The Student Room Group

Careers advice ( primary school teaching)

I am a graduate who is thinking of applying for a pgce this year in the view to becoming a primary school teaching. I was wondering if anyone who is currently a primary school teacher or is doing a primary PGCE could give me some advice. Many people such as my parents have put some doubt in my mind as they have said teaching is very stressful and thus not worth going into, is this really the case? . Do the benefits outway the negatives e? ,I really just want some advice about going into teaching and what teaching is really like for those in the know.

thanks very much
Original post by kirin27
I am a graduate who is thinking of applying for a pgce this year in the view to becoming a primary school teaching. I was wondering if anyone who is currently a primary school teacher or is doing a primary PGCE could give me some advice. Many people such as my parents have put some doubt in my mind as they have said teaching is very stressful and thus not worth going into, is this really the case? . Do the benefits outway the negatives e? ,I really just want some advice about going into teaching and what teaching is really like for those in the know.

thanks very much

People who enjoy it will say good things and people who don't will say not so good things. Like any job it is stressful and teachers are some of the worst paid for what they do. But if you are passionate and enjoy it those things won't matter or will matter less. It's really up to you and how you deal with things. You will need work experience before you apply which will help you to work out if it is for you.
Original post by kirin27

thanks very much

Hi there,

You've asked a really good question here and something a lot of people probably think about before progressing into teaching.

Have you thought about doing some voluntary work in a primary school to get first hand experience of working in the environment?

We all handle stress differently and what may be stressful to one person may not be to another. Most people go into teaching because they want to make a difference and support the next generation with their futures.

If you're passionate about teaching, don't be put off by what you hear and go experience it for yourself before making a decision.

Good luck with everything - Sophie.

Quick Reply