New managers thread Watch

Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It seems like there will be a lot of turn over in managers this season..

So far we've had Arsene Wenger announce he is stepping down and now news that Big Sam has been sacked by Everton.

Looks like Arteta and and probably Marco Silva are the likely replacements.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moyes gone as well. Conte will soon follow after the FA cup final.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very interested to see who Chelsea go for.

Seen West Ham want Manuel Pellegrini which would be an excellent appointment.
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It makes you laugh really. Moyes and Allardyce both did what they were brought in to do and in the way you'd expect them to do it, but then both get sacked anyway.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by scriggy)
It makes you laugh really. Moyes and Allardyce both did what they were brought in to do and in the way you'd expect them to do it, but then both get sacked anyway.
Nothing wrong with that though. Everton were a good team that should have finished upper midtable, but things didn't work out start of the season, so they brought in a manager capable of taking on clubs in trouble and delivering midtable finishes. West Ham were a solidly mid-table side. Similarly they were mainly looking to bring in an experienced manager and ensure they avoided relegation. Both managers brought in to do short term jobs not advance long term aims.

If you've got ambitions beyond midtable finishes neither of those managers are ones you would look to appoint. West Ham are looking at poaching Bentiez from you guys. He's a manager of high quality than Moyes who could push West Ham into a EL spot for example.
scriggy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fizzel)
Nothing wrong with that though. Everton were a good team that should have finished upper midtable, but things didn't work out start of the season, so they brought in a manager capable of taking on clubs in trouble and delivering midtable finishes. West Ham were a solidly mid-table side. Similarly they were mainly looking to bring in an experienced manager and ensure they avoided relegation. Both managers brought in to do short term jobs not advance long term aims.

If you've got ambitions beyond midtable finishes neither of those managers are ones you would look to appoint. West Ham are looking at poaching Bentiez from you guys. He's a manager of high quality than Moyes who could push West Ham into a EL spot for example.
Yeah i don't even disagree with it I just find it funny. The club's looking for managers will take a punt looking for the next Pocchetino, but they'll more likely turn out to be the next Frank De Boer, and then Allardyce and Moyes will be employed again in the Autumn.

Don't even want to acknowledge the Benitez rumour tbh.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Out of the two clubs, West Ham and Everton, only the latter seem like they've got a plan with their hiring of Brands and prospective signing of Silva as manager who they've wanted for a long time until they were left with no option but to settle with Big Sam who did the job he is skilled in, making them comfortable in the league. Big Sam being bolshy Big Sam didn't help and he was never going to win the fans over.

Moyes on the other hand, did a good job at West Ham. Kept them up with two games to spare, got the best out of Arnautovic, Masuaku and dealing with the endless grief the owners give him via the odd horrendous public comment or gaffe. I don't see who they can bring in: Fonseca used them for a wage-hike at Shakhtar; I don't see Benitez, for all his troubles with Ashley, leaving Newcastle for what he's built and potentially what he could build *IF* a takeover happens (unlikely); Pellegrini has been managing in China so that says it all for how his stock has dropped since winning the title at City and he may deliver the 'West Ham way' but that squad isn't really conducive to that type of football. Had they stuck with Moyes and his nous at getting defensive reinforcements in they could have stabilized against next season but fear they'll have the usual disharmony and unstability at the season gone.

Arteta at Arsenal seems nailed on, probably fitting as a Kroenke/Gazidis appointment rather than going all out for Enrique or even Ancelotti. They want a manager who can help them get top four again, maybe win a trophy, but essentially do what Wenger did but without the aggro from the fans of wanting the manager out. A gamble but Arsenal seem to have slowly eeked out the big names for the cosy candidate they want.
Maestro88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surprised no one has quoted the Real Betis manager, Quique Setien, for any of these roles. Maybe he doesnt speak English...not sure. However, his team are one of the best to watch in Europe and guarantee attacking football. Lots of high scoring games and in the last two months he sorted their defence out. They finished above their rivals Sevilla despite having a much lower budget.

Worth considering ahead of all the usual 'safe' appointments that all seem to do the rounds and swap jobs every couple of years!

M88
mr tim
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Swansea and Stoke managers have now left their clubs. Former won't have his contract renewed and latter by mutual consent
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stoke's chief executive Paul Scholes worked with David Moyes at Preston, the latter who is available having left West Ham. Stoke's owners would be keen for Moyes to take over and re-build the spirit in the dressing room and take them back up. It's a club which if Moyes gets them promoted, he could easily be given the stability and time he had at Everton.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44109888 Lambert gone
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maestro88)
Surprised no one has quoted the Real Betis manager, Quique Setien, for any of these roles. Maybe he doesnt speak English...not sure. However, his team are one of the best to watch in Europe and guarantee attacking football. Lots of high scoring games and in the last two months he sorted their defence out. They finished above their rivals Sevilla despite having a much lower budget.

Worth considering ahead of all the usual 'safe' appointments that all seem to do the rounds and swap jobs every couple of years!

M88
Likewise you have to wonder whether a high-performing lower-league manager might ever be brought in by a PL club to have a go and see what they can do with a better squad. Someone like Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, for example.
Maestro88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Likewise you have to wonder whether a high-performing lower-league manager might ever be brought in by a PL club to have a go and see what they can do with a better squad. Someone like Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, for example.
Exactly, why not - a lot of these guys would be a breath of fresh air. Also, its a little surprising that there isnt more managers coming through a non-traditional route to club management - theres a lot of evidence that being a good player bears no correlation to (football) managerial abilities. Jose Mourinho and Brendan Rodgers are two examples of high profile managers (leaving aside their tactical preferences for a minute!) who had less than distinguished playing careers (I don't even think Rodgers played a game as a pro) but have made a name for themselves as managers/coaches.

Too many clubs scared to take a chance these days!
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by sr90)
Very interested to see who Chelsea go for.

Seen West Ham want Manuel Pellegrini which would be an excellent appointment.
Sarri now being heavily linked to Chelsea.
mr tim
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unai Emery set to be Arsenal manager
TheMagicRat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I agree, I'd love to see some of these people get a chance. Never going to happen though. Only way those guys get to manage in the Premier League is if they get promoted to it. It seems like its a British managers thing as well. There's no logical reason why Carvalhal should've got a crack at the Premier League over some of the British managers but there you go.
shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pellegrini in at west ham. Looks like he'll sign Joe Hart permanently and bring in other ex City players. Nasri perhaps? Or ex Villarreal/Malaga players like Lucas Piazon who was on loan under him?
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Wow I'm pretty impressed with West Ham getting Pellegrini
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (47)
23.15%
My career doesn't need one (28)
13.79%
I'm sick of studying (43)
21.18%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.46%
I don't know enough about them (14)
6.9%