The Student Room Group

AQA AS Further Maths (New Spec) - Paper 2 - 17 May 2018 [Exam Discussion]

How did people find it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by psycholeo
How did people find it?

The test was very nice compared to pure, I did Mechs and Stats btw.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Stats was alright I didn't know how to do the probability function though. I did discrete which was harder than stats
Agreed, Maths and Stats felt alright to me. One question about statistics the integral resources say to combine categories for Chi Squared tests if the expected frequency is below 5 but the textbook doesn't mention it. Did anyone else combine 2 and 3 or more?
I did mechanics and discrete
Anyone else that did mechanics, did you feel like in the question on dimensional analysis where it asked you to show what the units of I were, the units of I that they gave were incorrect? Me and few friends think it might have been
Original post by scarlhannan
I did mechanics and discrete
Anyone else that did mechanics, did you feel like in the question on dimensional analysis where it asked you to show what the units of I were, the units of I that they gave were incorrect? Me and few friends think it might have been

The dimensions of I were correct I believe [br][E]=ML2T2[br][ω]2=T2[br]ML2T2=[i]T2[br][i]=ML2[br]\mathrm{The \ dimensions \ of \ I \ were \ correct \ I \ believe \ }[br][E]=ML^2T^{-2}[br][\omega]^2=T^{-2}[br]ML^2T^{-2}=[i]T^{-2}[br][i]=ML^2[br]
Original post by churchofsagan
Agreed, Maths and Stats felt alright to me. One question about statistics the integral resources say to combine categories for Chi Squared tests if the expected frequency is below 5 but the textbook doesn't mention it. Did anyone else combine 2 and 3 or more?

Yes most people in my college did
Original post by churchofsagan

Yes, I combined them. It mentions it very briefly somewhere in the textbook.
Reply 8
Wait..damn I didn't group in the Chi-Squared question so I hope that's not true..also I got really stuck on the last question on discrete.
Original post by DarthYoda
The dimensions of I were correct I believe [br][E]=ML2T2[br][ω]2=T2[br]ML2T2=[i]T2[br][i]=ML2[br]\mathrm{The \ dimensions \ of \ I \ were \ correct \ I \ believe \ }[br][E]=ML^2T^{-2}[br][\omega]^2=T^{-2}[br]ML^2T^{-2}=[i]T^{-2}[br][i]=ML^2[br]

The question said show that the dimensions on I where ML^2 it’s wasnt wrong
The dimensions of I were correct I believe [br][E]=ML2T2[br][ω]2=T2[br]ML2T2=[i]T2[br][i]=ML2[br]\mathrm{The \ dimensions \ of \ I \ were \ correct \ I \ believe \ } [br][E]=ML^2T^{-2} [br][\omega]^2=T^{-2} [br]ML^2T^{-2}=[i]T^{-2} [br][i]=ML^2 [br]

ah okay, must have been me getting confused then
Ditch a good paper, I did mechanics and stats and it was soooo much better than the pure.
Stats was alright I didn't know how to do the probability function though. I did discrete which was harder than stats

The probability function was different. We've never had to do that sort of thing before. Making it a piecewise function also made it more difficult.

You had to realise the area was 1 and then do a triangle's area to calculate f(1.75)
Then you can use that to calculate the two separate equations for the line as you now know two coordinate pairs for each.
Original post by scarlhannan
ah okay, must have been me getting confused then

Maybe you used radians/degrees as a dimension, I think someone from my college might have done that?
I still find it weird that angles are dimensionless but there's a proof somewhere.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
The probability function was different. We've never had to do that sort of thing before. Making it a piecewise function also made it more difficult.

You had to realise the area was 1 and then do a triangle's area to calculate f(1.75)
Then you can use that to calculate the two separate equations for the line as you now know two coordinate pairs for each.

I could remember that, but I just got confused because I wondered how i'd have set it up.
I could remember that, but I just got confused because I wondered how i'd have set it up.

I think having had the pure on the Monday made it quite stressful and it made doing the exam difficult.
Yes, I combined them. It mentions it very briefly somewhere in the textbook.

Awesome, must have missed it in my slightly panicked skim through the textbook.
Maybe you used radians/degrees as a dimension, I think someone from my college might have done that?
I still find it weird that angles are dimensionless but there's a proof somewhere.

the LHS of the equation was kinetic energy right?
so I did ML2T-2 = [LT-1]2
I thought of angular velocity just as velocity, not thinking about the fact that it was angle, not length
I reckon quite a few people could have made the same mistake I did, easy to not spot
the best question on stats was by far the chi squared test providing you knew what to do. It was a very good question - did anyone right down the X^2 contribution table just in case? And what where your fave questions?
Reply 19
Much nicer than pure though I left out a couple along the way and didn't have time to go back. I did mechs and discrete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending