English Lit Help! Turn my 7 into an 8! Watch

HannahA2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm stuck,
I normally get 21-24 out of 30 in my mocks. The highest I'd ever got was 24. Does anyone have any tips on how I ca get that 1/2 marks? I do,
-Romeo and Juliet
-15 power and Conflict Poems
-An Inspector Calls
-Jekyll and Hyde.
Thanks!
thrifty_reviser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you type a paragraph from one of your essays?
alxxiya
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, a paragraph of one of your essays would be useful (preferably AIC or one of the poems, as I do those too) xx
Boss_Rhythm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pray that the grade boundaries fall enough for your 24's to pass as a 8
That's what I've been doing
HannahA2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by thrifty_reviser)
Can you type a paragraph from one of your essays?
so sorry it's late, I've been focusing on these exams so much aha. Er here's from my R& J which my teacher didn't give me a mark because she said it would have been demoralising for me lol but she said it fell second top band. a gade 7.
The question was Act 2 Scene 2 Romeo's sililoquy. 'Explain how Shakespeare has presented the loe between Romeo and Juliet'

'Romeo's character states that 'but soft, what light through yomnder window breaks?' in describing the 'light' as 'soft' it highlights Romeo's temptation for Juliet. It may be thyat because Romeo's character is so often almost forced to be masculine (ideologies imposed by Elizabethan England's society during the 17th Century), Romeo's character seeks the softness Juliet may bring. Socrates writes about lovers as having to be complementary and to seek what one may lack inside another person. Shakespeare therefore presents Romeo's love for as conflicted and confusing as the 'light' is said to 'break' thw window. 'Break' is a violent verb and that although Juliet's love is enticing and complimentary, it may result in harm or violoence.

Shakespeare also uses biblical imagery towards the end of the excerpt in describing Juliet's 'eyes' as being i9n 'heaven'. Shakespeare presents Romeo's character as though he worships love itself. An Elizabethan, Christian, audience would have been perhaps shocked at this statement as- since the vast majority were Chritians- would have seen this statement as perhaps blashphemy (in the Bibile it states to not worship 'false idols'). Romeo's love is presented as extending beyond what is considered love but indeed worship. The biblical imagery present in Act 3 Scene 2 where in the party, the pair flirt with one another where Juliet calls Romeo a 'pilgrim'. Shakeseare uses biblical imagery and blasphemous undertones to emphasise the illegalality of the pair's relationship'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
65.71%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
22.86%
Yes but I might change my mind (8)
11.43%

Watched Threads