The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is the point in having a royal family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esskeetit
i dont mean in very recent years sorry couldve made that clearer but for sure i think in this country there is less interest in the monarchy

The royal family have to put quite a lot of energy into maintaining their profile in public, hence all the charitable work and initiatives, a strategy that has worked quite well for them. If they weren't keeping all this activity up I am sure public opinion would become sceptical.
Reply 21
Original post by Notoriety
Aye. Even if people were no longer getting wet over the various wedding and births, I don't think their lack of interest would ebb into positive rejection of the Royals.

Unfortunately accurate.
Original post by gjd800
Unfortunately accurate.

Chin up, son.
Reply 23
Chin up, son.

I perversely enjoy my misery. Allow me to have this moment.
Reply 24
tourism innit
...Modified in the direction of modesty. Alright, Keats.

cromwell wat.jpg
Reply 26
Original post by Axiomasher
The continued existence of the royal family as it stands is a rather garish and excessive symbol of privilege. I'm not suggesting that the immediate royal family be done away with but the wider family should certainly not be relying on state support. I suppose I'm saying it should all be scaled back quite a bit, the royal family is, ultimately, an anachronism that needs to be modified in the direction of modesty.

this sums up my thoughts in words i could not think to use hence (correct use of the word?) i am doing maths physics and chemistry a level lol
Original post by Esskeetit
i know this point is possibly irrelevant but i think id rather do this than pay for security at a wedding that is literally the same as anyone elses just because these people are this persons child

I can't agree. The wedding is going to cost what? £30m? For an event that some people will like and some people won't, but there will be some measure of economic gain. If you run a business in Windsor, or sell
Royal teatowels, it's going to be quids in.

I cannot see in what universe that is worse than spending £250m on an airport in the middle of an ocean that is of no use to anyone.

Or £450m so that Pakistanis - many of whom have no concept of Britain can benefit in some way. Some people in the countries we send aid to hate us. Some of them want to destroy us, and they mock us for giving them money and take it gladly. In what way is this a better outcome than spending it on a Royal wedding?
i ****ing hate the royal family the selfish pricks
Would u consider me as a reptilian? :3
Original post by jamesgillian123
i ****ing hate the royal family the selfish pricks

Now, now Prince Edward, you're still fam.
For no-lifes to have something to obsess over and fill their empty lives with
Everyone saying royals don't pay tax and stuff just do some research. I used to think the same thing until I actually did research into the pros and cons of a royal family
cromwell wat.jpg

Sesquipedalianism and verbosity do not make you smart or right.
Sesquipedalianism and verbosity do not make you smart or right.

Oh. I wasn't even trying. I would be flattered but I suspect you've simply been setting your own bar a little low. Don't I at least get a little credit for my Cromwell meme?
Oh. I wasn't even trying. I would be flattered but I suspect you've simply been setting your own bar a little low. Don't I at least get a little credit for my Cromwell meme?

Just struck me as a little bit OTT, but don't begrudge you it. I love a bit of Keats but has a place and time.

Haha, I never even spotted it was Old Ironsides cos too zoomed in (gotta love how TSR censored Tumbledown ****, the bunch of pricks). Appreciate the thought though.
Moved to Society.
It annoys me SO much when people go on the whole "the royal family are living off the wages of our taxpayers" rant.

If you have ever seen how much any single member of that family do in one day, you might see how hard they work. Would you want to go to several engagements a day and constantly have to meet people and make public speeches and always have to look perfect and have people looking at you all the time? Would you want to have to go everywhere with security and be unable to just go out for a walk if you fancy it?

In many ways, the royals live a life of privilege. But that in itself comes at a heck of a cost, and that cost is their freedom.
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I personally am for the royal family, and I think they're a positive asset to this country.
1. They do contribute a lot to the economy. The royal family attracts tourism, which brings in around £700 million per year, which I have also added revenue from the crown estate too. We only pay £150 million per year for the royal family.
2. The royal family is paying for near enough the entire costs of the wedding, the only expense of the taxpayer being security. This is true for all the weddings.
3. The royal family act as political ambassadors to the UK. They are unique to our country, and they help form international relations, through things like the Commonwealth.
4. They are part of our heritage as a country.
5. The royal family work hard. Even though it may seem like nothing, they carry out thousands of royal engagements each year, and for someone like the queen who has done that for over 60 years, it's not en easy job. They do lots of charitable work, which heads of states in other countries do not do.

Do you have a source for the £700m figure? Not saying you’re wrong, just interested in the source of that information.
Original post by DannyZyphos
Everyone saying royals don't pay tax and stuff just do some research. I used to think the same thing until I actually did research into the pros and cons of a royal family

But they live off the state no? So they have a negative tax.

Latest

Trending

Trending