Student Associate Scheme Watch

mark1988
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have applied for the scheme and I have been offered an interview with the lady in charge of the scheme at my University, but was wondering, what sort of things do they ask in the interview?
brak3n
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They asked me pretty similar things to what was on the application. There were specific questions about showing your initiative and why do you think you would be a good role-model, and a question about team work.
I had my interview last Wednesday and I'm just waiting on hearing back now
gillipies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did the SAS last summer at UCE, now Birmingham City Uni, and really enjoyed it, it's an excellent experience whether you are seriously considering going into teaching or just want to try it out.

My interview was done in a group of about ten other applicants. We just had to introduce ourselves and then talk for a couple of minutes each about how we'd 'sell' our subject to school children and why we thought going in to further and higher education was important and how we would explain these advantages to school children.

Then for the rest of it the interviwer just talked about the scheme and answered our questions.

It wasn't too demanding... good luck with it!
mark1988
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies. Im finding it hard to come up with something about using initiative. Any points in the right direction??
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mark1988)
Thanks for the replies. Im finding it hard to come up with something about using initiative. Any points in the right direction??
Oh the irony

Have you ever worked in a team with people for a group project at school? Did you suggest a way of doing things that would make it easier? Or at work? It doesn't have to be an amazing example.
Slender Loris
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's better than making a new one... I'd like to do this next year in a primary school, but would I be able to as my degree subject isn't a curriculum subject? I'm doing Archaeology, which is relevant to primary history but would it actually count? I have to put a second choice as well, which has to be a secondary subject, but unless a local school happens to do GCSE Archaeology, would I be able to do any of them?

edit: nevermind, I contacted the people and they said it's fine, and for secondary I just need an A-Level in the subject. Which is a whole nother issue...
Perfection
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What A levels did you do?

You can be placed in one of those subjects - especially if its a core subject.
brak3n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found yesterday I got on the Student Associate Scheme, so will be going into a primary school in the summer! I'm ecstatic! :party: I'd be excited enough about normal work experience, but paid work experience is just perfect. I like this scheme
Slender Loris
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How do you do it in the summer? Is it just for a short time at the beginning/end ie July and September?
brak3n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's for 3 weeks after I've finished my uni exams but school's won't have broken up, so late June/early July.
kim_S
Report 10 years ago
Congragulations... At Keele there is 100 places and this year there was over 200 applications.

I'm currently doing the SAS scheme at Keele but with Secondary level working in Geography, ICT and RS. However I have already have a Level 2 teaching assistants qualification.

I am finding it really intersting, I have had the opportunity to teach lessons, undertake events like careers evening and may get to go on a fieldtrip. however am not looking forward to having to write the log as I have been too busy to keep it up to date after having to write two dissertations.

You will really enjoy it, I've nearly done all my hours but want to carry on until I finish uni. Good luck working with primary level, a lot more variations.

If you enjoy it, I would definately recommed doing camp america, I was working with adults with disabilities in Virginia, but I know others who have done other camps and really enjoyed it.
yoohoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
heya just wondering how long after you applied for the scheme did you hear back for an interview? i applied on the 11th and am yet to hear anything xx
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think its gonna depends on your individual uni coz u apply through them, not a central body.
hittesh_ahuja
Report 8 years ago
Hi,

I have my interview tommorow at Oxford Brookes University for the SAS. I am interested in teaching and i have a good customer support experience and I have given a small amount of training to my fellow colleagues in the past. Im just wondering if thats all they are gonna ask me for the interview coz I really dont wanna miss out on this oppurtunity.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Hittesh
alina_5015
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am currently doing the SAS scheme and I am really afraid of writing the portfolio. Can anybody help me with that please? Or maybe tell me where can I find an example... I would really much appreaciate it,thank you.
JoRowlingRocks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't have an interview when I did it, odd! I did mine in the summer too, three weeks in June/July in Dawlish, loved it!!
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alina_5015)
I am currently doing the SAS scheme and I am really afraid of writing the portfolio. Can anybody help me with that please? Or maybe tell me where can I find an example... I would really much appreaciate it,thank you.
The portfolio is a formality. Do not waste more effort or time than is necessary on it, and do not worry about! Your university should have told you how to fill it in, but if they have not then the formula is simple. Reword the QTS standard (the core goal or question should be include a QTS number) and link it to some experience you had on your placement. It is the most boring and formulaic waste of time imaginable, but it is necessary in order to get paid.

One of the things I had to submit looked like:

Core goal (e.g. engaging with young people's learning) - related QTS standards (e.g. Q4 and Q27)

Then there was a small description about the core goal, and I then had to write something about the core goal and how I essentially completed it in: training, observation, experience, and 'task completion'. Basically, did I learn anything in the training days about how to engage with young people, did I observe anything on placement about..., did I experience anything on placement about..., and then a sort of mini-reflection about engaging with young people's learning.

So long as you have not sat in a corner for three weeks, speaking to no one on your placement then you will have more than enough to talk about. I actually found finding information out about the school and all the diversity nonsense which they were clearly not going to tell us themselves the hardest part.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.42%
No (479)
72.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed