The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Retaking a year

Hi, I am a current first year at Portsmouth university. Since I started going to uni, I had found it had the opposite effect on me than what I expected - I began to feel extremely depressed, socially anxious and generally reserved from the outside world. This has taken its toll on my studying to the point where I wouldn't study for weeks on end unless I had coursework due, and I missed out on 40% of my lectures because of not wanting to even go outside and face the world. My lecturers intervened and suggested the student well being service which I eventually went to see. After being told I was most likely depressed, they told me to go see the GP. I have an appointment with the GP which I am yet to go to, but I have realised I am not prepared for my exams next week and the pressure of being the first in my family to go to uni has created so much fear and tension I still can't bring myself to revise. If my exam results do not go as planned, is it possible to take a gap year out to address my personal issues (and save up more too), and then reapply to uni the following year? I know how disappointed my parents will feel however I know I won't be able to cope with year 2 and I am desperate for help. Thanks in advance.

p.s sorry for the long essay
Original post by SickUsername
Hi, I am a current first year at Portsmouth university. Since I started going to uni, I had found it had the opposite effect on me than what I expected - I began to feel extremely depressed, socially anxious and generally reserved from the outside world. This has taken its toll on my studying to the point where I wouldn't study for weeks on end unless I had coursework due, and I missed out on 40% of my lectures because of not wanting to even go outside and face the world. My lecturers intervened and suggested the student well being service which I eventually went to see. After being told I was most likely depressed, they told me to go see the GP. I have an appointment with the GP which I am yet to go to, but I have realised I am not prepared for my exams next week and the pressure of being the first in my family to go to uni has created so much fear and tension I still can't bring myself to revise. If my exam results do not go as planned, is it possible to take a gap year out to address my personal issues (and save up more too), and then reapply to uni the following year? I know how disappointed my parents will feel however I know I won't be able to cope with year 2 and I am desperate for help. Thanks in advance.

p.s sorry for the long essay

Given that your tutors are aware why not apply for extenuating circumstances and to interrupt? The SU should be able to help as well. If you sit your exams and don't do well without having applied for extenuating circumstances the grades will still go on your record or you will have to resit with capped grades.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Will it be possible to apply for one successfully if my exams start next week?

Original post by alleycat393
Given that your tutors are aware why not apply for extenuating circumstances and to interrupt? The SU should be able to help as well. If you sit your exams and don't do well without having applied for extenuating circumstances the grades will still go on your record or you will have to resit with capped grades.
Original post by SickUsername
Will it be possible to apply for one successfully if my exams start next week?

I wouldn't know as it's dependent on your uni's regulations and deadlines. Talk to your tutor ASAP.
Original post by alleycat393
I wouldn't know as it's dependent on your uni's regulations and deadlines. Talk to your tutor ASAP.

Okay thankyou so much for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending