The Student Room Group

Latin for A level?

Hi there,
For a level I'm definitely taking English lit, French and biology, and at uni I want to take linguistics.
However I need a fourth subject. For a while I was thinking about taking Latin, as I take it now for GCSE and enjoy it. But now I've realised that I only really like the language parts of Latin, not the literature, so I'm not sure I'll enjoy it very much.
What would you recommend as a levels to take linguistics?
Other things I've been thinking about are maths, history, psychology or philosophy, but what do you think would go well with the subjects I've already chosen? Or do you think I should just go with Latin?

(Idk if it makes a difference but I'm planning to apply to oxbridge)
Reply 1
Do history or Latin they’re more highly regarded
Original post by carabellas
Hi there,
For a level I'm definitely taking English lit, French and biology, and at uni I want to take linguistics.
However I need a fourth subject. For a while I was thinking about taking Latin, as I take it now for GCSE and enjoy it. But now I've realised that I only really like the language parts of Latin, not the literature, so I'm not sure I'll enjoy it very much.
What would you recommend as a levels to take linguistics?
Other things I've been thinking about are maths, history, psychology or philosophy, but what do you think would go well with the subjects I've already chosen? Or do you think I should just go with Latin?

(Idk if it makes a difference but I'm planning to apply to oxbridge)

Id do either latin or history.
Make sure you check the unis websites to see what subjects they require. If you are already covered, then do whichever of the 2 you would prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest