Home Alone - Anxiety Watch

EconomicaI
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Everyone,

My parents have gone on holiday for 2 weeks with my two sisters and because I have exams I am now left home alone on my own.

This is the third night (the previous two nights I have been staying at a friends) so today I am having to spend it on my own and I am panicking and stressing out.

To be honest this is the first time where I have been home alone completely by myself so it is a new experience but it is already filling me with fear and it is only 10pm.

I know it sounds stupid to be scared to live on your own but for some reason it is stressing me out to a maximum, I have exams and I cannot focus at all and all day I have been panicking and just want peoples opinion.

Anyone want to offer me advice?
haxhacks
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EconomicaI)
Hi Everyone,

My parents have gone on holiday for 2 weeks with my two sisters and because I have exams I am now left home alone on my own.

This is the third night (the previous two nights I have been staying at a friends) so today I am having to spend it on my own and I am panicking and stressing out.

To be honest this is the first time where I have been home alone completely by myself so it is a new experience but it is already filling me with fear and it is only 10pm.

I know it sounds stupid to be scared to live on your own but for some reason it is stressing me out to a maximum, I have exams and I cannot focus at all and all day I have been panicking and just want peoples opinion.

Anyone want to offer me advice?
Try Listening to some ambient tunes, what i like to do is put on the tv at like max sound downstairs so i feel like its a homelike environment, use earphones when listening to the ambient songs!

If you're scared of robbers, just know that they definately won't come if they hear a tv on
username3301482
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ive been where you are and first of all I want to commend you on how well you’re doing. Whatever you have fears about, think about how small the chance of those bad things actually happening is. You’re going to be fine, as scared and disbelieving of that fact you may be, the truth is that you’ll be okay and you’ll be so proud of yourself once you’ve got through it and your parents come back. Keep going my friend, you’ll be okay :hugs:
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, Firstly I want to let you know that it is completely normal to be a bit nervous about staying at home alone- I get you! If you are feeling a bit worried could you phone someone? A friend or relative who could reassure you maybe? Or even if a relative could come down and sit with you for a bit maybe that will calm you down. And if all that fails then just make sure all the doors and windows are locked up and put on some music and try to get to sleep. I hope this helps a bit and best of luck in your exams xxxxx
EconomicaI
Rep:
?
(Original post by haxhacks)
Try Listening to some ambient tunes, what i like to do is put on the tv at like max sound downstairs so i feel like its a homelike environment, use earphones when listening to the ambient songs!

If you're scared of robbers, just know that they definately won't come if they hear a tv on
Hey! I have had the tv on since it started getting dark - although I am not sure I will be able to get to sleep with it on

I will try the music though - I have been listening to sad songs for the past 3 hours procrastinating and its really not helping

(Original post by IcelandicSkies)
Ive been where you are and first of all I want to commend you on how well you’re doing. Whatever you have fears about, think about how small the chance of those bad things actually happening is. You’re going to be fine, as scared and disbelieving of that fact you may be, the truth is that you’ll be okay and you’ll be so proud of yourself once you’ve got through it and your parents come back. Keep going my friend, you’ll be okay :hugs:
Hi!! Thank you so much!! I just feel so stupid for feeling like this - the fact people do this daily and its normal seems so odd to me Having anxiety really does not help but I just need to find a way to stop panicking as its only going to make it worse
Hamayon jahwid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone. Well i am new I have just joint to the web. I think you don't need to be scared because you think you scared that why you can't focus. so you need to think in another way like there is nothing to be scare of. so good luck with your exam. bye.
haxhacks
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=EconomicaI;77671060]Hey! I have had the tv on since it started getting dark - although I am not sure I will be able to get to sleep with it on

I will try the music though - I have been listening to sad songs for the past 3 hours procrastinating and its really not helping

Also, if you'd like, have a look at this - it really clears my mind, you could just have it on on the background, i like adjusting for more 'coffee shop' background noise so i feel like i'm not alone.

Also for revision, try going to the library!
Izzy Cheney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, try to go to bed ASAP, double check your doors are locked just to reassure yourself, put some peaceful music on to get to sleep quicker and leave a light on in a room at the front of the house, then no one will think the house is empty! Xxx
EconomicaI
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mCookieMonster)
Hey, Firstly I want to let you know that it is completely normal to be a bit nervous about staying at home alone- I get you! If you are feeling a bit worried could you phone someone? A friend or relative who could reassure you maybe? Or even if a relative could come down and sit with you for a bit maybe that will calm you down. And if all that fails then just make sure all the doors and windows are locked up and put on some music and try to get to sleep. I hope this helps a bit and best of luck in your exams xxxxx
Hi!! I have had my friend round for the last few hours so until the evening I was fine and the fact I had been staying at a friends the last two days has probably made this a little harder. I have phoned people and been on snapchat but its the fact its my first time in this situation and I am trying my best to pretend like people are here and I am not alone but I just cant concentrate on my work.

You would think someone whos spent this whole year in university halls would be fine with living alone but the principle of being in halls and having flat mates is actually so calming.
EconomicaI
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=haxhacks;77671130]
Hey! I have had the tv on since it started getting dark - although I am not sure I will be able to get to sleep with it on

Also, if you'd like, have a look at this - it really clears my mind, you could just have it on on the background, i like adjusting for more 'coffee shop' background noise so i feel like i'm not alone.

Also for revision, try going to the library!
I dont think its attached - the link you were trying to send

Ive been revising with a friend most of today - I plan on going to the library early tomorrow as I have really been distracted since like 4pm which is not ideal
haxhacks
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=EconomicaI;77671226]
(Original post by haxhacks)

I dont think its attached - the link you were trying to send

Ive been revising with a friend most of today - I plan on going to the library early tomorrow as I have really been distracted since like 4pm which is not ideal
Whoops! Sorry, here you go https://asoftmurmur.com/
username3301482
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!! Thank you so much!! I just feel so stupid for feeling like this - the fact people do this daily and its normal seems so odd to me Having anxiety really does not help but I just need to find a way to stop panicking as its only going to make it worse
As someone who’s dealt with anxiety for a decade, I completely get your fears. I used to be scared of being alone in my house even for an hour. I now spend whole days alone, and sometimes nights as my mum does a lot and I don’t see her often because of it. You will get better at it the more you do it, that’s the key to beating anxiety about anything. By being at home by yourself right now, you are actively working on that element of your anxiety - you are proving you can do it. Proud of you and keep going, distract yourself as much as you can <3
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!! I have had my friend round for the last few hours so until the evening I was fine and the fact I had been staying at a friends the last two days has probably made this a little harder. I have phoned people and been on snapchat but its the fact its my first time in this situation and I am trying my best to pretend like people are here and I am not alone but I just cant concentrate on my work.

You would think someone whos spent this whole year in university halls would be fine with living alone but the principle of being in halls and having flat mates is actually so calming.
It is a difficult step to make, especially if you have been used to always having other people around you- if not in your own space as it were. Put some calming music on and take a moment before getting back into work- maybe once you get started with it you will get into the groove and be able to work, especially if you create your own background noise. I find when I am home alone (although it is normally in the day) that I put on loud-ish music (cos I have neighbours lol) and sing along at the top of my lungs. I also find that putting on a film or TV show that you have seen before and really like is also good for creating background noise and if that film is of the feel-good genre then it will leave you feeling more comfortable and if you have seen it before then you won't have to focus so hard on watching the film and can get on with your work.

xxxxxxx
EconomicaI
Rep:
?
(Original post by IcelandicSkies)
As someone who’s dealt with anxiety for a decade, I completely get your fears. I used to be scared of being alone in my house even for an hour. I now spend whole days alone, and sometimes nights as my mum does a lot and I don’t see her often because of it. You will get better at it the more you do it, that’s the key to beating anxiety about anything. By being at home by yourself right now, you are actively working on that element of your anxiety - you are proving you can do it. Proud of you and keep going, distract yourself as much as you can <3
I know this is going to be good for me in the long run - but its just about getting over the hurdle! I have given up with work for today as its just not going to happen and I am trying to listen to music (sad (ish) songs are even worse as you end up in tears over a random word )
username3301482
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know this is going to be good for me in the long run - but its just about getting over the hurdle! I have given up with work for today as its just not going to happen and I am trying to listen to music (sad (ish) songs are even worse as you end up in tears over a random word )
I know what you mean with the sad music, it’s hit and miss! You’re doing great, and it’s definitely about getting over that hurdle, which you are actively doing. Keep yourself busy!
WitcherClo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know how it feels, but I’d recommend what everyone here has said about listening to music, although sometimes one thing that may help in future is playing a video from a YouTube you like in the background. I find just having a voice there helps me a lot. Have some calming drinks and maybe do some revising if you can concentrate enough as it’ll take your mind off things, or try to get an early night. I’ve been living by myself for over a year now after my parents left, I know exactly how you feel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.21%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.17%
I don't think they'd understand (29)
16.38%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.25%

Watched Threads