The Student Room Group

Best revision tips to get a grade 8/9

Hello! I am aiming for all grade 8s and 9s, what revision tips do you have to help me achieve that, I am doing my GCSEs next year.
Original post by TopSurgeon21Cent
Hello! I am aiming for all grade 8s and 9s, what revision tips do you have to help me achieve that, I am doing my GCSEs next year.

Cant get to 8 and 9s without getting yourself to 7s first.

Get a really good set of notes now, so you have a revision set and you cna do much more practice on exams and wider reading. Use the summer.
thanks, I am not a big fan of notes, I just find revision guides to be better, but I will use flashcards and use spaced repetition to maximize efficiency
Original post by 999tigger
Cant get to 8 and 9s without getting yourself to 7s first.

Get a really good set of notes now, so you have a revision set and you cna do much more practice on exams and wider reading. Use the summer.
Don’t leave revision to the last minute, and use your homework wisely. If you do all your homework properly, it can be quite helpful as homework is set for a reason, teachers don’t like extra marking if they can avoid it! Good luck
QUOTE=-Bibliophile-;77684646]Don’t leave revision to the last minute, and use your homework wisely. If you do all your homework properly, it can be quite helpful as homework is set for a reason, teachers don’t like extra marking if they can avoid it! Good luck

school work is generally easy, thanks for your advice, I will PM you with my results if you want in a year
- Have revision guides to help you
- Make notes/posters/flash cards/mind naps/ whatever sort of written method you prefer to consolidate your knowledge
- Do your homework (no matter how silly it may seem, because in the long run they all build up to help you understand the bigger picture)
- Do any questions in the revision guide/ text books
- Use online material to help you understand topics you find difficult such as websites and videos
- Past Papers: if you do anything, it must be past papers. Old spec, new spec, specimen papers etc. are all incredibly useful in honing in on exam technique which you must master to get the top grades.
that was exactly what i had in mind, thank you, but Kirito much...
Original post by Mesopotamian.
- Make notes/posters/flash cards/mind naps/ whatever sort of written method you prefer to consolidate your knowledge
- Do your homework (no matter how silly it may seem, because in the long run they all build up to help you understand the bigger picture)
- Use online material to help you understand topics you find difficult such as websites and videos
- Past Papers: if you do anything, it must be past papers. Old spec, new spec, specimen papers etc. are all incredibly useful in honing in on exam technique which you must master to get the top grades.
Do you have any websites for past papers, especially in maths and science, I have end of year mocks, in under 4 weeks, i have been revising, also should I use my cgp guide or free science lessons for science,I like free science lessons more, as the videos are short and contain practice questions

Do you have any websites for past papers, especially in maths and science, I have end of year mocks, in under 4 weeks, i have been revising, also should I use my cgp guide or free science lessons for science,I like free science lessons more, as the videos are short and contain practice questions

Websites:
Physics and maths tutor - past papers and questions by topic
Exam solutions - this has video tutorials and worked solutions to past papers. A literal lifesaver if you ever get stuck on anything

For science I used BBC bitesize (although they've changed it and it doesn't seem so helpful now) and myGCSEscience which is quite good if you have it

As for what you should use, use both! But if you find that one is more helpful than the other, obviously use it more, but CGP has some good practice questions to consolidate understanding so might be worth giving it a shot
exactly what I thought,I am going to use free science lessons videos and cgp exam questions
Websites:
Physics and maths tutor - past papers and questions by topic
Exam solutions - this has video tutorials and worked solutions to past papers. A literal lifesaver if you ever get stuck on anything

For science I used BBC bitesize (although they've changed it and it doesn't seem so helpful now) and myGCSEscience which is quite good if you have it

As for what you should use, use both! But if you find that one is more helpful than the other, obviously use it more, but CGP has some good practice questions to consolidate understanding so might be worth giving it a shot

Yes make good notes and use them when revising. And when doing past papers do it effectively. I've been doing past papers since December and doing my GCSEs now, they seem to not have helped very much. Or maybe they have and I don't realise it. I would just make sure to make effect use of them.

Quick Reply

Latest