Sun Cream - Dropping Down The SPF Watch

wordsearch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm off to America for three months in the summer, and I'm wondering about suncream. Though at first I'm going to be starting off with factor 50 and applying it very frequently - is it going to cause major problems if by the end of it I'm on a low protection factor? I've been told this is how it works when people go into tanning booths, and I'm assuming my skin will just become better able to cope?

Or perhaps, using factor 50 during the hottest part of the day and then dropping it for the rest?
my:favorite:things...
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well it depends on your skin type, darker skin needing lower spf and all, and ideally you should be inside during the hottest part of the day.
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you have any reason for not wanting to use a high spf? I mean, it isn't any more expensive and better to be safe than sorry eh!
wordsearch
Rep:
?
I'll be working outside, so I won't be able to go in during the hottest part.

And my reason is I want to get at least a bit of colour. It would be really sad if I came back from working in America for three months and was even whiter than when I left, haha. Every holiday I go on I'm a bit obsessive about applying it every four hours or so and therefore I don't think I've ever tanned in my life.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well use 50 to start with. If you are going to drop the SPF a bit do it gradually and don't go bellow 25. Continue to apply regularly and use after sun in the evening and you should be fine.
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wordsearch)
I'll be working outside, so I won't be able to go in during the hottest part.

And my reason is I want to get at least a bit of colour. It would be really sad if I came back from working in America for three months and was even whiter than when I left, haha. Every holiday I go on I'm a bit obsessive about applying it every four hours or so and therefore I don't think I've ever tanned in my life.
You still will tan, I religiously apply factor 50 and burn at least twice every year . But if you must use a lower spf, look for the UVA and UVB ones... I think thats right
x.Fluffy.x
Report 10 years ago
Depends on exactly how pale your skin is.

Start high (35 should be more than enough) and work down.

Factor 4 all the way
snail_87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally i buy the Boots Soltan range- they are one of the few brands with the 5 star UVA rating on the back. You need protection from UVA and UVB as they can both give you skin cancer, so you want the highest number of stars on the back of the bottle.

I would start off with 40-50 if you are in a particularly hot part of america, then gradually go down to about 25 but no lower. Lower than 25 and there isn't really much point unless you have very dark skin.
wordsearch
Rep:
?
(Original post by snail_87)
Personally i buy the Boots Soltan range- they are one of the few brands with the 5 star UVA rating on the back. You need protection from UVA and UVB as they can both give you skin cancer, so you want the highest number of stars on the back of the bottle.

I would start off with 40-50 if you are in a particularly hot part of america, then gradually go down to about 25 but no lower. Lower than 25 and there isn't really much point unless you have very dark skin.
I already have 5 bottles of soltan! Every year boots must make a fortune off of me and the ridiculous amounts of soltan I buy from them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (697)
80.48%
Leave (169)
19.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed