer it, especially independent (private) schools. Feel free to message me if you want more advice. I have a lot of background info on RMPS I am happy to share with you.
alicewarren
Rep:
?
Thank you!!! I think I'm definitely going to choose it, I'm really excited to!!!
(Original post by MLM99)
Well I hope you enjoy Scotland, pack an umbrella!

I'm going into S5 next year and will be sitting RMPS at Higher next year, quite excited for it.

If you have any other questions about the different system feel free to ask.
alicewarren
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiyagriva)
Hey Alice

RMPS would be the better choice because at Higher it is possible that Medical Ethics might be the morality option. It would be worth while finding out. Also at Advanced Higher there is in depth work on Medical Ethics although only about 50 schools in Scotland offer it, especially independent (private) schools. Feel free to message me if you want more advice. I have a lot of background info on RMPS I am happy to share with you.
Hey! For some reason, it won't let me private message you, so im gonna just copy my message in here......

Thank you so much for replying to my post. Basically, I'm doing GCSE Religious Studies currently in England, and I'm not too sure how similar the courses are. I'm pretty sure the school I am going to study Christianity at Higher, and that is the religion I'm studying currently. Of course, there is much more to the course, but I have covered morality issues such as the Problem of Evil, Free Will, Determinism etc.. this year, so I'm not sure if it would be worth repeating. On the other hand, I really enjoy the subject and definitely would not mind studying it again, even if the topics are similar.

I am going to an independent school called George Heriots in Edinburgh, and I will definitely double check if they do medical ethics at Advanced Higher because I would be really interested in that.

If you wouldn't mind explain a little on what the Higher course entails I would really appreciate that, sorry this has been such a long message!!!!
Hiyagriva
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am pretty sure Heriots do Medical Ethics at Advanced Higher. The Higher course has two assessment elements. There is an assignment which is worth 30 marks. It can be on any religious, moral or philosophical issue but most candidates enjoy success if it is a topic they are studying, especially from the section on religious and philosophical questions (RPQ). There are three sections to study, one on World Religions, one on Morality and one on Religious and Philosophical Questions. I checked the website but there are no details of course topics. The most popular choices and Religion and Justice and Religion and Medicine so it is likely it will be one of these two. In Religious and Philosophical Questions the overwhelming favourite is Origins of the Universe and Life followed by Existence of God. The exam is out of 80 and in World Religions and Morality you have a 10 mark and a 20 mark question in each section to answer- this applies from next year (2019) onwards. In the RPQ you have one 20 mark question to do. There will be two papers next year- this year there is only one- so no luck!switched

Your background is absolutely ideal, you'll be fine. Heriots is a school with a long and fine tradition and it has done RMPS for a very long time so there will be experience there no doubt. I must have switched the messaging facility off, I will check it! All the best with your exciting move. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and at least twice a year the temperature gets above freezing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (30)
42.25%
Take autumn exams (27)
38.03%
Look for a job (1)
1.41%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
2.82%
Take a year out (8)
11.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed