Gap year after year 11? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This year hasn't been great for me. I fell ill in october, got better then fell ill again during feb-march. I have a chronic illness btw, and considering year 11 is an incredibly important year, it has made an impact on my grades and mental health too. I've struggled with low moods in the past but didn't get help for it, but this year everything spiralled out of control, so I asked for help and had a psych assessment. Turned out I have anxiety etc.
Anyway, due to this my gcses aren't going well at all. I'd like to think I'll pass most of my subjects apart from maths and science. However, I know i could do better if it weren't for the circumstances.
I was wondering if i could take a gap year after year 11 and resit my GCSEs, but i don't know how to bring it up to my school. This way, I'd be in a better state of mind because I'll have support to cope with my illnesses. Am I even in the right position to ask for a gap year to resit my exams? Help
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This year hasn't been great for me. I fell ill in october, got better then fell ill again during feb-march. I have a chronic illness btw, and considering year 11 is an incredibly important year, it has made an impact on my grades and mental health too. I've struggled with low moods in the past but didn't get help for it, but this year everything spiralled out of control, so I asked for help and had a psych assessment. Turned out I have anxiety etc.
Anyway, due to this my gcses aren't going well at all. I'd like to think I'll pass most of my subjects apart from maths and science. However, I know i could do better if it weren't for the circumstances.
I was wondering if i could take a gap year after year 11 and resit my GCSEs, but i don't know how to bring it up to my school. This way, I'd be in a better state of mind because I'll have support to cope with my illnesses. Am I even in the right position to ask for a gap year to resit my exams? Help
You can't take a gap year at all. A few years ago the government introduced a rule that you have to be in education or training until you turn 18. That means you have to go to sixth form or college or do an apprenticeship until your 18th birthday. You will have to resit GCSE English and maths until you get at least a 4 in both under the rules as well, which you can do when you're enrolled on a college course and you won't have to pay for these. Any other GCSEs you will have to study for in your own time in addition to being in education or training and you will have to pay for these yourself.

If you refuse to do this your parents will be repeatedly fined by the council for letting you truant. If you don't get somewhere sorted after a few months your parents will be liable to be criminally prosecuted and go to prison.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Glassapple)
You can't take a gap year at all. A few years ago the government introduced a rule that you have to be in education or training until you turn 18. That means you have to go to sixth form or college or do an apprenticeship until your 18th birthday. You will have to resit GCSE English and maths until you get at least a 4 in both under the rules as well, which you can do when you're enrolled on a college course and you won't have enough to pay for these. Any other GCSEs you will have to study for in your own time in addition to being in education or training and you will have to pay for these yourself.

If you refuse to do this your parents will be repeatedly fined by the council. If you don't get somewhere sorted after a few months your parents will be liable to be criminally prosecuted and go to prison.
But I will be in education if my school let me resit my gcses? Like instead of going to college am I allowed to stay in my school, which is a six form too, to resit my gcses?
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But I will be in education if my school let me resit my gcses? Like instead of going to college am I allowed to stay in my school, which is a six form too, to resit my gcses?
You can't do that because they won't let you, once you have your GCSE results you then enter Key Stage 5. Key Stage 5 has different funding and regulations than Key Stage 4 when you did your GCSEs. Every student costs a school money, including exam entries, classroom supplies, administration costs, teachers' salaries for having an extra person to spend time on teaching and marking etc.

You'll have already used up your allocated funding by doing GCSEs the first time and you don't get that again. Schools operate by receiving money from the government for every student they have enrolled in each year, they're not going to throw thousands of pounds at you because you want to do it again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Glassapple)
You can't do that because they won't let you, once you have your GCSE results you then enter Key Stage 5. Key Stage 5 has different funding and regulations than Key Stage 4 when you did your GCSEs. Every student costs a school money, including exam entries, classroom supplies, administration costs, teachers' salaries for having an extra person to spend time on teaching and marking etc.

You'll have already used up your allocated funding by doing GCSEs the first time and you don't get that again. Schools operate by receiving money from the government for every student they have enrolled in each year, they're not going to throw thousands of pounds at you because you want to do it again.
oh.. well can i resit some gcses alongside a levels? :/
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On the whole you cannot take time out of school and have to continue with the same year by year progression. That would mean that you can't take a gap year to re-sit. You would still be able to re-take some exams, but you would need to be continuing with your normal schooling at the same time.

There are exceptions to this however and you can talk to your school about your situation and what you might be able to do. At the very least your school should be able to give you support with all those things you need to be doing.
Depending on your medical situation and how supportive your school is you may even be able to ditch a subject to have more time/ energy to work on the others, skip certain lessons to work on revision/ coursework, or potentially re-take a year or take medical leave. It all depends on what is possible given all the circumstances so I don't know exactly what would be possible for you.

So yes I would suggest you talk to school about it, but try not to set your sights on any specific outcome.

What I would do is have a think about what is causing you difficulties and what your issues are. If you are currently seeing anybody about your health it may also help to talk to them about what issues you are having and how that might apply to your schooling.
This is so you can have a better conversation with school about what might help you.

Then I would write a letter or e-mail (maybe with a parent's help) saying something along the lines of:
You would like to have a talk with somebody about difficulties you are having and if anything could be done to help support you. You are having some issues with [conditions] which means you're finding school difficult and feel like you are not achieving your potential.
You were hoping they might be able to talk with you about what might help you feel and do better with your education.

It may also help to bring parents to whatever meeting is arranged. That depends on how open you feel you can be with them there and how capable you feel you are of having this discussion by yourself.

Hope that helps
Charlottie0201
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some collages do a programme where you can resit a variety of GCSEs to allow you to move onto the next level, so maybe just look around collages in your area and see what they offer regarding resits, or ask your current school like what has been previously suggested. Considering your circumstances you might also be allowed to apply for extenuating circumstances which might help with your grades for this year, but it would be best to ask your school about it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kitty900
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
One year late but wow I am literally going through the same exact thing right now, A grade student who will now just get 4s and 5s. This is exactly what I want to!!! What did you end up doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (317)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (1134)
54.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (454)
21.91%
It was TERRIBLE (167)
8.06%

Watched Threads