If you're this star sign you're more likely to be a serial killer

Watch
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
New research has found that most serial killers have Taurus as their star sign. Most people dismiss star signs however, according to The Mirror, it has an impact on whether you turn out to be a serial killer.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Do you think this could have some truth init? Do you believe in star signs? What's your star sign and do you match the characteristics?
MdE77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Errrrm hello Taurus here ... :sad:
Spoiler:
Show

gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Correlation =/= causation. Needs more if I am to think this is much more than a quirky coincidence.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was expecting it to be Scorpio.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Correlation =/= causation. Needs more if I am to think this is much more than a quirky coincidence.
This, and you also base this from a ****ing newspaper, hope you do not work within research.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's a huge difference between "Most serial killers are Taurus" (over 50%) and "Tauruses are more likely to be serial killers than any other" (which could be as little as 8.4%).
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by random_matt)
This, and you also base this from a ****ing newspaper, hope you do not work within research.
The 'research' referred to is basically some fiction writer looking at dates and spotting a pattern. Compelling(!)
noname900
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MdE77)
Spoiler:
Show

Your profile picture doesn't help :O
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is good evidence to suggest that the date you are born can affect your life.

And why wouldn't it? Kids born in August surely have a different experience in school to kids born in September, seeing as they are a full year younger for all their school life. Kids born in November were unaffected by winter while they were being created, while many kids born on 27th December might well have been delayed a few days over the Christmas holidays.

The only question is why some Buzzfeed-tier journalist decided to translate dates into Veganspeak (star signs).
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
New research has found that most serial killers have Taurus as their star sign. Most people dismiss star signs however, according to The Mirror, it has an impact on whether you turn out to be a serial killer.

What do you make of this? Do you think this could have some truth init? Do you believe in star signs? What's your star sign and do you match the characteristics?
What absolute nonsense. It doesn't have an impact at all, it simply coincides that more serial killers are born at a certain time of year than any other.
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)

No astrology is ********.For one thing some of those stars in those constellations are probably not even there any more.For another thing it's the height of arrogance to believe that the whole universe revolves around you which is essentially what astrology is saying.No, Neptune moving into libra has no effect on your love life.I mean can you get any more conceited.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
I do not like this phrase. So misused on TSR.

There is good evidence to suggest that the date you are born can affect your life.

And why wouldn't it? Kids born in August surely have a different experience in school to kids born in September, seeing as they are the youngest of their school year. Kids born in November were unaffected by winter while they were being created, while many kids born on 27th December might well have been delayed a few days over the Christmas holidays.

The only question is why some Buzzfeed-tier journalist decided to translate dates into Veganspeak (star signs).
True, but this even more so.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

So show me some as pertaining to this claim! As it stands, there is no prima facie reason to put serious stock in the idea. Needs more.

It's not the only question, but one of many.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, there's also a correlation between per capita mozzarella consumption and the number of civil engineering doctorates awarded in the US.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MdE77)
Spoiler:
Show

Why is there a strange face outside my window holding a chainsaw?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you try hard enough, (and do a bit of manipulation and selection of your data if that fails) you can find connection between absolutely anything. So no, this article is just garbage
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So show me some as pertaining to this claim! As it stands, there is no prima facie reason to put serious stock in the idea. Needs more.

It's not the only question, but one of many.
Indupitably, my good Sir, I shall indeed verily mitigate your substantial prima facie criticism pertaining to this claim, lest it be proclaimed to be a farcicle fabrication.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/18891749
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-b...rs-2012-7?IR=T
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yes, there's also a correlation between per capita mozzarella consumption and the number of civil engineering doctorates awarded in the US.
Ahhhh an iconic statistics question indeed!
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thotproduct)
Ahhhh an iconic statistics question indeed!
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

For more of that
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So your parents ****ing in July and August make you a serial killer. Good to know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed