The Student Room Group

Do universities ask mature students

The reasons why they didn’t attend university earlier? Do they ask for specific details?
Original post by ElectricWarrior
The reasons why they didn’t attend university earlier? Do they ask for specific details?

Not to my knowledge, but they will be interested in your PS about what makes you want to study the course and at their uni.
None of the universities that offered me a place asked anything, although your personal statement will be different than that of somebody just leaving school.
Reply 3
All I did was send a speculative email to the admissions team.

Told them I wanted to do Comp Sci, have an MCP already, and 5 years+ work experience.
Week later I got an email saying they're happy to offer me a place, just slap it on UCAS to make it official. That's all done, and I'm just waiting for Track to update now!

I think in some people cases (I'm 37 this year) they know you're unlikely to have qualification paperwork, and even then, it's barely relevant as in my case it was 20 years ago.

Just fire off an email or three and see what comes back - some Uni's just say apply via them directly rather than via UCAS, can't hurt to ask :smile:
Reply 4
I didn't get asked this in any of my University applications.

The key thing is to show why you are motivated to study now, not necessarily why you didn't before.
Original post by ElectricWarrior

Not as far as I know, might be the case in relation to some vocational degrees like medicine.
Not for me, but then I didn't have a face to face interview. I think that I probably bring up what I did in between more within lectures to give context :-) It helps me as well as other students grasp topics plus it shows the lecturer you actually get what they are on about. Obviously only do that if you are happy talking about it - may not be until y2 when you are settled.
I actually explained in my personal statement as I felt it was important to, but it's totally up to you.
Reply 8
I never got asked why. I emphasised what I had to bring to the course being a mature student and really highlighted my experience and passion and committment to learn. I think they want to see that you have given it some thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending