What topics should I cover the most?

Watch
username3880774
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got higher tier maths exam next week for non-calculator.

I have 1 - 4 grade covered but grade 5 - 9 stuff is 50/50 at the moment, I was thinking of focusing straight on grade 5 - 7 topics since those are going to be the big bulk of the questions in the exam.

I'm using mathsgenie for reference, what topics in the grade 5 - 7 should I cover?
Rauhan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would like to help you but I have no idea what qualification you are talking about, but I would love to know what qualification is that
username3880774
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rauhan)
I would like to help you but I have no idea what qualification you are talking about, but I would love to know what qualification is that
Grade 1 - 9 GCSE Maths
noname900
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do algebra and graphs. They'll be the root of a lot of things in the 7-9 bunch. Learn about completing square, turning points, functions should then come naturally. Types of graphs and perpendicular. It improves the way you think on a general scale.
username3880774
Rep:
?
(Original post by noname900)
Do algebra and graphs. They'll be the root of a lot of things in the 7-9 bunch. Learn about completing square, turning points, functions should then come naturally. Types of graphs and perpendicular. It improves the way you think on a general scale.
Using mathsgenie could you tell me the exact topics to cover?
noname900
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hypofato)
Using mathsgenie could you tell me the exact topics to cover?
Just try to do everything. Most of these will take no time, for example expanding 3 brackets. It's too hard to say what to specifically revise, because anything could come up. Histogams, box plots, algebra, graphs, vectors, proofs, congruency, circle theorems and functions are bound to come up on non calculator paper. So I would time things and focus of topics to do with calc and non calc. You should try to find what to revise on the specification from the exam board.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The ratio of marking for the exam is Algebra is 30%, Geometry 20%, Ratio 20%, Probability and Stats 15% and Numbers 15%, thus the high markers will probably be Algebra and Geometry. I'm doing the same exam and I have yet to find anyone who will say specific topics they will ask for paper 1.

Check out Corbett Maths on You Tube, he has a playlist of 214 to revise for this years exam, also his website which has a tick list for both higher and foundation, also a bit of everything paper of questions to help revise.

His website list of revision resources
https://corbettmaths.com/2018/05/08/...-2018-paper-1/

The video play list
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8F7zqxPqpIvCW6

Find a way that works for you, whether its imagery, music, etc as well as putting it into practice with the past papers.

Simon Deacon on You Tube also goes through the papers question by question in a how to tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkF...EezKfsR-ISTHgA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads