Rejected. Watch

spider from mars
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend is at medical school atm and she only got accepted into one of her choices. It was the last one to respond as far as I remember. Don't give up hope yet - wait until all the replies come in before you start writing things off.
bangler
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
hey - this is for the op. Im 20 too, have no degree and schite gcse grades (i only have 6!) - but i managed to get four interviews this year for medicine, and so far have two offers. I would advise against a different degree - if your heart is really set on medicine, because entry for the four year graduate courses is much more competitive - AND you will have a helluva time funding a second undergraduate degree. The shows not over until you hear back from everyone, i hope you get good news btw - but if not, i would try and find out where the shortcomings were in your application - maybe you need more vol work, maybe more work experience would give you a better understanding & more of an edge at interview - spend a year amending these things - and try again! We're young, and i kno what its like with all your mates at uni and your family wondering why u rnt etc - but dont stress - there are plenty of things to fill a year - solo travelling to name one - volunteer abroad, defo not a waste of a year ! but an entire undergraduate degree - one that you're using as a stopping gap .... think long and hard about it, its not always the best way.

good luck xx
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im 21 this year, Im applying to study medicine- I have just been rejected by a uni. Thats my second one, I just went to an interview and Im waiting to hear from another uni. But I feel so gutted. I pretty much have two more option left.

I know there are others with three rejections, but the course was at Kings for those with GCSE crappy grades. I mean if they cant accept me, then why would another medical school accept me.

I feel that I have wasted my life, I am at college doing A-levels- a 2 year course again in science subjects to apply for mediicne. As I already went to college and got crappy grades A-evel arty grades. I was so happy when my AS results came out and I got As. But now, I feel so gutted.

I always thought that Kings would be a good option for me, my insurance against my other potential rejections.

All my friends have gone to Uni, family and friends think its strange that I havent gone to uni. I feel so stuck, I want to move on. If I go uni, I will be older than the direct college leavers and then with the mature students- I will be the odd one out without a degree.Perhaps my friend was right, I am too dumb to study medicine.

As I have taken two years out already, I dont know if I should take a gap year- again and reapply for next year. Or just go uni and study some random degree.

Im sorry for the rant.
Nah. You're dumb in that you think you can't do medicine, but smart in that you've got A's in science A-levels. It's a bit of a lottery to be honest, although obviously you need to be good. I got turned down by every medical school except for Cambridge.... so that says something. Keep trying!

Good luck with the next ones
JessMeg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really don't think you should give up hope just yet! You still have your other choices and it's not final until then. I applied for Vet Med and got 3 rejections and then I got an offer from my first choice when I pretty much thought I'd have to take a gap year!

Even if you have to take a gap year, just spend it getting loads more experience for when you re-apply and you can also use it to save up some money for uni too.

It only takes one offer!!
Eragon452
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by folde)
It isn't just you. There are so many people I know who are applying for medicine and aren't getting places for no reason at all. It seems so random. I wouldn't take the rejections as an indication if you have As in your A/S levels, every university seems to have a different approach. I know a person who got abcc in their a/s levels and has an offer, but others with the right grades and four rejections. You can't even tell with interviews, the ones you think went well could turn out to be rejections and the crap ones get you an offer. It seems really unfair, I know how you feel, but there's nothing you can do besides sticking with it. I don't think you can make any assumptions about what will happen.
"The right grades"? You can't say what are the right or wrong grades. As for different approaches, I've heard a lot of people and peoples parents saying you only got into UCL because you complained, and that they usually let that type of thing go by so that no one contacts the newspaper or starts a lawsuit. I'm not saying this, just pointing out that a lot of people are saying it.
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mahi_ve)
lol at "mentally stressed - health"

graduate medicine is harder? surely if you can show the Uni that you can stick to a course (as you would've done to get your BSc) they'd be more likely to take you on. In any case, its better than wasting your time taking gap years (after you've had two already). Whats the gurantee you will get accepted next year when you try?
There is no definite gurantee even with post grad but atleast you would have something!
Logically what you say makes perfect sense, but we're talking about med admissions here, where you never know whats going on :p: :eek:

OP, if you want to do medicine I would stick at it, I really would. I cant speak for you, but if it were me I wouldn't do another degree just yet. I would always be thinking during that degree that I should be doing medicine.

