Struggling after A-levels Watch

Travis2902
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’m in my last year of a levels and am currently doing my exams. I’ve had a really tough two years throughout a levels, not at sixth form but at home, and my grades have plummeted. I’m really struggling to focus and revise but it’s been getting better recently. My dream was and is to be a surgeon but all my uni choices have said no and I don’t know what other options I have. Any help or advice would be amazing thank you
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Travis2902)
I’m in my last year of a levels and am currently doing my exams. I’ve had a really tough two years throughout a levels, not at sixth form but at home, and my grades have plummeted. I’m really struggling to focus and revise but it’s been getting better recently. My dream was and is to be a surgeon but all my uni choices have said no and I don’t know what other options I have. Any help or advice would be amazing thank you
So you've applied for medicine and been rejected? Have you asked for feedback or do you know where the weaknesses in your application were?
Travis2902
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
So you've applied for medicine and been rejected? Have you asked for feedback or do you know where the weaknesses in your application were?
I was recommended by my sixth form to go for a different course in mathematics/physics as medicine would’ve been a waste as I wouldn’t have been able to get it with my grades. I had a foundation year offer for physics in Liverpool but dubious about moving away
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I was recommended by my sixth form to go for a different course in mathematics/physics as medicine would’ve been a waste as I wouldn’t have been able to get it with my grades. I had a foundation year offer for physics in Liverpool but dubious about moving away
Ok so not really sure what advice you are looking for? Are you wanting to do physics? If you didn't want to move away for uni why apply to unis that would need that?
Joanna_Plater
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Have you thought about seeing the careers advisor as they know about grades and universities. Personally i would just see what grades you get in August.

Im in my last year of Sixthform and i decided to wait and see what i have grade wise to start planning my life out.

Is there other options you can do as its great to have a plan B or C if plan A of becoming a surgeon doesn’t work
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You could do bio medical science and then get a conversion course after that failing that you could do nursing and work as surgical nurse as a kind of plan C because plan A didn't work out.
Travis2902
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Ok so not really sure what advice you are looking for? Are you wanting to do physics? If you didn't want to move away for uni why apply to unis that would need that?
I really want to do medicine but physics and maths really interest me too, that’s why I applied to do them. I wanted to do a degree at my local university but they refused me straight away and I’m just wondering what options I have
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I really want to do medicine but physics and maths really interest me too, that’s why I applied to do them. I wanted to do a degree at my local university but they refused me straight away and I’m just wondering what options I have
We really just are going round in circles now. If you don't have the required grades at the moment and have got onto a maths course then maybe think about grad entry medicine. If you don't want to move you will have to do what is needed to get into unis near you so ask for feedback and work on it. Good luck!
Travis2902
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joanna_Plater)
Have you thought about seeing the careers advisor as they know about grades and universities. Personally i would just see what grades you get in August.

Im in my last year of Sixthform and i decided to wait and see what i have grade wise to start planning my life out.

Is there other options you can do as its great to have a plan B or C if plan A of becoming a surgeon doesn’t work
Yeah I’ve had a few meetings and she suggested apprenticeships which have started to appeal to me since uni seemed off the cards. However speaking to some teachers they’ve spoken about clearance and access courses and just wondered if that’s a viable path for me or if I should just give it up and focus on apprenticeships
Joanna_Plater
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah I’ve had a few meetings and she suggested apprenticeships which have started to appeal to me since uni seemed off the cards. However speaking to some teachers they’ve spoken about clearance and access courses and just wondered if that’s a viable path for me or if I should just give it up and focus on apprenticeships
Apprenticeships will earn you money and if needed they will pay for you to go to university at a later date. Its up to you whether you want to more courses or do an apprenticeship. The apprenticeship will put you in the position of what you want to be but then again you might not like it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i dont understand this. Maths generally especially in the leading universities require higher grades than Medicine. If you dont have a minimun of AAB you will get onto a Maths course at any leading university RG or similar. Some require A*A*A. What grades are you expected to get. Have you thought of resitting and trying to get higher grades at a level or the other option is afoudation course to get you onto a degree course. You could consider a graduate entry medical course after your degree but looking at what you have said here I would be surprised if you got on a medicine course at that level. you could also look at other courses in thr nedical field such such as cardiac physiology. imperial, Durham, Warwick and Bristol require A*A*A
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...thematics-bsc/
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...=BSC&year=2018
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergra...-2019/mathsbsc
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...364.1518989810
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Mathematics at Cambridge is the most competetive course in the UK. It is also the toughest course to get on in Warwick and Bristol. Phyics is the toughest course to get onto in Imperial and Durham. Someone has clearly given you poor advice
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...e-courses.html
cardiac physiology at Swansea requires BBB
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/humanandhealthsciences/
Have a look at this see if anything is suitable then check the courses elsewhere to decide where to apply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads