What is the difference between reductionism and determinism? (issues and debates)

Watch
nbhjbmnjn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I always get confused between these two debates! Aren't they basically just the same thing?

They both say that a theory is being reduced down to its simplest form?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Reductionism is where the causality is explained by breaking down the process by interacting parts.
Determinism is where the events are bound by causality in such a way that any state (of an object or event) is completely, or at least to some large degree,determined by prior states.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
By the way, is this sociology or psychology?
X_Hope_X
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nbhjbmnjn)
I always get confused between these two debates! Aren't they basically just the same thing?

They both say that a theory is being reduced down to its simplest form?
Good question!
Initially I thought they were pretty much exactly the same but there is some difference.

Reductionism reduces explanation of behaviour into simple components parts.
And determism is the doctrine that all events, including human action, are ultimately determined by causes regarded as external to the will. For example, if a child was abused by his/her parents then this event will
DETERMINE their behaviour (social/environmental determism). Also, if someone had a mutation on their MOA gene then this DETERMINES their aggressive behaviour or mental ******mess. On the other hand, if something is reductionist it doesn't mean it is solely biological. Anything can be reductionist, e.g if 1 IQ test is used to test someone's intelligence then that is reductionist. Also a single explanation for a behaviour can lead to a single way of treating abnormal behaviour, or intervention, which again is reductionist. If you say a criminal behaviour is due to the environment that is reductiinist, a holistic approach would say the environment and thrill affect the criminal actions.
X_Hope_X
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by random_matt)
By the way, is this sociology or psychology?
Both subjects use the debates. But sociology is more naive and less critical in terms of these debates.
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Determinism - our behaviour is out of our control (maybe remember it as our behaviour being DETERMINED for us, such as by our environment or upbringing (environmental determinism) biology, genes etc. (biological determinism), past trauma and experiences (psychic determinism), or that we have some elements of control (soft determinism).)

Reductionism - our behaviour is REDUCED to one, or as few causes as possible,
while ignoring other potential causes (e.g. like all biological explanations (biological reductionism) or behaviour is seen as a response to a stimulus (environmental reductionism); an example is how twin studies never show 100% confidence rate and so other factors must be involved and lends support for the diathesis-stress model; another example is the cognitive approach to depression, which states depression is rooted in faulty thinking, and ignores the biological factors such as how there are genes linked to depression).

The difference between them is that determinism refers to the level of control we have on our behaviour, while reductionism refers to the level of explanation factors have in causing our, or elements of, our behaviour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
27.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.7%

Watched Threads