Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend is quite transphobic and is always saying that they are invalid.He also said once that they were hallucinating.I am just wondering how to defeat his arguments as I can't think how to do anything.

Btw neither I nor any of of my friends are transgender so we do not what's it's like,we're just trying to stick up for their rights.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you think of anything? Do you agree with him?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Why can't you think of anything? Do you agree with him?
    Not at all.Im just not the best at arguing and I don't feel right letting him think he's correct.

ReputationRep:
    So he's saying they don't deserve rights cause they're trans?

ReputationRep:
    Give me specific arguments that he has said.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't think of a reason why he's wrong then you both agree.

ReputationRep:

-I'm about to get triggered-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okey)
    Sounds like he just can't articulate a rebuttle well, not that he agrees with the transphobic views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okey)
    Me and my friends have thought of reasons but when we do he just says and I quote "They're wrong because science" and I'm kind of struggling to figure out a way to beat that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanners17)
    My friend is quite transphobic and is always saying that they are invalid.He also said once that they were hallucinating.I am just wondering how to defeat his arguments as I can't think how to do anything.

Btw neither I nor any of of my friends are transgender so we do not what's it's like,we're just trying to stick up for their rights.
    Maybe because transgenderism isn't a correct morally or in any way, shape or form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kubys)
    So he's saying they don't deserve rights cause they're trans?
    He's saying that they're wrong and that they are hallucinating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Give me specific arguments that he has said.
    Mostly "BECUS SCIENCE".He also has a whole bunch of other opinions that aren't exactly amazing from a liberal point of view.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friends have thought of reasons but when we do he just says and I quote "They're wrong because science" and I'm kind of struggling to figure out a way to beat that
    To be fair there's nothing you can really say against that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Sounds like he just can't articulate a rebuttle well, not that he agrees with the transphobic views.
    Thank you and that is true

ReputationRep:
    He's saying that they're wrong and that they are hallucinating.
    Just tell him that he shouldn't care since it doesn't affect him and he could potentially annoy/hurt someone's feelings. There clearly aren't millions of people (I have no idea how much trans people exist so I'm estimating xdd even if there isn't millions, there is at least thousands, and that's still a lot) hallucinating the same thing at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FP5)
    Maybe because transgenderism isn't a correct morally or in any way, shape or form?
    What do you mean by it isn't correct morally

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be able to change his mind, my friend. won't matter what you say. people with those types of views prove their mind is made up. you can direct them to medical evidence and they won't admit defeat.

point is, it's not worth stressing yourself over. if you want to keep this person as your friend and avoid an argument, you're best to avoid the topic altogether. unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Well you aren't mentally sound if you're willing to chop off your balls.

Also there is no way its a good thing - can I identify as a female one day and a male the next? It is destructive to society to give into such weak feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking you are a different gender than what you are biologically is clearly a mental health problem which should be addressed acordingly rather than by accepting it. I'm not saying that transgender people should be treated badly/discriminated against, however, we need to help them instead of encouraging their delusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joleee)
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be able to change his mind, my friend. won't matter what you say. people with those types of views prove their mind is made up. you can direct them to medical evidence and they won't admit defeat.

point is, it's not worth stressing yourself over. if you want to keep this person as your friend and avoid an argument, you're best to avoid the topic altogether. unfortunately.
    I'm assuming this means they're isn't any chance of dissuading him from some other opinions then

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.