Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently trying to decide what to do for part II, thinking probably zoology and wondered if anyone had suggestion/experiences of good modules to pick? Basically I don't want anything too.....challenging and not too keen on lab work.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not keen on lab work, you'd probably be better off doing the Biological and Biomedical Sciences for your part II. You pick a major subject, which in your case would be Zoology, then a minor subject and a dissertation, which can be on either your major or your minor sibject. You have 5 exams (4 in your major and 1 in your minor) and 1 dissertation; all are weighted equally, so about 16% each. For example, I do Path as my major, and Biology of Parasites as my minor.

ReputationRep:
    So path doesn't involve any lab work?
    The reason I was looking at Zoology was the field projects look really interesting and I quite like the idea of sitting around watching birds rather sitting in a lab or writing a really long dissertation! BTW how long is a dissertation?
    I've heard the field projects are quite competitive to get on though?

Do you know anyone doing vertebrate evolution or animal behaviour/neuro+animal behaviour?

Sorry for all the question there are just so many choices! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy princess)
    So path doesn't involve any lab work?
    The reason I was looking at Zoology was the field projects look really interesting and I quite like the idea of sitting around watching birds rather sitting in a lab or writing a really long dissertation! BTW how long is a dissertation?
    I've heard the field projects are quite competitive to get on though?

Do you know anyone doing vertebrate evolution or animal behaviour/neuro+animal behaviour?

Sorry for all the question there are just so many choices! :confused:
    Path BBS doesn't involve lab work. As far as I know, none of the BBS combinations involve lab work. The Part II NST combos (Path, Pharm, Zoology, Neuro, Expt Psych etc.) and PDN involve projects. BBS subjects involve dissertations and minor papers.

ReputationRep:
    The dissertation is 6000 words long. Which isn't very long really *must not rant about dissertation*
    My friend did a project (in Zoology I think) which involved going to Madingley Woods for 8am for about a fortnight to pin things on trees and see how moths reacted to them. (There may have been more detail to it than that!) I think my other friend is doing Zoology too, but has opted to do a literature review for one of her projects instead. There is a certain amount of competition to get onto single subjects rather than BBS, since there is a limit on how many people can fit in the labs etc. so obviously they will take the best, and Zoology interviews as well as going on exam marks. So if you don't get onto single subject Zoology, you could still take it as your major.
    There will be a big fair at some point with representatives from all the subject options, and millions of leaflets that explain the wierd system.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we have a fair on friday so i will defo look into taking zoology as a major as an alternative to a single subject. Still thinking that projects seem like the way to go though, I am particularly entrigued by mudsnails lol
    Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    awsome I was about to ask about part II too but I'm swaying more towards doing the developmental side of PDN.... I was wondering if anyone knew how academically demanding the options are (i.e. P2, P3, P4, P5 & P6, P7)? as i was kinda thinking of trying to have a more relaxed year than now.

ReputationRep:
    also is it true that you don't get lecture note in PDN

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any people on here that do PDN I'm afraid.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.