Is A level philosophy, ethics and religion a good subject?

Watch
Kirby...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have heard that any subjects with "studies" is blacklisted from universities. So with this A level many people would think of religious studies and not consider it during the application process. Is this true or is this A level respected?

Also what is the general feel of the class, content and workload? And how would you compare it to other subjects such as English, history and psychology?
Rhodesian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am in year 12 and currently do all the subjects you mentioned. I do RS, English lit, History and Psychology.

Depending on what you want to do at university there may or may not be ‘blacklisted’ subjects
I personally want to go in to law and that doesn’t have any specific a level requirement but at least one essay subject is preferred.

Out of my four subjects RS is my favourite.
I enjoy ethics the most although in my class most people like philosophy the most. It does have a large workload but it is very interesting. I wouldn’t say it was too difficult. I’ve been getting A’s and Bs throughout the year with minimal revision but I really like the subject so I listen a lot in class. Its workload is less then history. History is very difficult in my opinion and less revision.
I do OCR RS and you do need to know a lot of content as well as scholars and their views but as long as you stay with the structure of the essay it’s pretty easy.

Any other questions about any of the subjects I do feel free to ask.
Kirby...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
I am in year 12 and currently do all the subjects you mentioned. I do RS, English lit, History and Psychology.

Depending on what you want to do at university there may or may not be ‘blacklisted’ subjects
I personally want to go in to law and that doesn’t have any specific a level requirement but at least one essay subject is preferred.

Out of my four subjects RS is my favourite.
I enjoy ethics the most although in my class most people like philosophy the most. It does have a large workload but it is very interesting. I wouldn’t say it was too difficult. I’ve been getting A’s and Bs throughout the year with minimal revision but I really like the subject so I listen a lot in class. Its workload is less then history. History is very difficult in my opinion and less revision.
I do OCR RS and you do need to know a lot of content as well as scholars and their views but as long as you stay with the structure of the essay it’s pretty easy.

Any other questions about any of the subjects I do feel free to ask.
What are differences between exam boards because I think my school does equdas.

Also what's the workload compared to psychology?
Rhodesian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just did a quick look at the eduqas specification.
Seems like the main difference between mind and yours is the section on religion. You do specific religions I.e Islam, Christianity DCT and go in depth on those whilst I do DCT which is development Christian thought which is about the growth of Christianity.
If your school decides to pick Christianity for its exam it will be very similar to my DCT section. But your school could be doing other religions instead.

Our ethics and philosophy course also seems similar.

Personally I didn’t find the workload that large for psychology. It was easy to understand the concepts so i spent my revision learning definitions and experiments. Evaluation can be a bit difficult though. Revision guides for psychology are very good and simplify everything.
Compared to RS, psychology has a little bit less of a workload.
I do AQA. I find psychology pretty easy. And it’s especially easy to revise.

Any other questions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.56%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (74)
41.81%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.91%

Watched Threads