Turn on thread page Beta

is there anyone going to uni for NOT single minded career advancement reasons? watch

ReputationRep:
    people these days seem so much more focused, talking about employment prospect percentage rates for unis and generally seeming to think the whole thing is just a big preparation for some future job interview.

is there anyone whos primarily going to have some fun, score some grants and low interest loans, and just see how it goes from there? you know, the 'traditional' reasons for going to university?

ReputationRep:
    i mean it seriously wouldnt surprise if there are some people out there already calculating how thier student loan repayments will affect their chances of getting on the 'property ladder' as soon as possible upon graduating! I mean seriously isn't it a trifle sad that people our age are now thinking like this?!

why cant teenagers and twentysomethings act their age these days? I mean isnt becoming middle aged and suburban and part of the establishment something you are supposed to dread, not be in a hurry too achieve?! its like people are more materialistc and have no soul these days.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about getting on the property ladders asap - it's hard to do but most people want to do it as rent is just money down the drain. There's no harm in laying the foundations for a lifetime of relatively good financial habits and it certainly doesn't stop you from having fun at university. I'm moving out of the UK later this year as I don't really perceive myself getting onto the property ladder any other way (I'm nearly 22). It's not about materialism, it's just about being sensible.

In terms of subject choices, I don't think people are necessarily more career-driven at all, even though more vocational courses such as management are becoming more readily available. You don't exactly see unis and newspapers bemoaning a decline in applications to subjects that aren't specific to a certain career. I certainly only had very vague ideas of what I wanted to do when I started my (humanities) degree.

So...in short...I don't really see what your problem is.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mark renton)
    people these days seem so much more focused, talking about employment prospect percentage rates for unis and generally seeming to think the whole thing is just a big preparation for some future job interview.

is there anyone whos primarily going to have some fun, score some grants and low interest loans, and just see how it goes from there? you know, the 'traditional' reasons for going to university?
    Hmm, didn't you recently create a thread asking about your chances of getting onto MBA programmes after finishing your first, non-economicsy degree? No offence, but are you sure you're not one of those people yourself?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If I'm going to be in £20,000 debt at the end of my course, I'm damned well going to consider the financial options and outcomes. Your 'traditional' students who just went to piss their time away weren't paying tuition fees and accumulating such huge debts. If you don't think about your finances after graduation then you either have very rich parents, or you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I want to have fun at uni. But isnt qualifications the main reason we are going there?!

If your just going there to piss your money away, Surely spending your money on traveling would be a more worthwhile experience?

ReputationRep:
    I may be being shallow here but for me the whole thing is about gaining a different life experience, living away from home, learning to become more independeant, getting the chance of a better social life, making new friends and finally getting to do something I think I love all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going purely for the job prospects: I'm going to study a subject that I love, and to keep away from the scary place that is the real world for a few years longer.
    That doesn't mean money isn't on my mind, and I've certainly been thinking about the implications of loan repayments, houses and getting a job.
    You can't go to uni and jsut ignore it - it's a very expensive business, and employment at the end has to be in your mind, because you've got to get a job at some point after finishing university (unless you're mega rich) and so it'd be nice to have a degree which makes you employable, wouldn't it....?

Yes, university is about having fun, meeting new people...but it is also a stepping stone to your career and the rest of you life, if you choose that path (i.e. rather than going straight into a job). i don't think it's fair to imply that people are boring because they're being sensible and responsible about what is, ultimately, a serious subject.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    If I'm going to be in £20,000 debt at the end of my course, I'm damned well going to consider the financial options and outcomes. Your 'traditional' students who just went to piss their time away weren't paying tuition fees and accumulating such huge debts. If you don't think about your finances after graduation then you either have very rich parents, or you're an idiot.
    I always thought the "traditional" reasons for going to university were academic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I always thought the "traditional" reasons for going to university were academic?
    Obviously. But the OP refers to:

That's why I used 'traditional' in quotation marks. I'm just using the word in the same way the OP did

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going for reasons like that at all.

Nor that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    Obviously. But the OP refers to:

That's why I used 'traditional' in quotation marks. I'm just using the word in the same way the OP did
    Ah, right. Thanks for clarifying.

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to study Maths at university next year because I really enjoy the subject. However lots of people I know are warning me I'm making a mistake because something like engineering would make me more employable. They just don't understand that for me at least I don't really care about employability. I just want to study the subject I love.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt really enjoy any subjects at school i am much more interested in being social, playing sport and other things. Ive come to uni for the experience, not to do hard work really, thats just the sting in the tail that comes with everything, I chose my degree based on employability because, if i am going to waste some time "learning" then it may as well give me a peice of paper at the end of it that will get me a decent job later.

ReputationRep:
    i never want to get a job, i want to learn forever. i already know a list of courses i want to do:
    ppe, law, veterinary, medicine, equine care, french and italian, maths with astronomy, computer science. so i figure i'll be like 50 by the time im done :P
    but i know i wont get the chance to do that all so i want to do ppe then law then veterinary and i want to do evening classes when i'm out of all that in carpentry and plumbing.

but i'll have to get a job eventually. bleurgh. i want to learn and be happy and have fun understanding stuff not stuck in an office. gahkk.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I don't know why I'm going. I think I want the low interest loans and shizzle. I've thought long and hard about going to University and all the debt and stuff it incurs, and have decided the following. Though I'm not sure I want to go to University I'll have more options than if I don't - and even if I wanna do what I really wanna do after Uni (bum around as a writer, preferably in French Polynesia) there's nothing stopping me doing that.

Oh, except the crippling debt.

I guess I'm going to spend the rest of my life earning under the minimum payback limit

ReputationRep:
    Agree with lots of other people on this thread. I'm not going to university to get the highest paid job I can (as is clear by my degree choice), but that doesn't mean I just ignore finances completely; that would be stupid.
    Similarly, I'm not going to university just to drink, have fun, and waste three years of my life spending loan money - that would be even more stupid.
    I'm at university because I wanted to learn something I love, and I want a job in the relevant career afterwards for reasons of passion, not money.
    I find it more sad that your view, OP, of a 'traditional' student, and your main reason for going to uni, is to get drunk on a low interest loan and get as much free money as you can, just to waste it. The LAST thing university is about is 'free money'; and if I wanted to spend the next three years getting consistently drunk, I'd have a job right now and fund that myself, rather than getting into thousands of pounds of debt.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're confused. ''The traditional' reasons as you stated, are the things students think these days. The other idea of being prepared for that 'one job interview' are the reasons why people went in the past.

ReputationRep:

It's a bit geeky but I want to go to a uni to study a subject I enjoy despite whether or not I get a job out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I bet the OP is about 40 and is upset because he thought uni would be an excuse not to grow up.

I, personally, am most interested in furthering my knowledge of my subject.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.