The Student Room Group

IGCSE Chemistry paper 1 - May 17th 2018

We took this paper today and are really interested in how other people found it, all we can find on the internet is about GCSE not IGCSE, so if you could help that would be amazing!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it relatively easy although there were a couple tricky parts where it's hard to get full marks on (5-6 markers)
Original post by Leahsummers2002
We took this paper today and are really interested in how other people found it, all we can find on the internet is about GCSE not IGCSE, so if you could help that would be amazing!

good paper not so bad but I think some questions made me thing that edexcel guys assume we are dumb ...i mean look at the question where they told us to read the readings of initial temperatire and final temperature.......also look at the question where the table was given and we had to put in values like for neon and boiling point and if it reacts or not
Reply 3
I thought it was quite easy too.

What did you guys put for the malachite question?
Original post by Raka_
I thought it was quite easy too.

What did you guys put for the malachite question?

crush the malachite....react it with sulphuric acid in beaker to produce copper sulphate, carbondioxide and water then filter it to remove insoluble substances and then add magnesium powder to the solution so it will replace the copper and u get magnesium sulphate and copper then decant
Yeh I agree but they messed us up with some of the higher mark questions

Malachite question:

Crush the malachite with the pestle and mortar then add sulphuric acid in a beaker, then add magnesium powder which should displace copper and magnesium is more reactive, filter it out and wash with distilled watsr, leaving with a pure copper product
Reply 6
Original post by brainmaster
crush the malachite....react it with sulphuric acid in beaker to produce copper sulphate, carbondioxide and water then filter it to remove insoluble substances and then add magnesium powder to the solution so it will replace the copper and u get magnesium sulphate and copper then decant

Yeh I agree but they messed us up with some of the higher mark questions

Malachite question:

Crush the malachite with the pestle and mortar then add sulphuric acid in a beaker, then add magnesium powder which should displace copper and magnesium is more reactive, filter it out and wash with distilled watsr, leaving with a pure copper product

I wrote something like that. I was a bit surprised many people found it REALLY tough.

What did you get for the percentage of iron question? I got 32.7%
Original post by Raka_
I wrote something like that. I was a bit surprised many people found it REALLY tough.

What did you get for the percentage of iron question? I got 32.7%

got the same thing and I'm sure its right
Reply 8
Original post by brainmaster
good paper not so bad but I think some questions made me thing that edexcel guys assume we are dumb ...i mean look at the question where they told us to read the readings of initial temperatire and final temperature.......also look at the question where the table was given and we had to put in values like for neon and boiling point and if it reacts or not

I mean they have to put in some 'dumb' questions. It's the same every year for every paper. Some people can't do the harder questions so they need some points.
Original post by julian.c
I mean they have to put in some 'dumb' questions. It's the same every year for every paper. Some people can't do the harder questions so they need some points.

yeah saves from a U atleast
Reply 10
I'm sad that I messed up the malachite question. I might be able to get a couple marks though, I did mention breaking up the malachite with the pestle and mortar as well as the idea of displacement, but for some reason I wrote to add the magnesium BEFORE adding the malachite hmmmm...

At least I talked about filtering?
Think it was like a 5 mark question and they’re not usually too harsh, sounds like a few people messed it up actually so I’d say they’ll be awarding marks fairly ‘easily’
Reply 12
Think it was like a 5 mark question and they’re not usually too harsh, sounds like a few people messed it up actually so I’d say they’ll be awarding marks fairly ‘easily’

Yeah hopefully they'll be lenient...I just want to score as high as possible so I don't have to worry about Paper 2 at all hahaha
Yeh that’s the idea 😂😅
i didnt find the chem paper 2 hard. i could answer every question pretty easily. a lot of people in my school found it hard, i was really surprised because i was super happy with how it went. im not even good at chem or anything, i think i just got lucky with the questions happening to be on the few things i understand lmao. it could have gone either way for me tbh
Please do you remember any question from chemistry p2? Please if you remember any. Text to me please i need help
What did people put for that question asking why the crystal might weigh less than expected?
Original post by kktrian
What did people put for that question asking why the crystal might weigh less than expected?

i put the original powder (dont remember what it was now) might have had an impurity, and i couldnt think of a second one so i said she read the volume off the syringe wrong. at first i think i put that some gas escaped, but i changed it cos i realised there was a higher volume than expected so it didnt really make sense
I had trouble thinking of stuff too but I said some acid may have spilled out because of the effervescence and some water might have evaporated so it wouldn't have bonded to the crystal. Does that make any sense?
P2? How ?? P2 is on 13th right?? For olevels....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending