Blow drying hair curly.. Watch

Archibald246
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
When i go to my hairdressers, they kind of blow dry my hair but make it curly. I have naturally curly hair, and generally just put mousse on it, but i would love to know how to do this. At the moment, if i go near my hair with a hair dryer, it just goes massively frizzy... They kind of just wind it round one of those round brush things, dry it somehow and then unravel it and it's like ringlets! Magic... But any idea how i could do it? I have a round brush if that helps! Thanks for any tips, it would be nice to have a change in the type of curl i can have..
oh_wow_lovely
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
as you blow dry it, keep spinning the round brush left or right depending on the direction you want the curl to go.. if that make sense. mousse before and a touch of hairspray after would probably help
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't brush or comb your hair after you get out of the shower.
Scrunch in your mousse (or other product)
Scrunch out extra water with a towel
Use this method to dry:

Diffusing
If one must use a hair dryer, a diffuser should be attached to the end of hte nozzle. A diffuser will diffuse the air from the blow dryer, so the air stream hits a larger surface area and is more gentle, so the curls won't be blown around.

The two different types of diffusers that I'm familiar with are the sock diffuser and the bowl diffuser. My personal favorite is a bowl diffuser with fingers (the one I currently use is from Sally Beauty Supply, but I've had several through the years and, as long as it's huge like the one in the link, they've all worked equally well). Since the "fingers" scrunch my curls as I'm drying, I wind up with far tighter ringlets than I would otherwise.

However, diffusers only work if one has the patience to use them correctly. First thing in the morning, before I've had my coffee, I absolutely do not.

Bowl diffusers should just be used to support your curl while your hair is drying. The best step-by-step diffusing instructions I've ever seen were written by username "pixiecurl" on naturallycurly.com, so I will quote her here:

"here's the method i've found for maximizing curls/volume and minimizing frizz:

flip hair upside down and put hair from front middle section (closest to forehead in the bowl of the diffuser, and hold bowl all the way against scalp so it is "scrunching" your curls for you. THEN i turn the dryer on, pressing the cool shot whenever it gets too hot for my scalp. i then TURN IT OFF before removing the bowl from my scalp. then i go to the front right section and repeat, then front left, then flip right side up and get the underside, then flip back upside down and get anywhere i missed. i don't diffuse until 100% dry, and it doesn't look quite right until it's finished airdrying all the way and i flip upside down and scrunch again.

the key is only having the blowdryer on when the bowl is against your scalp because this minimizes your hair getting blown around and thus minimizes frizz."
spider from mars
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
And while we're on the subject of diffusers, has anyone seen this:

(Original post by amazon)
Sedusa was developed to allow people to be able to dry their hair and create natural curls and movement with ease in a short space of time.The spirals inside the Sedusa encourage the natural structure of your hair to follow the path of least resistance. Even on straight hair this means the spirals cause the hair to bend, move, kink or curl. The amount of curl produced will depend upon each individual's hair type & texture, thus creating your own individual look.On naturally wavy, curly or permed hair the spirals encourage the curl to be more defined. The results are even better when Sedusa is used with a curl enhancing product, for example a mousse, styling crème or gel.The deep bowl design enables the user to place all their hair inside the bowl whilst drying. The hair benifits from drying in a controlled environment which prevents it from swelling or bushing out. The heat produced through the appertures does not disperse into the air, as with a conventional diffuser, but circulates inside the bowl to dry the hair more quickly.
£40 on Amazon. £40! I'm intrigued as to what exactly is so good about it that it's so much more expensive than a regular one (although of course you can get it on ebay for about £15).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (209)
22.69%
The paper was reasonable (416)
45.17%
Not feeling great about that exam... (172)
18.68%
It was TERRIBLE (124)
13.46%

Watched Threads