BTEC or A levels ? - I need help with a hard educational choice ! Watch

Dralexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I am an 18 years old male, turning 19 next month, who has been living in West London since July 2016. I came from Bulgaria and the qualifications I got there had no value here. On top of that, I had no knowledge of how the education system works in England and was placed on a ESOL L1 course alongside Maths L1. Later in the same school year, I was moved to L2 ESOL and GCSE Maths. Passed my ESOL with top marks and was 2 points away from a B in maths(that was mainly due to me not taking it seriously). This year I was refused to do BTEC L3 ICT due to lack of "certifications" and was assigned to an OCR L2 course and I've been getting only Ds (there is an overall grade D*, but not for a unit). Now, I found out that my foolishness has punished me. I want to go to the top Universities and to be more precise, my picks are Imperial College and instead of BTEC, as both Imperial and UCL dont accept BTEC or Access. This would mean, another lost year of doing GCSE's. The reason I don't want to do it particularly as this would set me back even more in terms of time, I would graduate at the age of 25, give or take, while my friends would be done be the age of 22. My question is the following, is it worth it for me to put myself under all the pressure and hardships or I should continue into a BTEC L3 and simply retake my GCSE maths? I know that it's my fault for being in the current position, that's why, if you could refrain from being judgmental with no actual intent to help. Thanks!
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dralexus)
Hello,

I am an 18 years old male, turning 19 next month, who has been living in West London since July 2016. I came from Bulgaria and the qualifications I got there had no value here. On top of that, I had no knowledge of how the education system works in England and was placed on a ESOL L1 course alongside Maths L1. Later in the same school year, I was moved to L2 ESOL and GCSE Maths. Passed my ESOL with top marks and was 2 points away from a B in maths(that was mainly due to me not taking it seriously). This year I was refused to do BTEC L3 ICT due to lack of "certifications" and was assigned to an OCR L2 course and I've been getting only Ds (there is an overall grade D*, but not for a unit). Now, I found out that my foolishness has punished me. I want to go to the top Universities and to be more precise, my picks are Imperial College and instead of BTEC, as both Imperial and UCL dont accept BTEC or Access. This would mean, another lost year of doing GCSE's. The reason I don't want to do it particularly as this would set me back even more in terms of time, I would graduate at the age of 25, give or take, while my friends would be done be the age of 22. My question is the following, is it worth it for me to put myself under all the pressure and hardships or I should continue into a BTEC L3 and simply retake my GCSE maths? I know that it's my fault for being in the current position, that's why, if you could refrain from being judgmental with no actual intent to help. Thanks!
What subject for?
UCL accept BTEC for BSc Information Management, not quite Computer Science but shares modules
Dralexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by yt7777)
What subject for?
UCL accept BTEC for BSc Information Management, not quite Computer Science but shares modules
I prefer Software Engineering, but Computer Science my second option.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dralexus)
I prefer Software Engineering, but Computer Science my second option.
Check out the course at UCL it has several programming and software engineering modules as well modules in databases, Web development and data analytics, and then more IT content with a heavier business/management focus e.g. IT project management.

Looking at the graduate destinations most are software engineers or technical analysts so similar outcomes from doing computer science or software Eng as your degree but you'd get to go to UCL.

See here - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...-business-bsc/
JoshuaAtCollege
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some other universities such as UEA are also very good and they would also give a good ICT or Computer Science grade. I wouldn't worry too much about maths but it probably will be required at most GCSE's. Reatking GCSE maths could be done along side doing a BTECas as it would be coursework dominant meaning you would only have to revise for the Maths GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (71)
32.72%
No I don't (104)
47.93%
I work during the holidays (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads