Turn on thread page Beta

Can A grades be achieved without intelligence? watch

• View Poll Results: A grades
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    stupied thread if u work hard enough u can achieve no matter what the subject is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramos_Spurs)
    stupied thread if u work hard enough u can achieve no matter what the subject is
    Naw that's not true. I've always done well at school, but I cannot learn languages. German I was a little better than french, but.. still no go. I did a lot of extra work on them both and still wasn't really good enough to take either to GCSE level - took french (compulsory), I'd have been taking foundation papers. Of course.. I've dropped it now due to "family circumstances", but I don't think it matters much to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harriellie)
    They're worth more?
    Hm not really. Good a levels will get you a long way, but an average of D's at GCSE will just hold you back - be like an achelies (sp?) heel as it were!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dans)
    Hm not really. Good a levels will get you a long way, but an average of D's at GCSE will just hold you back - be like an achelies (sp?) heel as it were!
    Well maybe your Ds gave you a kick up the arse then?!
    Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Impossible is nothing, I think you can do it no matter what you got a GCSE.
    I got C grades, Im determined to get 3 A grades at A level, and a 1st at Uni to make up for my messing around.
    Work hard and im positive you will get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harriellie)
    Well maybe your Ds gave you a kick up the arse then?!
    Who knows.
    My D's!? I didn't get any D's at GCSE, or A level for that matter! I got 2A*s, 6As and 4Bs thank you!

ReputationRep:
    IMO people who do well at GCSEs, like above average, are bound to get decent A level results, maybe all A's if they try hard. But people who do not do so well and have put effort in during their GCSEs, will not get that well of A level results.

ReputationRep:
    If you got Ds because of not doing anything/skipping class/etc. you certainly could (got some catching up to do though), if you worked your ass off for that D, I'd say you have learing disabilities and you would have to pick the subjects very carefully, have no social life and even then I'm not certain.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. I don't mean to say that all unintelligent people could get As at A-level; just that there's a definite technique to doing well in all of the subjects I've studied at AS-level or above (Art, English Lit., Biology, Chemistry, Film and Maths) - and if they get the technique right, some less intelligent people could definitely still manage to get As.

ReputationRep:
    Well, some people can get Ds at GCSE level not because they're unintelligent, but because they just didn't work at all. However, in direct response to the thread, I do think it greatly depends on the subject. Some people have natural intelligence for certain subjects over others etc., so it depends a lot on subject choices.

Having said that, I think with hard work in sufficient time before the exams (and I do mean lots of hard work rather than bits), it is possible for someone who may not feel so intelligent, or who may not be as intelligent as others, to get As. They just need to have the willpower to sit down and do the work.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Yeah, I also agree that GCSE grades can't be used to determine a person's intelligence. My other half is one of the cleverest people I know, and if he had applied himself at GCSE his grades would have wiped the floor with mine. As it is, he didn't bother and as a result he has mostly A- to C-grades, and also a D and an E. His grades in no way reflect how clever he is, and I suspect that that's the case with a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you would still require some sort of intelligence to get the A (hence why I voted No) - just not a lot.

ReputationRep:
    In the case of Critical Thinking, without a doubt. Some of the least hard-working people (without that much intelligence) got high As for it in my class last year.

Stuff like Maths and the Sciences... no. You need to work hard or be smart. Preferably both.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I know a girl who spends literally all her free time studying science because she is awful at it tbh, but desperately wants to be a doctor.

As much as i admire her for this i don't think somebody who isn’t a natural scientist should be a doctor. I mean you'd have to think on your feet, you wouldn’t just be able to spend hours reading a textbook and studying a mark scheme. It’s peoples lives at risk.

ReputationRep:
    Sure they can............ (in media studies et al)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.
    I'm a law student and quite a large proportion of my coursemates are some of the most vacuous people I've ever met, despite the fact they all have at least AAA at A-level.

A lot of people are good at vomitting passages from textbooks out word-for-word, but have little genuine intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've seen it happen.

ReputationRep:
    I think yes, but for a different reason than most people have given. I think that, if you actually apply yourself, and stretch the limits of your intelligence, that it will increase, in the same way that if you push your body to it's limit regularly, it will adapt, and begin to improve. Human beings are astoundingly adaptable creatures, the knack lies in working out how to push yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dans)
    My D's!? I didn't get any D's at GCSE, or A level for that matter! I got 2A*s, 6As and 4Bs thank you!
    I didn't mean you, I meant you (as in the person that we were hypothetically discussing). As in, maybe your Ds would have given you a kick up the arse, if you had got them.

ReputationRep:
    I think A-Levels are about memory and exam technique, not intelligence.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.