Youtube channels for iGCSE french in the same vein as Mr Bruff and FreeScienceLessons Watch

Caffiene77
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Are there any youtube channels which are similar to Mr Bruff and Freesciencelessons.co.uk for Edexcel French iGCSE? Currently haven't done as well as I feel I should have done in my year 10 exam and my teacher has not done very much to support me throughout the academic year. I was absent much of the first two terms due to being in poor health and while my other teachers gave me extra support, I feel I have not been given any help with the subject. Mr Bruff and Freesciencelessons.co.uk have been very useful resources in English and Science, and I am wondering if there are any similar channels to help me.

Thanks in advanced.
marqueemoon53
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
booooommmtooowwnnn
MontyZuma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Caffiene77)
Are there any youtube channels which are similar to Mr Bruff and Freesciencelessons.co.uk for Edexcel French iGCSE? Currently haven't done as well as I feel I should have done in my year 10 exam and my teacher has not done very much to support me throughout the academic year. I was absent much of the first two terms due to being in poor health and while my other teachers gave me extra support, I feel I have not been given any help with the subject. Mr Bruff and Freesciencelessons.co.uk have been very useful resources in English and Science, and I am wondering if there are any similar channels to help me.

Thanks in advanced.
Where exactly do you feel you need help? Many people struggle with languages and this is mainly because the way you need to revise for them is completely different when compared with other subjects. For English and Science you can very easily cram with some YouTube videos online the night before and come out okay. This is not the case with languages. You need to devote time to them.

If it's grammar, then there are a huge number of YouTube resources for revision of all verbs / adjectives / pronouns etc. in French. They might not be directly related to the Edexcel IGCSE but you need to make sure you're confident with the pieces of grammar in the specification (which you can find on the Edexcel website). Verbs are by far the most important things to get you're head around. You need to be able to make sure you can use verbs in the present / passé composé / imperfect / near future / simple future / conditional tenses so you satisfy the requirements in your speaking exam and the writing part of the exam. Of course, you need to make sure you can recognise them in the listening exam and the reading part of the exam. Just have a search for videos on YouTube and you will find some. I did the old Edexcel IGCSE in French which didn't have a specific grammar section but I have heard that the new one does have a specific grammar section so you will need to make sure you are completely ready for this.

If you're struggling with vocab, then you simply need to learn it. I have found that the best way to do this is to use Quizlet (www.quizlet.com) - you can find the vocab list in the specification on the Edexcel website. Copy and paste this into Quizlet and start learning from French to English. This way you will recognise much more in listening and reading exams which will allow you to answer the question and get the marks. Past papers and papers from other exam boards are also very helpful for this but you need to make sure that, once you've finished and marked the paper, you make a full vocab list and then upload this to Quizlet so you can learn it. Download the app and practise on your phone instead of using social media etc. or when you're in the car / on a bus. Little and often is most effective. Have a look at this person's Quizlet account with all of the topic based vocab on it: https://quizlet.com/syruso/folders/v2-french/sets

If you're struggling with the exam skills themselves, then you simply need to practise them.

Reading and listening - do past papers and learn vocab.

Writing and speaking - I wouldn't really recommend learning any vocab English to French for this. Instead, just practise, practise, practise. Use the list of topics from the spec and challenge yourself to just write 50 words about any topic (I would be more than happy to take a look at these if you would like me to! Although the whole point is so you can become dependent on your own French in your head, as you are by yourself in the exam). Make sure you are always using a range of structures etc. to get you the highest marks. I like the CROISSANT acronym:

Connectives
Reasons
Opinions
Infinitives + Intensifiers
Subjunctives
Star Phrases
Negatives
Tenses and Time Frames

Try to get everything in each time you write. Here is another resource which talks about impressive constructions: https://quizlet.com/169631923/v2-fre...s-flash-cards/

For speaking, the best thing to do as well is to practise by talking to yourself or in your own head. I know it sounds weird but it works. The fact is that the reason why people struggle with speaking (and writing) is that when using a language, there are so many things to remember all at the same time grammar and vocab wise that many find it really difficult. The ONLY way to get around this is to practise using it! If you do this, all of the grammar rules and vocab become internalised in your brain so you can make up sentences much more quickly. Don't worry too much about making mistakes with grammar. You will correct them over time. If you don't know a word, just use an English one and then look it up later. This way you will be really well prepared for your eventual speaking (and writing) exams.

I hope this helps.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (235)
91.44%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (22)
8.56%

Watched Threads