Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    If you understand the statement in magenta (which is correct, by the way), why do you need to ask the question in red?

For Cambridge you have to declare all your module UMS scores, even failures and re-sits. And, yes, B grades should essentially be regarded as standing for blot: they may not harm your application, but they will not impress the admissions tutors.
    I ask because I didn't accept the Maths grade at all, and as far as I'm aware, this means I technically never sat the exam and I won't be receiving a certificate for it. I wondered if even that needed to be noted down somewhere, as I know it didn't for UCAS.
    Do you think it would be better or worse if I retook the remaining two B modules?

(Original post by Purple)
    You would always be able to study japanese as an extra course at uni if they offer language classes.

Also, if you're going to be reapplying for spanish, then wouldn't a year in spain be a better option and then it would be cheaper to get back for interviews.
    It certainly would be more practical, however the gap year's all bought and paid for already. As far as I'm aware you don't really have to go to the country speaking the language you want to study, as long as you get the essential fish-out-of-water experience. I might be totally wrong there though.

Lothar: That is some very useful information; I did check last night to see if East Asian Studies could be combined with Spanish, but it was hard to find such information on Cambridge's website as there were a lot of conflicting statements... UCAS shows them as offering a course named something like "Oriental Studies (Spanish)", however the links to Cambridge's website from the course description on UCAS are all broken. I may have to phone Cambridge to ask for more information.

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe cambridge is likely to be beyond your reach, but have you considered applying for other very good universities?

Eg the London unis... or Bristol/Warwick/Durham/St Andrews etc.

I think you should wait until results day to withdraw, because if you end up with lower grades you might want to stick with Cardiff.

There are loads of benifits of going to a super uni, so if you end up with AAA I would certainly urge you to reapply next year. You can give Cambridge a shot if you like... but perhaps speak to your teachers first.

Good luck

P.S, I doubt many other unis besides Oxbridge/UCL interview for languages, so if this is an issue you should look at which interview on their websites.
    Some may not mind you missing the interview if you have a good reason, but probs not the best unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gtpod)
    I ask because I didn't accept the Maths grade at all, and as far as I'm aware, this means I technically never sat the exam and I won't be receiving a certificate for it. I wondered if even that needed to be noted down somewhere, as I know it didn't for UCAS.
    Do you think it would be better or worse if I retook the remaining two B modules?
    Well, now you know the answer. It does. As for re-taking, only the admissions tutor can really answer that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, now you know the answer. It does. As for re-taking, only the admissions tutor can really answer that.
    This is a bit of an aside, but does this mean there is no way of me being able to get rid of that Maths grade? Can I phone the exam board and tell them to get rid of it somehow?

ReputationRep:
    Why is this place so full of people looking for loopholes?

ReputationRep:
    Why is this place so full of people looking for loopholes?
    I'm not seeking a loophole, that was genuine worry for having a D follow me around for the rest of my life. I suppose other than applying to Cambridge I can just not mention it.
    Knowing I'll have to tell them is pretty worrying too though.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should consider Oxford if you want a uni that will give you an AAA offer (which it will). It doesn't ask for your module marks or if you have done any resits (I got a couple of C's in some subjects which I retook, and I still got in), and I'm pretty sure you can do any combination of languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gtpod)
    Hey guys,

Now another pretty big issue I have is that next year I will be in Japan, and so I'm wondering if I were to apply for Spanish, and I got into a position where I would be offered one, would I need to have an interview? It would cost some £800 for a return flight back to England, and if I go all that way and stuff it up, it'd be a colossal waste of money. So generally speaking, would I really need to be in England for a period of time to attend open days/interviews, considering I'd be 12000 miles away?

Hey OP,

I applied to Oxford last year while traveling around Australia.
    They offered me a phone interview, so I'd say its possible to apply from Japan. I'm not sure how Cambridge handles it though.
    Now, obviously I didn't get in. I do think that if they had to decide between two similar applicants they would be more likely to give the offer to the person they spoke to in person. Plus you miss out on open days etc.
    and its also a hassle with taking the test (not sure if there is one for spanish?) and things like that.

Anyway, its a possibility so there you go, thats all I had to say

ReputationRep:
    Gtpod, I'd say that:

First, don't just accept Cardiff unless you're really sure you do want to go there. It's a 3-year, lot-of-money committment so if you're unsure (as you do seem to be) then taking a year to consider your decision and reapply is sensible - especially if you already have stuff (going to Japan) to be doing in that year anyway.

