The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That doesn't even imply that SPS is easy, let alone show it.
Reply 41
Albiceleste
1) SPS only has 2 exams in its second year. Law and history have 5. All of these are of three hours duration

I had over 20 hours of exams last year, but that doesn't mean my course is any harder or easier than the others.
Reply 42
OP, why do you care so much?
Reply 43
Albiceleste
1) SPS only has 2 exams in its second year. Law and history have 5. All of these are of three hours duration

History does not have prelims in the first year, SPS does.

Albiceleste
2)SPS horrible mutilates, conflates, and simplifies disciplines in its academic approach. It really is painful to see.

My social anthropology lectures this term have not been 'simplified' "in its academic approach". Rather, the lecturers have limited time in which to provide key components of academic debates that have evolved over forty, fifty or more years; the student's job, therefore, is to follow this up (to expand on that knowledge) in their personal study and reading.
Reply 44
Catsmeat

AFAIK, History does, but your college decides whether or not you sit them.
Reply 45
Catsmeat

My social anthropology lectures this term have not been 'simplified' "in its academic approach". Rather, the lecturers have limited time in which to provide key components of academic debates that have evolved over forty, fifty or more years; the student's job, therefore, is to follow this up (to expand on that knowledge) in their personal study and reading.

History has three, 3-hour exams in the first year.

Please, my little numpties, stop saying that I am merely accusing it of being easy; that is the least of my worries.
Reply 46
Please, my little numpties, stop saying that I am merely accusing it of being easy; that is the least of my worries.

Essentially, you're a ****head. Your 'argument' has no merit, nothing to back it up with and really, you're just trolling.
Reply 47
I really, really don't see your argument here Albiceleste.
So its OK for you to patronise and be rude to us when we are answering your question, despite not offering anything tangible to back up your own view? Nice one.
Reply 49
Albiceleste
Please, my little numpties,

**** off.

Edit: Err, Nina's post above is probably more constructive.
Reply 50
A. Why are you all feeding the troll? :troll:

B. Where's Craggy? :craggy:
Tom
A. Why are you all feeding the troll? :troll:

Erm....gives a chance to practice my argument deconstruction?

EDIT: Sorry, my post implied that there was an actual argument in this thread. I apologise for any confusion caused.
Reply 52
Albiceleste
History has three, 3-hour exams in the first year.

Not at my College.

Albiceleste

I can tell.
Reply 53
The term for the OP of, 'Disgrace to humanity,' comes to mind. A tad over dramatic perhaps, but still . . .
Albiceleste
the most backwards argument i have ever heard is 'its cambridge-it MUST be difficult!' only a very, very special type of numbskull would argue this, or else someone who has no experience of the place.

Compare this to one of his other posts:

Albiceleste
Oxbridge degrees involve more work, more exams, harder exams and more pressure in general than the equivalent courses at other unis.

Please be consistent. If you are going to argue for utter rubbish at least make it plausible and consistent with something to back it up so we can at least respect your view even if we disagree with it.
And no Chewwy, the OP isn't a bitter reject, he's a Part II historian at Jesus.
Reply 55
Well Cambridge teaches SPS. Doesn't that say enough?

Different subjects have very different needs. Its not fair to say one is easy because its not a 3 hour exam etc.
Nina
Compare this to one of his other posts:

Please be consistent. If you are going to argue for utter rubbish at least make it plausible and consistent with something to back it up so we can at least respect your view even if we disagree with it.

I was going to point out the lack of consistency as well.

Albiceleste
SPS only has 2 exams in its second year. Law and history have 5. All of these are of three hours duration

Wow, three hours duration? Holy ****, they must be difficult then! :rolleyes:

You haven't established anything whatsoever. I could take five three hour exams on simple addition and subtraction, but that wouldn't make the exams difficult. The fact SPS only has 2 exams in its second year is irrelevant: the exams could still cover the same amount of material as Law and History, and even if they didn't, they could be even harder than them.

It annoys me when people equate workload with difficulty. I don't get much work as a philosopher, but it doesn't mean the material I cover isn't difficult.

SPS horrible mutilates, conflates, and simplifies disciplines in its academic approach. It really is painful to see.

How familiar are you with the SPS syllabus exactly?
Reply 57
Nina

i wasn't referring to him.
oh right, sorry, i didn't bother to check back, i just assumed - sorry!
The reason I mentioned ASNaC is not actually because I know much about it, but because I always hear the historians/arch+anthers insulting their approach to everything they study - the usual criticism is that as a subject they have no sense of critical thinking and no sense of discipline.

I wouldn't put Land Economy in the same bin at all. The Land Economists I know have prospects that would humble even the average Cambridge grads. Likewise, Oriential Studies is just hardcore MML in my eyes.

Latest

Trending

Trending