The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Higher Paper 1- acid pH question.

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can recall the exact phrasing of the question on working out the pH of the hydrochloric acid. I thought it was:

A 0.15x10-3 mol solution of hydrochloric acid has pH 3.0.
Work out the pH of a 0.15x10-5 mol solution of hydrochloric acid.

Probably wrong. There is a debate over whether the question referred to the concentration of the acid, or the concentration of H+ ions in the acid.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by wilksojack14
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can recall the exact phrasing of the question on working out the pH of the hydrochloric acid. I thought it was:

A 0.15x10-3 mol solution of hydrochloric acid has pH 3.0.
Work out the pH of a 0.15x10-5 mol solution of hydrochloric acid.

Probably wrong. There is a debate over whether the question referred to the concentration of the acid, or the concentration of H+ ions in the acid.

Many thanks.

Either way, HCl completely dissociates in water so con of H+ is same as conc of acid
Original post by sebdixon
Either way, HCl completely dissociates in water so con of H+ is same as conc of acid

So therefore the pH does not change? Or does it?
Reply 3
I thought that it did to 5.0, but upon talking to others found that some people believed it to be a trick question, and it didn't change...
AQA doesn't really do "trick" questions (as far as I've seen in past papers) so idk. Possibly tho.
Original post by crybabynessie
I thought that it did to 5.0, but upon talking to others found that some people believed it to be a trick question, and it didn't change...

I thought it was an AQA prank/meme.
Ohhhh and I asked my sister (A* a level chem student) and she said (from my wording) that the pH was 5 but again, maybe I worded it wrong.
Original post by wilksojack14
I thought it was an AQA prank/meme.

Especially considering the previous question was about how concentration and strength are different things.
Reply 8
I'm sure it's 3. Don't specific acids always have the same pH, regardless of concentration?

Quick Reply

Latest