Secondly: Your grades are low for a Cambridge applicant. No getting around that. But, Cambridge offer a lot of interviews. If you can really seriously show your passion for and committment to Spanish in your PS and interview (as well as the ability to think for yourself etc etc) then you would stand a perfectly reasonable chance. However, since you're basing your subject choices on league tables, and don't seem especially committed to Spanish over Japanese, or whatever - would you really be able to come across that convincingly? Only you know that, no-one on TSR can tell you

Finally, Cambridge do offer telephone interviews and even on-location interviews for some countries, so you wouldn't necessarily have to fly back to the UK. You'd need to check out what the situation is for Japan exactly though; if the website can't tell you, then just contact their admissions department.

edit: as you declaring your UMS module marks - currently, for a Cambridge application, you do have to. BUT they've decided to scrap the CAF and I think possibly/probably the marks-declaration bit too. I'm not sure on this, but the uni website should say somewhere... EDIT: I'm wrong, they'll still be sending out something called an SAQ which will ask for UMS scores. It's all explained here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...info/news.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little.miss.vicki)
    Maybe you should consider Oxford if you want a uni that will give you an AAA offer (which it will). It doesn't ask for your module marks or if you have done any resits (I got a couple of C's in some subjects which I retook, and I still got in), and I'm pretty sure you can do any combination of languages.
    (Original post by Schajin)
    I applied to Oxford last year while traveling around Australia.
    They offered me a phone interview, so I'd say its possible to apply from Japan. I'm not sure how Cambridge handles it though.
    Now, obviously I didn't get in. I do think that if they had to decide between two similar applicants they would be more likely to give the offer to the person they spoke to in person. Plus you miss out on open days etc.
    and its also a hassle with taking the test (not sure if there is one for spanish?) and things like that.
    Now that's very interesting to hear, it really sounds like Oxford fits my current situation a lot better than Cambridge; I shall certainly have to look into this more...

EDIT:
    Tom: Thanks greatly for the input. I can assure you I'm more than devoted to Spanish however this topic may show otherwise; I have found it very hard to express exactly what I mean here so my main thoughts have been jumbled a little; all I want is the best possible education I can get in my favourite subject.
    Hearing that Cambridge may offer phone interviews is reassuring for my bank balance, however do you think then that there will still be problems with me not being able to attend the open days? I'm not 100% certain, but if I were to be invited to a post-offer open day the purchase of a return ticket may well be justifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gtpod)
    Now that's very interesting to hear, it really sounds like Oxford fits my current situation a lot better than Cambridge; I shall certainly have to look into this more...
    If you're applying to Oxbridge, they want to know that you are applying for the course and not the university. I was under the assumption that you were applying to Cambridge because the course suited you better / was more what you wanted than Oxford. If you're switching like this, they WILL pick it up in interview and you will have a tough time.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in one of my AS levels (re-took it, but that was after my Cambridge interview), and a D in one of my GCSE's. I still got into Cambridge - if you think you can manage it, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    If you're applying to Oxbridge, they want to know that you are applying for the course and not the university. I was under the assumption that you were applying to Cambridge because the course suited you better / was more what you wanted than Oxford. If you're switching like this, they WILL pick it up in interview and you will have a tough time.
    Honestly this is all just preliminary information, I've not looked at either specifically for course details yet. I'm not so much treating them as Oxbridge in my mind as just the two top universities for modern languages, and so before I do anything else, I need to find out which one best suits this ridiculous situation I've left myself in. Only my dedication to my subject could evoke this desperation.

(Original post by Meep!)
    I got a C in one of my AS levels (re-took it, but that was after my Cambridge interview), and a D in one of my GCSE's. I still got into Cambridge - if you think you can manage it, then go for it!
    That is very reassuring to hear, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    But what's the problem with Cardiff? You must have liked it a lot if you made it your top choice in the first place?
    I know TSR is full of oxbridge obsessors who will automatically say you'll regret it if you don't apply there, but if you're just basing your decision on league tables you really need to visit each university's modern languages department and decide for yourself which is "the best."
    Cardiff is still a top university and no doubt you'd have amazing time there if you decided to go.xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataloulou)
    But what's the problem with Cardiff? You must have liked it a lot if you made it your top choice in the first place?
    I know TSR is full of oxbridge obsessors who will automatically say you'll regret it if you don't apply there, but if you're just basing your decision on league tables you really need to visit each university's modern languages department and decide for yourself which is "the best."
    Cardiff is still a top university and no doubt you'd have amazing time there if you decided to go.xx
    I really have no problem with Cardiff, it's a great place; I'd simply prefer to go to Oxbridge, or UCL/Durham. I always wanted to apply to these unis but a) they don't offer the course I wanted to do and b) I never thought I'd have a chance. If I go through with this reapplication I'll definitely be reapplying to Cardiff for insurance.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.