The Student Room Group

Chemistry oxidation equations

What is oxidation/reduction?
Here
FE+03---->
Oxygen gains electrons but FE looses
Would this be a redox?
Reduction or oxidation?
Please help me understand how i can classify a chemical reaction.
Reply 1
It is a redox reaction, because oxygen is being reduced (gaining electrons) and iron is being oxidised (losing electrons).
Just remember oxidation is loss of electrons / reduction is gain
And redox reactions are when oxidation and reduction both occur within the reaction.
(edited 5 years ago)
Oxidation is loss of electrons or loss of hydrogen.
could you give me an example of a redox reaction, oxidation reaction and reduction. Thanks
Original post by Diso
It is a redox reaction, because oxygen is being reduced (gaining electrons) and iron is being oxidised (losing electrons).
Just remember oxidation is loss of electrons / reduction is gain
And redox reactions are when oxidation and reduction both occur within the reaction.
Reply 4
Original post by ISUCKATCHEMISTRY
could you give me an example of a redox reaction, oxidation reaction and reduction. Thanks

okay so a redox reaction, is when electrons are lost by one reactant, and transferred to another. So:

For example the reaction to make table salt

Na + Cl = NaCl (table salt)

for this reaction to happen Na (being the metal in this reaction) loses an electron and forms a Na+ ion (so we can say it is oxidised) and Cl (being the non-metal in this reaction) gains this electron and forms a Cl- ion (we can say that chlorine is reduced because it has gained an electron). Since both reduction and oxidation have occured we can call this a redox reaction.

We can call the sodium a Reducing agent because it reduces the chlorine, and call chlorine an oxidising agent because it oxidises the sodium

The Na+ and Cl- form ionic bonds as they are electrostatically attracted to each other.

Hope this helps
thanks man, been confused for so long :biggrin:

Original post by Diso
okay so a redox reaction, is when electrons are lost by one reactant, and transferred to another. So:

For example the reaction to make table salt

Na + Cl = NaCl (table salt)

for this reaction to happen Na (being the metal in this reaction) loses an electron and forms a Na+ ion (so we can say it is oxidised) and Cl (being the non-metal in this reaction) gains this electron and forms a Cl- ion (we can say that chlorine is reduced because it has gained an electron). Since both reduction and oxidation have occured we can call this a redox reaction.

We can call the sodium a Reducing agent because it reduces the chlorine, and call chlorine an oxidising agent because it oxidises the sodium

The Na+ and Cl- form ionic bonds as they are electrostatically attracted to each other.

Hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by ISUCKATCHEMISTRY
thanks man, been confused for so long :biggrin:

No worries man, good luck

Quick Reply

Latest