The Student Room Group

AQA AS Government and Politics Resit anybody?

Anyone else resitting GovPol Unit 1 in a weeks time? :afraid:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Arkansas

Yh I am what do you think will come up?
Reply 2
Yep, need some predictions: (
Original post by Arkansas

Original post by op9
Yh I am what do you think will come up?

Original post by tahsin23
Yep, need some predictions: (

why are 3 of you resitting the exams?
what went wrong on your first try?

@tahsin23 and @op9 why are you asking for predictions? did you not study diligently after you didn't do well on the first try?
Reply 4
Original post by Audrey18
why are 3 of you resitting the exams?
what went wrong on your first try?

@tahsin23 and @op9 why are you asking for predictions? did you not study diligently after you didn't do well on the first try?

These people are just asking for help no need to act all upper about it
Reply 5
Im doing participation + voting behavior and electoral systems. resitting cos i somehow got a c in unit 1 and an a in unit 2 last year, i must have massively cocked up the 25 markers

ive attached the general topic of each question from past papers from 2010-17, but only for participation and electoral systems as thats what im revising. i expect the 25 marker to be about measuring participation in the UK, and electoral systems will almost certainly be about comparing and reviewing electoral systems, if it follows the same pattern it has for the last 8 exams. Also notice that in the past 2 exams, the 5 marker for electoral systems has been reused from 2012 and 2013 so id recommend doing the earlier past papers as well. i also wouldnt be surprised if we got a 10 marker like 'why did May call a snap general election in 2017' or something to do specifically with the last GE.

If you want the exact questions from the past papers theyre all here:
https://freeexampapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=101&jsmallfib=1&dir=JSROOT/A-Level/Government-and-Politics/AQA/2150
Reply 6
Original post by benkika64
Im doing participation + voting behavior and electoral systems. resitting cos i somehow got a c in unit 1 and an a in unit 2 last year, i must have massively cocked up the 25 markers

ive attached the general topic of each question from past papers from 2010-17, but only for participation and electoral systems as thats what im revising. i expect the 25 marker to be about measuring participation in the UK, and electoral systems will almost certainly be about comparing and reviewing electoral systems, if it follows the same pattern it has for the last 8 exams. Also notice that in the past 2 exams, the 5 marker for electoral systems has been reused from 2012 and 2013 so id recommend doing the earlier past papers as well. i also wouldnt be surprised if we got a 10 marker like 'why did May call a snap general election in 2017' or something to do specifically with the last GE.

https://freeexampapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=101&jsmallfib=1&dir=JSROOT/A-Level/Government-and-Politics/AQA/2150

This link is literally incredible, I've been trying to find all the old exam papers for so long since they arent on the AQA website. Thanks so much!

Not sure if theyd ask a question about the snap election cos they usually write exams over a year in advance. but i think it most definetely will be on electoral systems, cos last year it was on referenda. to rule out anything, I dont think the question will specifically mentions AMS in it cos that the was question focus in 2016
Reply 8
Original post by madcowman
Not sure if theyd ask a question about the snap election cos they usually write exams over a year in advance. but i think it most definetely will be on electoral systems, cos last year it was on referenda. to rule out anything, I dont think the question will specifically mentions AMS in it cos that the was question focus in 2016

yeh your probably right about AMS. i only mention the snap GE cos in the 2017 paper they mentioned specifically 2016 brexit referendum. though as this is the last paper they might just not bother lol
I'm resitting because I got a bit cocky last year, didn't revise much and got a B (when I DESPERATELY need an A overall). However, the fact that I'm remarkably chilled about this exam is kind of scaring me. Unit 3B for me is fine and 4B I can cross that bridge when I get there, but the confidence of having done Unit 1 well will hopefully motivate me more.
I've revised participation, electoral systems and pressure groups, and for pressure groups my teacher has suggested that the 25 marker may be on if pressure groups are good/bad for democracy, and that electoral systems 10 marker may be on the general election (so I guess talking about opinion polls + boomerang effect and to legitimise and give a stronger mandate to the government due to Brexit). I think we should also expect to have to examine the different electoral systems for the 25 marker as it tends to alternate between the systems and referendum.
Hope this helps! :smile:
I am wishing to improve my grade to an A, i have done a lot of revision and i am hoping to do Topic 1 Voting behavior and 4 Pressure groups.(reserve topic 2 Electoral systems) has anyone got any last minute tips or guesses for T1 and T4. Good luck all, X
Original post by HiGuysINeedHelp
I'm resitting because I got a bit cocky last year, didn't revise much and got a B (when I DESPERATELY need an A overall). However, the fact that I'm remarkably chilled about this exam is kind of scaring me. Unit 3B for me is fine and 4B I can cross that bridge when I get there, but the confidence of having done Unit 1 well will hopefully motivate me more.
I've revised participation, electoral systems and pressure groups, and for pressure groups my teacher has suggested that the 25 marker may be on if pressure groups are good/bad for democracy, and that electoral systems 10 marker may be on the general election (so I guess talking about opinion polls + boomerang effect and to legitimise and give a stronger mandate to the government due to Brexit). I think we should also expect to have to examine the different electoral systems for the 25 marker as it tends to alternate between the systems and referendum.
Hope this helps! :smile:

Chilled is good. I'm doing this tomorrow too. My University application depends on me getting an A in this exam, but I'm pretty confident.
political participation question; Evaluate the main factors that determined the outcome of the May 2017 election
they asked the same one in 2010
Does anyone have a list of key recent examples that would help for participation and voting behaviour and pressure groups??? got the content just cant seem to find recent examples that are not 2015
Reply 14
Original post by Sophieshort
political participation question; Evaluate the main factors that determined the outcome of the May 2017 election
they asked the same one in 2010

yeah thats a good shout.

Original post by trulidudley
Does anyone have a list of key recent examples that would help for participation and voting behaviour and pressure groups??? got the content just cant seem to find recent examples that are not 2015

this had some useful information about the 2017 GE for participation and voting behavior: https://revisionworld.com/a2-level-level-revision/politics/voting-behaviour-uk
Well, that was good.
The electoral systems 25 marker was a bummer
Original post by shannonemily123
The electoral systems 25 marker was a bummer

I actually thought it was pretty nice. I said:
Yes, because they have undermined trusteeship by preventing MPs from using their own judgement (referendums)

Yes, because other forms of direct democracy have undermined joined-up gov and the mandate+ allow pressute groups to bypass parliament (petitions)

No, because referendums have provided for the creation of new legislatures= gov closer to the people and trusteeship enshrined in the UK's constitutional strucutre.

No, because they have acted as a check on government, preventing gov from straying too far from the people; major constitutional change done by the government alone can be seen to be highly illegitimate.
Reply 18
'Define politics' threw me off, i feel like i just wrote a bunch of shite for that tbh. but p+p 25 marker was nice i thought.

i also disliked electoral systems 25 marker. this is also the second year ive spent ages revising AMS/STV/AV and it didnt come up again lol. generally i thought last years paper was nicer but oh well
'Define politics' threw me off, i feel like i just wrote a bunch of shite for that tbh. but p+p 25 marker was nice i thought.

i also disliked electoral systems 25 marker. this is also the second year ive spent ages revising AMS/STV/AV and it didnt come up again lol. generally i thought last years paper was nicer but oh well

Haha, that 5 marker was so bizarre.

Quick Reply

Latest