Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I was out last night drinking etc, and my girlfriend had alittle too much alittle to fast. She ended up being sick and I helped her out make sure she didn't loose anything, make sure she got it all out etc.

I ended up nippin the shop and getting her afew bottles of water, told her to keep sipping on it while I walked her home. She had about 3/4 of a litre of water in about 30 mins. She said she felt better, but later on when she was at home she was sick, and told me it was mainly water (because she was in the bathroom and I think it's abit indecent for me to stand there and watch her).

I was just wondering, did I do the right thing in making her drink as much water as she can?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would have given her bread or something to eat.

ReputationRep:
    This has happened to me before :x
    I think drinking water is better than not eating or drinking anything at all. I found that when I ate something, I just threw it back up, so I kept to fluids, but with glucose in so that my energy levels stayed up.
    I don't think you did anything wrong, you were trying to help after all
    Plus it was self inflicted... :P

ReputationRep:
    lucozade

ReputationRep:
    its her fault she was in that state, your intentions were good. God Still Loves You.

ReputationRep:
    You did the right thing - bear in mind that however much water you give her, there's still alcohol in her stomach and blood at the body wants to get rid of- throwing up. At least she would have abosrbed some of the water, even if a lot of it came up again. Best thing is an isotonic sports drink (that doesn't taste too disgusting :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I was in that state aswell, but I knew I had to help her so.

Thanks for the suggestions, even though she said she's never doing it again, I'll remember the tips.

ReputationRep:
    She would of probably been sick whatever you had done if she was that drunk. I would of given her a bit of bread (like mentioned) but at the time it would of probably been a bit difficult (trying to control an extremely drunk person is hard).

All that matters is you looked after her and got her home safely. Believe me, I spend half the time I go out looking after people and then always get blamed for not doing something right which is ridiculous as if Im ever a little bit too far gone Im always left to make my own way home.

You don't really need to make them drink loads of water, just sipping water is good with a bit of food. They will definitely be sick if they already have and then you make them drink two bottles and it will most likely give them a very uncomfortable feeling in their stomach.

Best advice is to make sure your friend doesn't get that drunk in the first place, but shes not really your responsibility and Ive given up with my friends :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If she's gona be sick then she's gona be sick. Nothing you can do about it really, apart from encourage her to get it all out and not try and hold back, because that just makes it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Envy Mee)
    I was in that state aswell, but I knew I had to help her so.

Thanks for the suggestions, even though she said she's never doing it again, I'll remember the tips.
    well your heart was in the right place at the time so thats what counts, God knows what another dude would have done if they saw a girl in such a bad state.
    God Still Loves You.

you looked after her, you did your best, kept her hyderated. yea you did the best thing you coukd think of

ReputationRep:
    My brother does this all the time... he'll drink sooooo much water, apparently it helps him avoid a hangover in the morning but it sounds like a waterfall when he's throwing up. (Which I have the honor of hearing, yey me)...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.