The Student Room Group

How to get a grade 9 in English Literature

Hi, I have my English Literature exams next week, and I am part of the Eduqas course. I was wondering if anybody has some key tips to push my answers in to the top bounds and get a grade 9, please share.

thanks
Original post by joshscores
Hi, I have my English Literature exams next week, and I am part of the Eduqas course. I was wondering if anybody has some key tips to push my answers in to the top bounds and get a grade 9, please share.

thanks

ghkghkkkk same same same but unlike you my grade is usually a 4 i have this weird feeling that i could be way better like 7 but maybe im clueless

what grade you at now and what poems did you revise
Reply 2
Original post by knownasAD
ghkghkkkk same same same but unlike you my grade is usually a 4 i have this weird feeling that i could be way better like 7 but maybe im clueless

what grade you at now and what poems did you revise

currently i am arounf the grade 7 area, and i learnt ab2 quotes for each of the poems and some context for each one
Reply 3
What poems and texts are you studying?
I’m predicted a 9
Firstly, for poems comment on semantic fields and structure of them. Ensure it is in depth analysis with multiple inferences. For your Shakespeare, ensure you use a wide range of evidence suitable for the question and go in depth on keywords within the phrase, same for the story you studied and the drama piece.
I got a grade 9 last year in English Lit (AQA spec). Because none of my teachers knew what grade anyone would be likely to get due to lack of information, we kinda had to improvise.
I don't know if you have open or closed book texts (all mine were closed) but remember enough quotes for each theme/ character which is likely to come up. Although you don't know exactly what question you will get for each text, you can pretty much guarantee that the questions that came up last year probably won't this year. Come up with some original/ non traditional interpretations and make sure to back it up with textual evidence. Also, if possible make sure to write about alternate interpretations.
Make sure to include the writer's name a few times at least for each text you write about (examiners like this).
Additionally, use some 'fancy' connectives to replace the generic 'and' and 'but', just to make your essays seem more professional.
Last point: try to make the structure of your essays as clear as possible so your examiner knows what is what, ie. Intro and conclusion. Always introduce your point at the beginning of each main body paragraph; at the end of each para also make sure to relate your point back to the question to let the examiner know that you are actually answering the question.
Sorry that I've written a full blown essay, I hope this helps you. Don't panic and try to clearly structure your ideas in your head beforehand (easier said than done) and knowing your texts will definitely benefit you. Good luck on getting that grade 9!
Reply 6
Original post by MysticPancakes
I got a grade 9 last year in English Lit (AQA spec). Because none of my teachers knew what grade anyone would be likely to get due to lack of information, we kinda had to improvise.
I don't know if you have open or closed book texts (all mine were closed) but remember enough quotes for each theme/ character which is likely to come up. Although you don't know exactly what question you will get for each text, you can pretty much guarantee that the questions that came up last year probably won't this year. Come up with some original/ non traditional interpretations and make sure to back it up with textual evidence. Also, if possible make sure to write about alternate interpretations.
Make sure to include the writer's name a few times at least for each text you write about (examiners like this).
Additionally, use some 'fancy' connectives to replace the generic 'and' and 'but', just to make your essays seem more professional.
Last point: try to make the structure of your essays as clear as possible so your examiner knows what is what, ie. Intro and conclusion. Always introduce your point at the beginning of each main body paragraph; at the end of each para also make sure to relate your point back to the question to let the examiner know that you are actually answering the question.
Sorry that I've written a full blown essay, I hope this helps you. Don't panic and try to clearly structure your ideas in your head beforehand (easier said than done) and knowing your texts will definitely benefit you. Good luck on getting that grade 9!

Thanks for this, helps a lot!
😂😂😂on my mock result I got a 1
Reply 8
Original post by kizzywizzy
I’m predicted a 9
Firstly, for poems comment on semantic fields and structure of them. Ensure it is in depth analysis with multiple inferences. For your Shakespeare, ensure you use a wide range of evidence suitable for the question and go in depth on keywords within the phrase, same for the story you studied and the drama piece.

Thank You!
Original post by kizzywizzy
semantic fields

Omg, GCSE students nowadays are terrifyingly intelligent - I don't think I even heard the word 'semantic' until I got to uni... :O Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by MimiElf
What poems and texts are you studying?

Texts: Romeo and Juliet, Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde
poems: the eduqas anthology, e.g Manhunt, Sonet 43
Reply 11

Well done on getting grade 9! How many marks did u get roughly in your exams, to secure a grade 9

thanks!! I'm doing aqa as well
What texts did you do and how approx how much would you say to write???
Thank You!

Always stay positive. Try and comment on context within poems too. Here is my advice for you to try and achieve a 9 for this weeks lit exam.
1) Never waffle, keep your points and analysis straight to the point. Remember that the examiner does not want a whole book on one quote, they just want to see your ability to analyse it. Quality not quantity!
2) remember key quotes from a range of poems. (Love unlikely to show up this year, I would recommend revising nature and war). Always ensure you can like these to the questions (example- in Death of a naturalist, the writer uses “mammy frog”- don’t try and link this to passing of time unless you know to link it to the way the poem goes from childhood to adulthood)
3) Structure and semantic fields guarantee high marks as long as it’s relatable and analysed in a particular way- it’s also easier to comment on in my opinion.
4) Try and ensure your work stands out. Remember the examiner will be marking 100s of the same essays about a particular quote with the same analysis, use different quotes that may take the examiner back.
5) Watch the time, linking back to the first point. If you waffle and go on and on, your time runs out for little to none extra marks. Always have an eyeball on your clock.
6) Don’t let others try and pull you down, stay positive!
Reply 14

Thank You! This helps a lot :smile:

Thats soooo helpful, really appreciate it. I’m predicted a 9 too.
Well done on getting grade 9! How many marks did u get roughly in your exams, to secure a grade 9

Thank you it wasn't easy! I can't tell you exactly how many marks but I estimate about 28-30 marks per 30 mark question
Original post by princesslife
thanks!! I'm doing aqa as well
What texts did you do and how approx how much would you say to write???

I did merchant of venice, jekyll and Hyde for paper 1. Then for paper 2, I did pigeon english (extremely draining book) and power and conflict poetry where I compared 'bayonet charge' with 'charge of the light brigade'.

Also on average, I wrote about 3 pages with about 3 main body paragraphs per essay
(edited 5 years ago)
I'd like to say that I was predicted a grade 7 but achieved a 9. My friends were all predicted a 9 in english lit but got like 6/7. Anything can happen and don't focus too much on target grades they are meaningless on the whole.

Quick Reply

Latest