You need to start thinking about this when you have 4 rejections, which at the moment you do not. Grad medicine is more competitive, post about it in the med forum and most current med students would agree.

Its frustrating and you just want to hear whats going on right now, but just wait for the other 2 and see how it goes. You only need 1 offer after all. If you had 3 or 4 you'd have to be pretty damn strange to be able to go to all of them at the same time :p:

Good luck xxx
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yuffie)
"The right grades"? You can't say what are the right or wrong grades. As for different approaches, I've heard a lot of people and peoples parents saying you only got into UCL because you complained, and that they usually let that type of thing go by so that no one contacts the newspaper or starts a lawsuit. I'm not saying this, just pointing out that a lot of people are saying it.

I think what the poster is saying is the AS grades that are on track for the standard offer of AAB or AAA. I think you can, this is a gross hyperbole but to get UUUUU at AS you'd have to be superman to get AAB/AAA at A2, if anyone could do this Id bow down to them.

Therefore you can say in some cases, which are "right" and "wrong" grades...we're talking about extremes here of course. But you need more than just academics to get accepted to medical school and to go on to become a good doctor.

My friend got into QMUL after being rejected by complaining that what they had rejected her for (the UKCAT score) at that time they hadnt specified a cut off (or something along those lines), she's there now and loves it. At the end of the day its a place, you're lucky to get it whatever the case.
Eragon452
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
I think what the poster is saying is the AS grades that are on track for the standard offer of AAB or AAA. I think you can, this is a gross hyperbole but to get UUUUU at AS you'd have to be superman to get AAB/AAA at A2, if anyone could do this Id bow down to them.

Therefore you can say in some cases, which are "right" and "wrong" grades...we're talking about extremes here of course. But you need more than just academics to get accepted to medical school and to go on to become a good doctor.

My friend got into QMUL after being rejected by complaining that what they had rejected her for (the UKCAT score) at that time they hadnt specified a cut off (or something along those lines), she's there now and loves it. At the end of the day its a place, you're lucky to get it whatever the case.
I suppose, though most schools tend to predict one or two grades above, so someone who got CCCC at AS still often get predicted AAAA so the people getting offers for medicine with low AS grades might have more experience/a better suited personality. Grades aren't everything.
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suppose, though most schools tend to predict one or two grades above, so someone who got CCCC at AS still often get predicted AAAA so the people getting offers for medicine with low AS grades might have more experience/a better suited personality .
That's part of the problem though and why so many more applicants are having to wait another year and apply with known grades. Predicted grades from the school/referee are sometimes unreliable because clearly the school want them to get a place, thus they will over-predict their A2 grades. By the same token those who got AAAAA sometimes get complacent and dont get the A2, I suppose its subjective. But you need some sort of benchmark academically to help them sift through the 1000's that want a interview and place.

And whilst I agree by no means are A levels the best way of showing whether an individual is going to be a good doctor or not, you need the entrance req's to get an interview, where you really can show off your personality in a greater way than you do for your PS.

Grades aren't everything.
I agree

(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
But you need more than just academics to get accepted to medical school and to go on to become a good doctor.
folde
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The right grades are the actual grades that the universities ask for, not the predicted grades. And as for your comment on different approaches, that isn't an approach and it's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. By 'a lot of people' you clearly mean about two people, who coincidentally are incredibly spiteful and bitter, and were also the people advising me to do so. Secondly, neither you or they have any idea what was actually written, so really don't have any right to judge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (50)
26.88%
No (136)
73.12%

Watched Threads