His Grandparents hate me as I'm jewish Watch

M.A.H
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BerlinBasil)
On the bright side, they're old, they'll probably die soon.
harsh but true
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
sounds incredibly immature to me
Well, it needs to be seen in the proper context. I doubt it is anything personal; they are just reflecting the social situation of their formative years. Fortunately things are different now, but beliefs from most of your life are not so easily changed. My advice to the OP would be to keep her chin up and try to not let it affect her; unless there is some special arrangement I wouldn't think you would see his grandparents much, so enjoy your time with your boyfriend and think of it as nothing more than an unfortunate and minor anachronism.
Tory Dan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are they German by any chance?
afua12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
true.
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
God, why does everyone hate the Jews?

I'm becoming something of a Jewish rights campaigner.
afua12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)

lol tad pessimistic...
and not true, so smile
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Racism is a strange thing...
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry - old peole, in general, don't seem to accept differences.

As long as it doesn't affect your relationship with your BF, don't worry about it.

On a side note, why has "Jew" now become an insult?
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Speedbird2008)
On a side note, why has "Jew" now become an insult?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=11415127
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They'll be dead soon. Totally out of your way. Until then, don't accept any dinner invitations. lol
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
My bf is Jewish, my family is not. I've noticed my mum's surprise and my grandmother's disdain, but I love him and that's what matters, I'm the one going out with him, not them so who gives a damn if they have a problem with him not being Catholic.

Don't let it get you down, some people are old fashioned and old prejudices die hard, but it's your bf you're with not them so try not to let it bother you.
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
It reminds me of a scene out of Wedding Crashers - what a film! :cool:

Maybe your boyfriend didn't really think much of it at the time since he put it down to the grandparents eating or involving themselves in other topics of discussion, however afterwards knew it had affected you. In my opinion, people like these are going mental so you should take no heed of what they are saying. That, and they were probably brought up as devout Catholics or Jehova's Witnesses, or some other equally crazy religious following. :rolleyes:
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's so messed up. Talk to your boyfriend about the way he responded to it. Tell him how you felt. The best he can do is reassure you. But you have to understand that he couldn't have just said something to them because they are his elders. At the end of the day, be glad that your boyfriend loves you for you and isn't racist because thats all that matters. They are old and they will have traditional ideas that are conservative. Accept it. You can't change them. But don't change yourself either.
Spring_Ryder
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
That's so messed up. Talk to your boyfriend about the way he responded to it. Tell him how you felt. The best he can do is reassure you. But you have to understand that he couldn't have just said something to them because they are his elders. At the end of the day, be glad that your boyfriend loves you for you and isn't racist because thats all that matters. They are old and they will have traditional ideas that are conservative. Accept it. You can't change them. But don't change yourself either.
that was a really nice post thankyou!!!
thinking causes strain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I see what you mean about your boyfriend, if they're prejudiced against you he definately should have said something to them, i mean that's their grandson and they will want to make him happy and i presume that's to make you happy.

*sigh* i don't understand the logic behind racism. fish are more advanced than us in this topic
amy.dd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At the end of the day it's your boyfriend you choose to be with, not his grandparents so you really shouldn't care what you think. If his grandfather disapproves thats his beliefs, in the same way you have your beliefs (not that I think what his grandfather believes is right).

Your boyfriend could get a lot of negative attitude from his grandparents if he spoke out and his grandparents weren't actually abusive towards you, even though there opinions were obviously shown. I personally wouldn't expect my boyfriend to stick up for me.

Religion and beliefs can mean you get people disapproving but you can't get upset over peoples negative attitudes (including people as old as his grandparents... my boyfriends grandfather always makes racist comments when black people are on tv :rolleyes:).

No offence but I think you just need to just forget it.

edit: And at least your boyfriend tried to cheer you up and recognised the comments than ignoring the fact it had happened which would of definitely been wrong.
Ang|ophi|e
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spring_Ryder)
that was a really nice post thankyou!!!
You're welcome.
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you see them again, say "Ata Qof semech"
Marlowe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)

I suggest you learn about Orthodox Judaism.

Better yet, try and somehow find a gentile and an Orthodox Jew in a romantic relationship, and have a chat with them.

Almost all sects are intolerant (or at least suspicious) of other sects. It's just the way humans have evolved. Tribalism and all.
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Marlowe)
I suggest you learn about Orthodox Judaism.

Better yet, try and somehow find a gentile and an Orthodox Jew in a romantic relationship, and have a chat with them.

Almost all sects are intolerant (or at least suspicious) of other sects. It's just the way humans have evolved. Tribalism and all.
The reason that religions typically frown on intermariage is because it reduces their numbers and is there for not in their favour. You're right an orthadox Jew wont marry you, but that doesn't mean he wont want you at the dinner table. I dont think that it is right to say that because religions are against intermarriage, it makes them hate outsiders.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%
No I don't (554)
48.51%

Watched Threads