The Student Room Group

Is there much of classic Doctor Who fanbase at university?

What a ****ing virgin, I know. Hence why I'm on anon, I'm self-aware of how tragic this sounds but it's something I love but I broadly keep it to myself at Sixth for obvious reasons, a few mates know but that's fine. Obviously this is going to vary from Uni to Uni and it might be more concentrated on certain subjects.

If there is, I'm not really introverted and quite sporty so would that be a bit of a problem in the community?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JC90125
What a ****ing virgin, I know. Hence why I'm on anon, I'm self-aware of how tragic this sounds but it's something I love but I broadly keep it to myself at Sixth for obvious reasons, a few mates know but that's fine. Obviously this is going to vary from Uni to Uni and it might be more concentrated on certain subjects.

If there is, I'm not really introverted and quite sporty so would that be a bit of a problem in the community?
You aren't anon.

Also your standard whovians now are more into the revived series. Good luck finding anyone who knows the real series.
Reply 2
Original post by Tootles
You aren't anon.

Also your standard whovians now are more into the revived series. Good luck finding anyone who knows the real series.

Oh dear, accident.

When you say revival do you mean Early revival ( CE/ early DT) which I can deal with or the MS, PC, JW stuff which is a bit **** imho
Reply 3
Original post by JC90125
Oh dear, accident.

When you say revival do you mean Early revival ( CE/ early DT) which I can deal with or the MS, PC, JW stuff which is a bit **** imho
I mean everything after the series ended in 1989.

#UnashamedPurist
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
I mean everything after the series ended in 1989.

#UnashamedPurist

As someone who felt the series peaked during Pertwee's first season this may be problematic
Reply 5
Original post by JC90125
As someone who felt the series peaked during Pertwee's first season this may be problematic
Pertwee was from long before 1989, how is that problematic?
Reply 6
Original post by Tootles
Pertwee was from long before 1989, how is that problematic?

Just how out of touch I'd be with everyone else, I've been roasted quite heavily in TARDISposting for saying Inferno's the greatest episode of all time so that's given me a bad feeling about this.
Reply 7
Original post by JC90125
Just how out of touch I'd be with everyone else, I've been roasted quite heavily in TARDISposting for saying Inferno's the greatest episode of all time so that's given me a bad feeling about this.
Basically everything since (and including) the 1996 telefilm have altered the Doctor's feel, and the character of the show. Of all the revived series I'd say Christopher Eccleston's era was best - because it didn't try to emulate or echo the original series as much as Tennant did, and it didn't go all cutesy like Smith did. I don't know too much about Capaldi, but I have had an impression that he was more of a "return to roots" Doctor than before, without being a handsome man full of catchphrases and nonsense. Basically I lost interest in the revived series about a season into Tennant's tenure, it was crap.
Reply 8
Original post by Tootles
Basically everything since (and including) the 1996 telefilm have altered the Doctor's feel, and the character of the show. Of all the revived series I'd say Christopher Eccleston's era was best - because it didn't try to emulate or echo the original series as much as Tennant did, and it didn't go all cutesy like Smith did. I don't know too much about Capaldi, but I have had an impression that he was more of a "return to roots" Doctor than before, without being a handsome man full of catchphrases and nonsense. Basically I lost interest in the revived series about a season into Tennant's tenure, it was crap.

Agreed 9 was excellent, the first tenth season was decent but I didn't rate it much after that.

Quick Reply

Latest