The Student Room Group

Chemistry IGCSE edexcel may 17th unofficial mark scheme

Let's make one
Reply 1
What did you put in the question about the concentration of H+? Will the pH increase or decrease?
1C or 1CR?
Original post by mrfredmeister
1C or 1CR?

For 1C i do not remember much but I know for the malachite question it was
"You Crushed the Malachite with the pestle and mortar and reacted it with the H2SO4 to produce CuSO4, CO2 and H2O i think it was and then filtered it to leave the CuSO4 that you then put into another beaker and reacted it with the magnesium powder to get MgSO4 and Copper on its own, you then filtered it and were left with a sample of just copper."

Anyone know the problems with the half equations at the back?
"You Crushed the Malachite with the pestle and mortar and reacted it with the H2SO4 to produce CuSO4, CO2 and H2O i think it was and then filtered it to leave the CuSO4 that you then put into another beaker and reacted it with the magnesium powder to get MgSO4 and Copper on its own, you then filtered it and were left with a sample of just copper."

Ye the Cl was on the wrong side and it was 2Cl and not Cl2 as Cl2 is diatomic
Reply 5
What was that question on making salts where you replaced step 5? The 5 marker?
Original post by Bethddd
What was that question on making salts where you replaced step 5? The 5 marker?

not sure if I was right however I think they wanted us to obtain hydrated crystals so I said:
- filter
- put the solution into an evaporating basin
- evaporate 2/3 of the mixture,
- test with a glass rod to see if the solution is saturated
- leave to dry between filter paper or by a windowsill
did anybody else get this?
I have kind of written the same thing...only that i wrote about evaporating all the water and allowing it to crystallise and then hydrating it by pouring some water
Reply 8

Cl2 is in diatomic form
Cl2 loses electrons and do not gain

Quick Reply

Latest