Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
ajayma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s actually an embarrassment to vegetarianism that this post is here. If you don’t know your own morals and ethics how could we? So stupid
tanaeo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i mean dude, do what’s best for you, if you feel bad thinking of dissecting a squid, don’t do it. If you don’t feel bad, do it. If you do it then regret it, just know what the squid had a good life and hold a funeral (I’m being serious, have a one minute silence, it sounds like I’m joking but trust me I’m not)
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How can you not know your own morals?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm curious how dissecting an already dead squid is supposedly ethically worse that dissecting and eating a living plant :P
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if you care about your principles you have to draw red lines. where you draw them is up to you.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Surely, that's up to you to decide? Not every vegetarian is the same.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm sure there's a vegetarian bible somewhere that you can consult. It might say somewhere in the book of Cabbage.

Or you could just make your own decision based on how you feel. That's probably easier. Every vegetarian has their own values, we can't tell you how to feel.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
also MonkeyBananaPie does not sound like a vegetarian recipe :emo:
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What has social media driven the world to when people cannot form their own personal moral code without being told by others what it should be, lest their personal code isn't the same as everyone else's.

One wonders how far across the room the OP's brain particles will reach when it explodes trying to compute and reconcile the different answers that are posted.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
also MonkeyBananaPie does not sound like a vegetarian recipe :emo:
It's OK. The capitalization is amiss. It should read MonKeyBananaPie - a delicacy somewhat like Key Lime Pie, but French and using different fruit.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
It's OK. The capitalization is amiss. It should read MonKeyBananaPie - a delicacy somewhat like Key Lime Pie, but French and using different fruit.
Merci mon brave*

Name:  bofierre2.gif
Views: 46
Size:  657 Bytes

Spoiler:
Show

translation compliance: thankyou my Native American Warrior
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seems OP got into being a veggie to join the cool krew of veggies rather than out of moral conviction, and consequently has no idea of his/her own moral ideas and wants to know the rules of Veggie Klub. Can OP rightly post sanctimonious comments to meat eaters, per the formal rules of veggie kamp, if they deny the most sacred rule: don't cut up dead squid for educational purposes? A most important question.
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ajayma)
It’s actually an embarrassment to vegetarianism that this post is here. If you don’t know your own morals and ethics how could we? So stupid
Don’t be rude. Many vegetarians do it because they don’t like meat, or think they’re cutting out all animal cruelty in their lives (but don’t know about the disgusting dairy and egg industry treatment) or are doing it for health
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m a vegetarian trying to go vegan (my parents won’t let me and I can’t ethically eat dairy I just can’t) and if it’s for ethical reasons I assume you’d be passionate about animals. But many of my vegetarian friends ‘cheat’ and eat meat occasionally so it really depends how much you care about animal cruelty
TaintedLight
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MonkeyBananaPie)
I have recently become vegetarian. At my school, we have an opportunity to dissect a squid, and I'm not sure if it goes against the morals and ethics that I hold due to being vegetarian. Before becoming vegetarian, I dissected a heart and a kidney, and if I was offered the opportunity to do it again, I might accept. The animal was killed to be eaten, and those organs are the 'leftovers', so it is surely at least better not to waste parts of the animal. However, this will be a whole squid. A squid that was killed to be dissected. So I'm not sure if dissecting it goes against my moral and ethical grounds. Help!
As a member of the Order of Green Veggienation I remind you of the Azboravo Accords of 1752 Section (iii), Clause (D) which categorically approves any (or whole) dissection of cephalopods regardless of its vitality
Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Vegetarianism isn't a religion. I'm a vegetarian too and when considering whether or not I was going to do the heart dissection at school I decided to do it since it was necessary for the practical endorsement of my course. It's really a case of how you feel about it. In my case, dissecting isn't the same as eating an animal, and so I just went ahead and did it.
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I'm curious how dissecting an already dead squid is supposedly ethically worse that dissecting and eating a living plant :P
Animals feel pain and emotions, plants don’t
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maryam200pol)
Absolutely true...
if vegans love animals so much then why do they eat their food??
Absolutely false... animals feel pain and emotions, plants don’t
rnl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maryam200pol)
missed the sarcasm.
We hear it a lot- people really do believe that so
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise