Turn on thread page Beta

Switzerland watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Switzerland for the summer, doing some voluntary work. But want to try and see/do a fair bit whilst I am there as well. (I'm staying in the Bernese Oberland.) Are there any *must see* or *must do* things people can recommend to give me a starting point?!

its a lovely place expensive though. visit geneva, Lucerne, zurich
    you must eat fondue, try to play an accordian, :p:

i didnt go to your area though sorry

ReputationRep:
    If you're near Grindelwald at anypoint, go on the train up Jungfrau - amazing views, and you have to stop at Kleine Scheidegg on the way which has goats wandering all over the tracks Well, it did when I went, and I found it highly entertaining. Though I am easily amused!
    Also, there's the Piz Gloria rotating restaurant on top of the Schilthorn, where they filmed part of a James Bond film, bit of a tourist trap, but hey, it's a revolving restaurant on top of a mountain! There can't be too many of them in the world!

C-

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both of you, gives my some ideas to start with

ReputationRep:
    No problem

I just remembered something else! Since you said you're there for the summer, you'll probably be there for Swiss National Day on 1st August - lots of parades and fireworks and general festivities Might be fun to see that in one of the cities - I was in Interlaken for it when I went, in a hotel right opposite a huge park where they had lots of fireworks in the evening, and a big parade down the main street (infront of the hotel) during the day. Twas fun!

C-

ReputationRep:
    ^^ohh, will def look out and see what is going on round then! thanks

next silly question...i'm taking some cash out with me, but was going to take my debit card as well and am planning on just getting what money i need from cash machines as and when i need it. presumably there are plenty of cash machines around in switzerland?

ReputationRep:
    Bern as a city is quite nice, and I would echo the recommendation for the Jungfraujoch. Well worth doing on a decent day.

ReputationRep:
    I spent some time in Zermatt this winter, skiing, and was in Verbier during last summer. You mustn't miss out on them! They both have an abundance of things you can get up to.

Granted they're a tad expensive but worth every penny!

ReputationRep:
    Its absolutely gorgeous! *Jealous*

ReputationRep:
    I went to Switzerland years ago with my boyfriend. We stayed ( actually camped) in Interlaken......just beautiful. I was going to mention going up to the revolving restaurant.......when we went it was far too cloudy up there so we just stayed at Kleine Schidegg instead.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.