username3848098
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have quite a few questions:

1) God is Omnipotent... so why does he need to sacrifice his son?
2) Jesus was crucified and killed right? Then resurrected? So a part of God's essence was dead for some time????????????
3) How does that work... so if part of God can die, what about if the rest of God dies too?
4) Why would God send Jesus to die for salvation? Why did Jesus have to die for salvation?
5) Since believing in Jesus gives you salvation (I think): Why do Christians go to church, they know they are going to heaven already?
6) Is Jesus believed to be the son of God because he had no father? - If yes, What about Adam and Eve who had neither mother nor father?
7) Was Jesus sent in human form to make God understand human life and suffering? - If yes, Isn't God omniscient and so knows what suffering is, seeing as he created it?
8) Since God is split in 3: is each part weaker, are they only God when they join or something?
9) Why is the father part of the trinity referred to as God?
10) Why did God need to rest after creating the heavens and Earth?
11) Is the bible written by God or human? - If human, surely there are errors in it?
12) How does hell work for Christians: does the devil control hell...?

Sorry if I'm seeming ignorant, but I'm just curious, I find Chrisianity so confusing.
Thanks
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
11) A variety of different people over the years. There are many books inside the bible each written by a different person. The 4 gospels tell the story of Jesus' life from 4 different people's perspectives
5) We go to church to worship god and ask him to forgive us of our sins we have comitted that week. It's a place where we learn lessons from readings and get preached by the preacher. It's also when we get a piece of bread and wine as is done at the last supper
6) Yes, he is the son of god(not because he has no father as god is his father). The Adam and Eve part I have no answer to
7) I wouldn't say it was for God to understand suffering but he came down to teach lessons and preach to us all and then he was resurrected on the cross to take away all our sins

(I'll edit this as I read your other questions)
username3848098
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
11) A variety of different people over the years. There are many books inside the bible each written by a different person. The 4 gospels tell the story of Jesus' life from 4 different people's perspectives

(I'll edit this as I read your other questions)
thanks
username3848098
Rep:
?
LOL:ahee:
username3848098
Rep:
?
Curious to know why you think all religions are ridiculous?
I'm a muslim...
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
is this for an exam? because God is God. he said he wasn't going to tell you everything because it would blow your frickin mind and he meant it.

(you can use that for any question. hope that helps)
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by qali23)
I have quite a few questions:

1) God is Omnipotent... so why does he need to sacrifice his son?
2) Jesus was crucified and killed right? Then resurrected? So a part of God's essence was dead for some time????????????
3) How does that work... so if part of God can die, what about if the rest of God dies too?
4) Why would God send Jesus to die for salvation? Why did Jesus have to die for salvation?
5) Since believing in Jesus gives you salvation (I think): Why do Christians go to church, they know they are going to heaven already?
6) Is Jesus believed to be the son of God because he had no father? - If yes, What about Adam and Eve who had neither mother nor father?
7) Was Jesus sent in human form to make God understand human life and suffering? - If yes, Isn't God omniscient and so knows what suffering is, seeing as he created it?
8) Since God is split in 3: is each part weaker, are they only God when they join or something?
9) Why is the father part of the trinity referred to as God?
10) Why did God need to rest after creating the heavens and Earth?
11) Is the bible written by God or human? - If human, surely there are errors in it?
12) How does hell work for Christians: does the devil control hell...?

Sorry if I'm seeming ignorant, but I'm just curious, I find Chrisianity so confusing.
Thanks
  1. I think it's partly for us to have that idea to latch onto, that God should give up his only-begotten son for us is dreadful, and embodies the essense of sacrifice to us. Also it echoes Abraham almost sacrificing his own son.
  2. Jesus was fully man and fully God. Not two people, but think of a human man, but with God's own essence for a soul. Being killed separated him from God's presence - the ultimate punishment.
  3. No part of God died.
  4. Torah demands sacrifices to atone for sins, and Christianity is founded on those same laws. By providing a perfect, clean sacrifice such as Christ, all those laws are fulfilled.
  5. Christians attend church to learn, and to remind ourselves of what we are and what we must do. You can't be a Christian and not act on it. Literally, by definition.
  6. Jesus was engendered by God, that's said clearly in the Gospel. How I think of it is that if God can manifest in any way he wants, as requirement dictates, he could easily have impregnated Mary through simply manifesting semen inside her, or an already-fertilized egg. Virgin birth is possible, we know - what else are turkey basters for?
  7. Jesus was sent in human form to live life as a human and be tempted as a human - thus proving and ensuring that his sinlessness was true when his time to be executed came.
  8. They are three but one. Three facets of one being. Think about any dad: at home he is a father; at his parents' home he is a son; at work he is a (insert occupation).
  9. He isn't, any more than the Son or the Holy Spirit.
  10. I have a feeling the resting idea is symbolic; Christ said that the Sabbath was made for man, not the other way round. That being the case, what better way to make sure people get a day of rest every week than by saying, as God, that even you needed to rest?
  11. The Bible, we believe, was written by humans, through inspiration from God.
  12. Hell is complete separation from God's love. Satan is not in charge of hell; he will be its highest-security prisoner - but at this point, we believe Satan and the rest of his agents are still abroad on Earth. Hell is as yet unpopulated; those to be cast there will be cast there at the End.
username3848098
Rep:
?
Interesting... I sometimes would question statements too, but once you understand them too. For example, in the Quran it says 'Kill them whereever you find them' and I thought WHAT!. I listened to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3XYnc1YVQ

Explanations are available for statements you think are ridiculous... what fictional stories are there? Just curious... interesting to see people's points of view.

Some scientific studies show that religion is in fact healthy... you work hard and work within laws etc...
People who think they will die and turn to dust will potentially get depressed...
You must have thought 'life has to be more'. I do believe that there are some things which cannot be explained, I believe we have a soul and all...
username3848098
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
is this for an exam? because God is God. he said he wasn't going to tell you everything because it would blow your frickin mind and he meant it.

(you can use that for any question. hope that helps)
Yes, my GCSE exam today.
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tootles)
  1. I think it's partly for us to have that idea to latch onto, that God should give up his only-begotten son for us is dreadful, and embodies the essense of sacrifice to us. Also it echoes Abraham almost sacrificing his own son.
  2. Jesus was fully man and fully God. Not two people, but think of a human man, but with God's own essence for a soul. Being killed separated him from God's presence - the ultimate punishment.
  3. No part of God died.
  4. Torah demands sacrifices to atone for sins, and Christianity is founded on those same laws. By providing a perfect, clean sacrifice such as Christ, all those laws are fulfilled.
  5. Christians attend church to learn, and to remind ourselves of what we are and what we must do. You can't be a Christian and not act on it. Literally, by definition.
  6. Jesus was engendered by God, that's said clearly in the Gospel. How I think of it is that if God can manifest in any way he wants, as requirement dictates, he could easily have impregnated Mary through simply manifesting semen inside her, or an already-fertilized egg. Virgin birth is possible, we know - what else are turkey basters for?
  7. Jesus was sent in human form to live life as a human and be tempted as a human - thus proving and ensuring that his sinlessness was true when his time to be executed came.
  8. They are three but one. Three facets of one being. Think about any dad: at home he is a father; at his parents' home he is a son; at work he is a (insert occupation).
  9. He isn't, any more than the Son or the Holy Spirit.
  10. I have a feeling the resting idea is symbolic; Christ said that the Sabbath was made for man, not the other way round. That being the case, what better way to make sure people get a day of rest every week than by saying, as God, that even you needed to rest?
  11. The Bible, we believe, was written by humans, through inspiration from God.
  12. Hell is complete separation from God's love. Satan is not in charge of hell; he will be its highest-security prisoner - but at this point, we believe Satan and the rest of his agents are still abroad on Earth. Hell is as yet unpopulated; those to be cast there will be cast there at the End.
Is Heaven unpopulated too? When is the End going to be? And where are all the people now that will be put there?
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by qali23)
Yes, my GCSE exam today.
wow -- they ask you some tough questions!! i'm sure you'll do great. just keep what i said in your back pocket (lol not sure what bible verse it is but i know it's there somewhere. maybe you can use it for an extra point)
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sataris)
Is Heaven unpopulated too? When is the End going to be? And where are all the people now that will be put there?
Heaven is just a word for the Kingdom of God, so it's God's "base of operations", you might say. He lives there with his own retinue.

Nobody knows when the End will be. Christ tells us it will come "like a thief in the night".

Where are all the people who will be put where? Do you mean those who have died and not yet gone Above or Below? Basically, time doesn't matter to God, so those who have died are simply waiting - frozen save-states, you might say - and will be restored at the End, to fight in Armageddon. It is after then that Judgment will take place: those who put their faith in God through Christ being sent Above, and those who didn't being sent Below, along with Satan and his crowd,
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tootles)
Heaven is just a word for the Kingdom of God, so it's God's "base of operations", you might say. He lives there with his own retinue.

Nobody knows when the End will be. Christ tells us it will come "like a thief in the night".

Where are all the people who will be put where? Do you mean those who have died and not yet gone Above or Below? Basically, time doesn't matter to God, so those who have died are simply waiting - frozen save-states, you might say - and will be restored at the End, to fight in Armageddon. It is after then that Judgment will take place: those who put their faith in God through Christ being sent Above, and those who didn't being sent Below, along with Satan and his crowd,
Who's in God's retinue? Will the faithful join it after the End?

I read a little about Armageddon but I'm not clear on exactly what kind of conflict it will be. Could you expand?
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sataris)
Who's in God's retinue? Will the faithful join it after the End?

I read a little about Armageddon but I'm not clear on exactly what kind of conflict it will be. Could you expand?
Well, angels and the like. Immortals. The faithful will join after Judgment.

I could expand, but if I did that post would be bigger than me, to be frank. Essentially it's the final conflict between God and Satan. I can't say much, mostly because of time. I would recommend you grab a Bible and read: John's Gospel, the Acts of the Apostles, and the Revelation. Preferably in a modern translation like the NIV or the ESV, King James is crap and inaccurate. I'm not pushing you away btw, it's just likely to be easier for you to understand by reading the text for yourself, that way nothing gets missed out (or munged as I try and remember).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (217)
33.8%
No (425)
66.2%

Watched Threads