Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into buying a contract phone, because I never seem to have the time or the effort to top up my PAYG one [plus the handset is pretty much tattered and old, so a change would be nice].

Anyway, I've got it down to two contracts, and I can't decide which is the better option. Either I get:

O2's £15/month (18mth) "Unlimited Texts" package
    or
    Orange £17.50/month (15month) 'Dolphin' package [600minutes/unlimited texts]

I don't make that many phone calls to be honest, so texts are more important to me really. Looking at my calls register, since I've had the phone, I've made 6hours worth of calls - that's in the last 2 years; and sent 1500 texts.

What do you guys think? Should I stick to the text only, and just fork out the extra 20p a minute for the odd phone call here and there; or just fork out the extra £2.50 a month, and make more use of my phone for phone calls (considering I'll be using it in uni and such).

From the looks of it, it'd even out to the same price overall, through my bad math, since I have an extra 3 months on top with the unlimited text one, in which I pay an extra £45, which I suppose is what I'd pay in 15months of £2.50s (near enough, give or take a few measly pounds).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd've said Orange. You never know.

Incidentally, they add on tax and all sorts, so chances are you won't actually be paying that little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Incidentally, they add on tax and all sorts, so chances are you won't actually be paying that little.
    Seeing this, I decided to check out the 'small print' and it's 18months at £35 for the orange contract, but, if you send back your 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th airtime bills, they'll reimburse you £65 each time, which means even though you've paid £500 over the course of 18months, you get £250 back in £65 installments [making it work out at £17.50 over 15 months].

So, in effect, I'm paying:
    a straight fee of 18months at £15 [£270 overall]
    or
    18 months at £35 [£630 overall], and getting £250 back.

I'm going to try and do a re-search for something a little more within my price range that doesn't involve remembering to send back some stuff. I think, judging from the two responses, I should get one with some minutes involved.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to guess that this is a cashback deal through a third party? If so, be very wary - your cashback agreement is not with the network directly, and a lot of retailers have gone bust leaving people with no way of claiming their cashback.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've decided to scrap that idea.

The new choices are:

O2 £15/month [18mth] "unlimited texts" on O2 - Sony Ericsson S550i
    OR
    Vodafone £25/month [18mth] 500mins/unlimited texts - Sony Ericsson W950i/910i (just have to decide which phone to get if I choose this one).

I think even though I'm paying more, the vodafone one is a good deal, right? Cause O2 one is still going to be 20p/min calls, which makes 500 minutes into like £100 worth of calls.

I should thank you guys just for pointing out about the whole 'read the small print' and 'be wary of 3rd party deals', cause otherwise I'd have been kicking myself when £35 was magically being taken from my account.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.