Best cold meds? Watch

Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Can anyone recommend a really good/quick cold med that they've used. Ive gotta go for a job interview tomorrow so obviously need to be able to breath/talk properly!

Prefb brands that I can buy in boots.

Mucho thanks guys.
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Honey and lemon?
But you don't need to buy that.

Well, you need to buy honey and a lemon, but not from Boots.
Lost*in*Translation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Garlic soup (dont eat it right before your interview obviously)

Hang your head over a bowl of boiling water and place a towel over your head, let the steam unclog you

Lots of vitamins!!! Flush all the goo out of your system

+ Vics
Reue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lost*in*Translation)
Lots of vitamins!!! Flush all the goo out of your system

What are you trying to suggest? :P

I will get some vics tho.
Mr. Ed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drink water 'til you 'splode.
glowstix
Report 10 years ago
Beechams All in One tablets, I find good for getting rid of colds.
Vics to unblock nose of course, good quick fix; and Lemsip too.
Good luck with the interview.
jumpinglunch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lots of water and at least a large carton of orange juice each day paired with night nurse capsules,it will be gone by Monday.
*Liana*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Um.... hot lemon, juice with vitamin C...

However from a medication point of view, find something non-drowsy with a decongestant - like say Sudafed? (I haven't used Sudafed recently but have used something with the same active ingredient that seemed to work well) - just make sure you read the leaflet (there are some things you're not meant to take it with).

Also Olbas Oil and Vic inhalery things are good. Or Olbas Oil droplets on a tissue or something.
Xeromancer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Superdrug/Boots own brand cold relief capsules. Take two every four hours along with two ibuprofen.

Stay in bed as much as you can to sweat the ba5**** out.

Drink lots and lots of hot drinks to help with the sweating and to keep a high level of hydration.

Stick some Vicks on your chest before you go to sleep tonight and chew some Airwaves before you go into your interview to clear your nose/sinuses so you can breathe easily.

Good luck.
dottyP
Report 10 years ago
Night/Day nurse capsules.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
yep beechams all in one.

or hot lemonade with honey
qubog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Spend the day in bed. I had a cold that I couldnt shake off for 2 weeks, spent most of yesterday in bed and now it's nearly gone, so i'm spending today resting too. Not the most exciting weekend in the world but meh
YAP
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Liana*)
However from a medication point of view, find something non-drowsy with a decongestant - like say Sudafed? (I haven't used Sudafed recently but have used something with the same active ingredient that seemed to work well) - just make sure you read the leaflet (there are some things you're not meant to take it with).
Yep, Sudafed is good stuff. Make sure you get it from the pharmacist, rather than off the shelves: the pharmacy-only one works far better, and has a different active ingredient, but the powers-that-be are trying to push the non-pharmacy one as it can't be mixed with household chemicals and lithium batteries to make methamphetamine....

Otherwise - paracetamol, ibuprofen, as much as you're allowed to take in a day. Just watch it with the paracetamol as lots of 'cold remedies' have paracetamol in, so watch you're not taking lots of products containing paracetamol as overdosing on it is very bad for your liver. And always read the label, in case you're on any other medication or it's contra-indicated in your case.
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Beachams- Fluey/cold symptoms
Strepsils- Sore Throat
Corvonia-Coughs

Not sure you are supposed to take them altogether however. I have used each of these seperately though, and they worked for me! (:ditto: what YAP rightly says about watching the ingredients, particularly paracetemol content, you want to make yourself better not worse! )
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got a cough/sore throat and an important football match tomorrow. Vick's vapour rub seems to help a bit, I've had as much bitter orange juice as I could manage (don't want to overdose on vitamin C though... taking multivits too). I'll probably end up playing whether I feel better or not.
Hisoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try a spoonful of Honey for an instant sore throat fix and I found Airwaves gum better than Sufafed and Olbas oil for decogesant.
Frater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hot lemon is the best, put a pinch of salt in aswell.
stranger101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lemsip - Max Cold & Flu Breathe Easy

That does the trick for me
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Basically, all these things are just fixing your symptoms so you can get on with life while your body can get on with fighting the virus. To maximise this, as well as taking some kind of remedy, make sure you get plenty of rest, liquids, and vitamin C. But nothing short of magic will clear it by tomorrow if your body needs more time to do it!
Reue
Rep:
?
I dont want it cleared, just covered-up for a bit!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.44%
No (475)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.74%

Watched Threads