Why is it predominantly working class males that gamble? Watch

Stealth-Mode
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
I don't understand that viewpoint. Working class males have least to lose even though they're living on closer to subsistence wages than the middle classes?
Exactly. They tend not to have the second mortgage, the annual holidays, the two cars in the driveway etc....much more hand to mouth living. When you have nothing, or near to it, loosing it all is not as daunting as it is for the very wealthy for example, as it doesn't take long to recoup.

What about this viewpoint is so obscure? I take it that you have never had nothing:rolleyes:
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stealth-Mode)
Exactly. They tend not to have the second mortgage, the annual holidays, the two cars in the driveway etc....much more hand to mouth living. When you have nothing, or near to it, loosing it all is not as daunting as it is for the very wealthy for example, as it doesn't take long to recoup.

What about this viewpoint is so obscure? I take it that you have never had nothing:rolleyes:
Lose your second home or lose your only home :rolleyes:

Which do you think is the greatest loss there?
Stealth-Mode
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
Lose your second home or lose your only home :rolleyes:

Which do you think is the greatest loss there?
You still don't understand.

I'm not talking about all the working class, just the extremely small minority that habitually gamble. They are not likely to own any home whatsoever. Or have any assets/wealth. Those with substantial money hold on to it for dear life= 'tighter that a cat's arse' as it were.
bowdeni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has no one considered the possibility that the people you see in bookies (old white men) are the ones who still haven't jumped onto the online betting bandwagon?

Anyone who bets a lot will tend to use Betfair.

It's hard to comment on this when people I know all go to uni. I won £1k in February from gambling
Casserole
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gemz87)
Not sure, I hate walking into local bookies to collect winnings, I get the oddest of looks. Even the staff get suspicious, so I send my dad in now
Regular winner? How much have you made off gambling so far? Tips please.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My experience is from working in a bookies. But, you must remember that this is one of the worst places to gamble.

The regular customers were almost exclusively lower working class men; white, chinese but with few afro-carribean (in a mostly white/afro-carribean) area.

However, there were a small number of better educated, mostly white, men of varying ages who bet occasionally and big. They were the winners.

The former group are fairly easy to identify as the habitual gamblers - betting fivers on payday, pennies later in the month. The latter group definately knew what they were doing.

But remember; that there are far more online gamblers, bingo players and people who regularly go to racetracks who gamble similarly but represent different social groups. Not to mention the occasional 'night at the dogs', 'flutter on the national' or 'day at the races' type of people who represent another.
Casserole
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
However, there were a small number of better educated, mostly white, men of varying ages who bet occasionally and big. They were the winners.

The latter group definately knew what they were doing.
Why do you think that is? Were they 'insiders', or read up about what was happening? What gave you the impression they knew what to do? And what sort of amounts are we talking?
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cos they need the money more!!
All at once
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
But, you must remember that this is one of the worst places to gamble.

Why's that?
President George Bush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by All at once)
Why's that?
-odds are terrible, to the point where you can't win
-the kind of people that frequent them
theinternetneverlies
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=L i b]Yeah, you get a lot of that here too. Quite depressing watching old Oriental women playing slot machines at 2am.

You made your post at 2am!

And yes it is.

On the topic though, perhaps middle class people just gamble online. I think we should follow the American route of banning online gambling - not being able to see the money flowing out of their wallet encourages people to gamble more.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Casserole)
Why do you think that is? Were they 'insiders', or read up about what was happening? What gave you the impression they knew what to do? And what sort of amounts are we talking?
The regulars would put one or two quid on everything - horses, dogs & virtual - the winners would put five grand to win on one horse race maybe once or twice a week.

They were almost certainly insiders - knew the trade, knew the form, knew the rumours - didn't always win though, just won enough.
Gemz87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Casserole)
Regular winner? How much have you made off gambling so far? Tips please.
I never lose. I've made about £3k from starting with £200.
President George Bush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you never lose and are making consistent profit, why don't you up the stakes and make enough money to lead a life of luxury??
Gemz87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by President George Bush)
if you never lose and are making consistent profit, why don't you up the stakes and make enough money to lead a life of luxury??
Because I had to use the £3k I made to clear some debts and buy myself a car.

Once I get £500 together again I'll get back into it. Couldn't do it full-time, far too dull and money isn't much of a motivator for me.
President George Bush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:laugh:

if your system is makig profits, why not take out loans or borrow money off relatives to create a bigger starting bank? thus bigger profits.

there's only one set of people who having a winning system for gambling, they're BOOKMAKERS.
Gemz87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by President George Bush)

if your system is makig profits, why not take out loans or borrow money off relatives to create a bigger starting bank? thus bigger profits.

there's only one set of people who having a winning system for gambling, they're BOOKMAKERS.
I love the irony of you ":laugh:"-ing

Because I don't want to be indebted to banks or relatives, plus that would be ridiculous as a loan would cost. I have used 0% CCs before but alas, the crunch has hit big time and my income isn't attractive to CC companies.

I never actually said I was "gambling" though.
All at once
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Gemz87)
I never actually said I was "gambling" though.
lol what else do you do in a bookies?
President George Bush
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

goes shopping for shoes?

women don't understand gambling, this is a prime example.
brightxburns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They have nothing better to do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.46%
No - I got the required grades (114)
57.87%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.68%

Watched Threads