The Student Room Group

well... how were they? the official 2018 gcse sentiment thread!

hello, thought i'd make this thread to let y'all talk about gcses in general- last year it turned out to be popular so we'll see how it goes this year:yep:

last year's thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4706862
so just post in here the day on any exams you've had with the subject, exam board and smiley face corresponding to how you felt about this exam. and of course any interesting stories, rants or additional comments:wink:

smiley key
:biggrin: found the exam really good!
:smile: exam was pretty good
:s-smilie: uhh.. i'm not sure how i found that exam
:frown: yeah, no.
:angry: pretty sure i failed

i'll see if i can do some data collection of your thoughts/smileys every week or every two weeks but no promises as i'm currently doing my gcses as well!

example:
exam subject:
exam board:
thoughts: [you can put your smiley here]

so for most of us today, it was re paper 2:redface:

Scroll to see replies

Exam subject: RE Paper 2
Exam board: AQA
Thoughts: :biggrin:
Original post by OliviaColey
Exam subject: RE Paper 2

Apparently you had to leave 2 lines. I left 1 uhohhh
Original post by AidenAdam-11
Apparently you had to leave 2 lines. I left 1 uhohhh

Oh no.....
Subject:
Religious Studies Paper 2 Islam

Exam Board:
Edexcel Specification B

One of the questions that said: "Outline 3 ways Muslims prepare for Salaat" and it threw me off big time, I left it till last and spent almost 10 minutes on it. I just didn't know what to out even though i'm a Muslim myself aha. I wrote at least 9+ things ranging from "they wash their hands, feet and nose" to "wash ritual (wudu/ablution), face the Qiblah, get a salat carpet out" etc etc.

I better be correct :angry::angry:

Oh I was sort of put off before the exam. I was revising ways in which Islam shows peace (luckily it was a a question on the paper) and my friend started taking the piss out of me, then ridicule me on how **** I would (to be fair, he is much cleverer than me, but only due to natural ability...I hope!) but yeah, sad times. But it's good, cuz I gave him a passive-aggressive thump on the shoulder, told him shut up man then fake laughed. It was really awkward and silent but that was the point because I knew he would have it on his mind throughout the exam.

Hey, if your going to intentionally **** with me before an exam you best know i'm not taking your bull crap :u: Well, I have rambled too much, probably said more than I need to but its cool Goodbye!
exam subject: chemistry
exam board: ocr
thoughts: :smile: six marker they gave us almost made me cry in relief:redface:
How did everyone find todays? :biggrin:
Exam subject: English literature
Exam board: Edexcel
Thoughts: :smile:
We got a question on Macbeth on the theme of guilt, and I hadn't revised that theme so had to wing it a bit, but I know a lot of other people had revised this theme and were really happy it came up so I feel like I'll have done a bit worse on that compared to others, but other than that it was pretty good!
exam subject: english lit
exam board: aqa
thoughts: :biggrin:
loved the extract given for macbeth! jekyll and hyde was a little harder but thankfully the question wasn't too specific so there was lots of things to talk about:thumbsup:

exam subject: geography
exam board: wjec spec a
thoughts: :smile:
some questions threw me off, probably not my best paper but hoping for a 7.
(edited 5 years ago)
exam subject: English lit
Exam board: aqa
thoughts:

Exam subject: geography
exam board: edexcel b
thoughts:
Exam subject: English Lit (modern prose and poetry)
Exam board: Edexcel IGCSE
Thoughts: :smile:/:s-smilie:

Annoyed because halfway through my TKAM essay about Scout, I realised I would have been way better off doing the question on the symbolism of the mockingbird as I knew way more interesting stuff for Boo and Tom Robinson. The rest of it was okay though and the question on Half Caste came up in our mocks which I got 27/30 on so I hope I get that in the real thing!
Subject: English Lit P1- Shakespeare and the 19th Century Novel
Exam Board: AQA

Questions I predicted came up. Finished, time planned well. Think I'm on track for my target.

Subject: Geography P1- The Living World
Exam Board: AQA
Thoughts: :smile:

Was an easy enough exam content-wise but LONG AS ****KK! The answer booklet was hench- so many 4,6+9 mark questions. Overall, went well though, finished with 5 mins to spare. Earthquakes at a constructive boundary tripped me up a little but I guessed it was to do with magma rising rapidly from the mantle and it was right (to some extent).
exam subject: english literature (shakespeare & poetry anthology)
exam board: eduqas
loved all of the questions they asked! the poem was on war as well - which was reassuring as i could memorise the first stanza of 'the soldier'. the theme they picked was violence for macbeth which overlaps with a lot of the themes that i'd revised too!

exam subject: geography (the living world)
the questions were really good for me but i was initially really confused about the first 1 mark question until i looked at the units. i hope i'll be able to get my target grade!

one thing to note is that i'd like to kill the person who schedulled the exams with a fire axe. my hand is in agony and due to clammy hands (yeah gross sorry) my pen jumped out of my hands a few times near the end of each exam. my hand is literally going to drop off the first week back after term. 2 exams a day, every day (bar one). yikes!
exam subject: French writing
exam board: AQA
thoughts:
Reply 14
English Lit. (Macbeth and An Inspector Calls)
Edexcel
:biggrin:

Geography Paper 1
Edexcel
:smile:
Exam Subject: English Lit Paper 1
Exam Board: Edexcel
Exam subject: Physics paper 1
Thoughts: :frown:
I was confused from the very first question so that threw me off and the whole thing was pretty tough in general. Definitely my hardest paper so far.

How did everyone else find their exams today?? :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Snowman of Doom
Exam subject: Physics paper 1
Thoughts: :frown:
I was confused from the very first question so that threw me off and the whole thing was pretty tough in general. Definitely my hardest paper so far.

How did everyone else find their exams today?? :biggrin:

had physics today also but did ocr:woo: thought my paper was pretty good!
exam subject: physics
exam board: ocr
thoughts: :smile: / :s-smilie:
last page was not a nice one- but overall much more decent than biology.
exam subject: physics triple paper 1
thoughts: :smile:
hmmmm. i felt quite confident when i left the exam hall. not sure what to think now. physics has always been my worst of the three sciences - just praying i get at least somewhat close to my target grade!

Quick Reply

Latest