The Student Room Group

International Student Doing LPC

Hey Guys,

Any international students here who have done the LPC then gone on to do a training contract? I'm wondering what the visa process is like after doing the LPC and then getting sponored by a law firm?

Thanks!
I'm not completely sure , this is just an idea.
The salary amount for getting a work visa is 20,000 , I suppose. So, if you already earn that you can apply for a work visa which is a tier-2 visa or else you'll be on a tier-4 visa. This is what I think , I'm not exactly sure , I could be wrong.
Looking up on UKVIs site would be a better idea
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
It will be difficult.

Most firms who can sponsor a visa recruit 2-3 years in advance. So by the time you get around to applying, firms will be recruiting for their 2021 intakes.

This means you will have a gap between your student visa and the work visa. This creates two problems - 1) you then become part of a national quota which has been exceeded for the past 5 months 2) firms will have to do a resident labour market test. Both of these factors making getting a work permit much more difficult then if you were being transferred directly from your student visa.

It is possible but will be very very difficult.

I was offered a training contract last year to begin in 2019. I've been in the UK since sept 2015 on a tier 4, and will hopefully do the LPC in August (either by extending my visa or getting a new one i am not quite sure) I"ve heard that the LPC doesnt exempt you from the labour market test if switching from a tier 4 to a tier 2, but an LLB would. Will the firm still have to do that if i did an LLB right before LPC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending