h26
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
just part iii so I am sorta there - I got a is -0.6i +j but was wondering can you get a in scalor form for this q -ms seems to suggest otherwise. also that change in velocity bit too is confusing me.
Name:  meeeee.PNG
Views: 39
Size:  145.7 KB
h26
Rep:
?
bump
h26
Rep:
?
Bump
baznoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
a is a vector, so you can't get it in scalar form.
using the basic suvat, v=u+at, you can get the velocity from this by just multiplying the acceleration vector by 10.
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by baznoy)
a is a vector, so you can't get it in scalar form.
using the basic suvat, v=u+at, you can get the velocity from this by just multiplying the acceleration vector by 10.
but for a you can just do sqrt( 3^2 +5^2) all over 5 to get a = 1.17 -->won't that work? An how do you know it is a vector?
h26
Rep:
?
Bump
h26
Rep:
?
Bump
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by h26)
just part iii so I am sorta there - I got a is -0.6i +j but was wondering can you get a in scalor form for this q -ms seems to suggest otherwise. also that change in velocity bit too is confusing me.
Name:  meeeee.PNG
Views: 39
Size:  145.7 KB
The forces are given as vectors, so the acceleration you get from Newton's 2nd Law will be a vector, i.e. it has a magnitude (in ms^-2) which you can find in the same way as you find the magnitude of any vector (i.e. square root of the sum of the squares of the components), but it also has a direction.

Acceleration is by definition the change in velocity per unit of time.
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prasiortle)
The forces are given as vectors, so the acceleration you get from Newton's 2nd Law will be a vector, i.e. it has a magnitude (in ms^-2) which you can find in the same way as you find the magnitude of any vector (i.e. square root of the sum of the squares of the components), but it also has a direction.

Acceleration is by definition the change in velocity Dr unit of time.
Ah ok thanks so much and how do you work out the change in velocity bit. Sorry my computer is beimg extra slow today
Prasiortle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by h26)
Ah ok thanks so much and how do you work out the change in velocity bit. Sorry my computer is beimg extra slow today
Acceleration gives the change in velocity per second, so to get the change in velocity for 10 seconds, you simply multiply the acceleration by 10.
h26
Rep:
?
Acceleration gives the change in velocity per second, so to get the change in velocity for 10 seconds, you simply multiply the acceleration by 10.
oh so you dont use any suvat equations?
Prasiortle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by h26)
oh so you dont use any suvat equations?
You could use v=u+at with u=0, a=the acceleration, and t=10, but you don't need to - it's much simpler to just use the definition of acceleration. The fact that you wanted to use a SUVAT equation seems to suggest that you might be one of those students who prefers to just rote-learn methods and formulae and blindly plug in the numbers, rather than actually understanding what the concepts mean.
h26
Rep:
?
You could use v=u+at with u=0, a=the acceleration, and t=10, but you don't need to - it's much simpler to just use the definition of acceleration. The fact that you wanted to use a SUVAT equation seems to suggest that you might be one of those students who prefers to just rote-learn methods and formula and blindly plug in the numbers, rather than actually understanding what the concepts mean.
so sorry for the misunderstanding - I actually try to learn as many ways as possible to do a question so I understand it fully
With simple and consise method you advised:
acceleration is teh change in velocity in 1 second, so to find the change in velocity after 10 seconds you just multiply the acceleration by 10seconds so i understand it

However for the suvat way how do you know u = 0 -this is what confused me
Prasiortle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by h26)
so sorry for the misunderstanding - I actually try to learn as many ways as possible to do a question so I understand it fully
With simple and consise method you advised:
acceleration is teh change in velocity in 1 second, so to find the change in velocity after 10 seconds you just multiply the acceleration by 10seconds so i understand it

However for the suvat way how do you know u = 0 -this is what confused me
We're interested in the change in velocity, so it doesn't matter where you start - all we care about is the difference between the starting velocity and ending velocity. Thus you could say in general v = u + at and what we care about is the difference v - u, so we rearrange to get v - u = at, and thus whatever value you take as u (e.g. you could take your starting point as the time when the particle has already accelerated up to 10 m/s, if you wanted to), the value of v will be greater than it by a*t.
h26
Rep:
?
We're interested in the change in velocity, so it doesn't matter where you start - all we care about is the difference between the starting velocity and ending velocity. Thus you could say in general v = u + at and what we care about is the difference v - u, so we rearrange to get v - u = at, and thus whatever value you take as u (e.g. you could take your starting point as the time when the particle has already accelerated up to 10 m/s, if you wanted to), the value of v will be greater than it by a*t.
this way is rather confusing
Prasiortle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by h26)
this way is rather confusing
Do you understand that
1. We want the change in velocity, i.e. the end velocity minus the start velocity, i.e. v-u
and 2. The equation v = u + at can be rearranged to v - u = at.

Thus it doesn't matter what u you choose, v will always come out greater than u by a*t. In this case, we set t = 10 to get the answer.
h26
Rep:
?
Do you understand that
1. We want the change in velocity, i.e. the end velocity minus the start velocity, i.e. v-u
and 2. The equation v = u + at can be rearranged to v - u = at.

Thus it doesn't matter what u you choose, v will always come out greater than u by a*t. In this case, we set t = 10 to get the answer.
ohhhhhhhhhhh i seee thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads